FAO VAG 1.8T engine owners - what MPG are you getting?

Soldato
Only if you literally empty the tank bone dry.

£60 worth of fuel as he stated won't empty the tank these days.

You're looking at something like 45l for £60 (~135ppl), so 400 miles on 45l of fuel is pretty much bang on 40MPG.

You'd need to be using about £72 or £73 worth of fuel for a 400mile trip to be giving you 34mpg.

Thank you Kenai, you saved me the hassle of typing that response for Matt who clearly can't tell the difference between £60 and a full tank ;)

Man of Honour
Calculated when I had my 1.8t Golf MK4, APR remap for 95 ron fuel.

30-34mpg around town

No, absolutely not, unless your definition of 'around town' is quite different from the norm. 'Around town' is stop-start, cold starts, etc. You are not going to be getting 34mpg from a turbo petrol engine in those conditions. Heck thats what I get from a 320d in those conditions!

Associate
[TW]Fox;23257080 said:
No, absolutely not, unless your definition of 'around town' is quite different from the norm. 'Around town' is stop-start, cold starts, etc. You are not going to be getting 34mpg from a turbo petrol engine in those conditions. Heck thats what I get from a 320d in those conditions!

Ditto. Im getting that from around town driving in a Leon Cupra TDI (PD150).

Soldato
[TW]Fox;23257080 said:

My Octavia 1.8 TSi is currently showing 31 MPG around town.

That's not the VAG 1.8 20 VT though.

The best I ever got with my vRS MK1 was an incredible (indicated) 47 MPG.

That was a warm start, Tameside to Chester Zoo (flat) at 60 MPH.

I never manged to repeat it.

A lap of the M60 in the vRS MK1 at a steady 60 MPH was 42 MPG, my 1.8 TSi is 44 MPG.

(all indicated)

Soldato
MK4 1.8T AUG here.

~12mile commute (1 way) to work; if traffic is easy and its cruising all the way with a few light stops I'll get 36mpg or thereabouts, if traffic is busy I'll get @30mpg.

Soldato
Quite, my definition of around town will net me 24mpg at absolute best (luckily I very rarely do this). I'd be amazed if the 1.8TSI manages 7mpg better in the same circumstances.

Around town for me means probably being stopped at junctions/lights nearly as much time as you're actually moving. Generally being in slow moving traffic, never getting above 25mph. All on small built up roads. i.e. trying to drive into the centre of the city.

There are roads within the 'town' that I can drive on however, which are pretty much free flowing A roads and using those I do much better - but that's not really 'around town'.

Associate
I used to get 37-40MPG combined in my 1.8TFSI so i'm not sure if that is a different engine/level of tune.

On a motorway run of decent length I could get 45.

In parallel my new Merc 1.8T gets 30-35 combined...

Back
Top Bottom