FAO VAG 1.8T engine owners - what MPG are you getting?

Soldato
I thought said focus was broken when I drove it and checked the average mpgs

I managed 67mpg out of it on a round trip from Glasgow to Aberdeen and back at a nice sedate pace she just drives like a nutter

oh and in regard th the 1.8t

I once eeked 38 mpg out our LCR on a round trip Glasgow to Edinburgh, but I was ready to slit my wrists due to the tediousness

Associate
1.8T in an Octavia (non-Vrs), last tank - purposefully driven economically - was 37mpg (calculated at the pump).

That's 75% motorway @ 60-70, 25% cross town/A/B-road @ 30

Soldato
Yeah! I got it. I was :eek: at the highest I have ever got in anything is 50 mpg. That was a 1.8 TDDI transit connect.

I had a 1.8 T for 7 years, 47 mpg was my record!

the old tdci lump in the focus is a lovely little engine, simple to work on reliable as heck and gives good mpg figures for what it is.

that said theres plenty cars out there will crack 80mpg on a motorway run these days

Soldato
that said theres plenty cars out there will crack 80mpg on a motorway run these days

On the trip computer, reset as you coast onto the flat motorway behind a lorry with the oil full up to temperature at 4am with no traffic. ... You'd still struggle to list 'plenty' of cars.... Unless I have suddenly missed an influx of cars that genuinely on a run from cold can get _anything_ close to that.

Soldato
I'm talking about long distance motorway chomping Christ my now dead 200 bhp vectra will sit all day doing 65mpg with the cruise on(real world figures not trip computer)

Soldato
I'm talking about long distance motorway chomping Christ my now dead 200 bhp vectra will sit all day doing 65mpg with the cruise on(real world figures not trip computer)

That's 15mpg less than 80mpg... Which cars have you managed this verified non trip computer reading 80mpg in?

Soldato
That's 15mpg less than 80mpg... Which cars have you managed this verified non trip computer reading 80mpg in?

Seen 80 mpg in A ecoflex Astra estate glasgow-Dover a while back and not being funny but if I can squeeze 65mpg measured at the pumps out a fiddled with vectra that's past it's best and most definitely not the most Eco car out there's plenty that will do more than that

By anyway were sidetracking lets get back to the much more fun and comically economical 1.8Ts

Soldato
By anyway were sidetracking lets get back to the much more fun and comically economical 1.8Ts

My 1.8t does 50mpgzzzz around town!!!! the trip told me so!

Anyway, my fuel economy has taken a big hit since it's turned really cold. I suspect it's because the car is taking much longer to warm up, especially as mine has had the secondary air injection system deleted.

As much as people moan about them, it does do a job other than emissions. It makes the engine run lean at idle when cold, to get the temps up quicker.

Caporegime
The point the Police are making is despite the vehicles capability, the driver does not know what he's driving through, flood water contains hidden hazards (debris, road collapse, large potholes etc) and the already stretched resources if the authority's can be far better utilised elsewhere.

Putting it another way, I would not take an HGV through that despite it having a much higher air intake than the average Landy, for the reasons I mention above. :)

Soldato
Since the M3 became road legal we saw a big increase in our golf 1.8t mpg. The main reason for that will be that its not thrashed anywhere near as much as before

This thread and the Honda Insight thread got me thinking about the fuel efficiency of the golf

When we got the car I did some tweaks to the ecu adding more ignition timing and to make that safer and achievable it required additional fuel. I knew the car was running rich but it was necessary for the additional shove

I've been slowly changing the settings again over the last couple weeks, taking out the additional ignition timing so that the additional fuel is not required.

The full load afr was c.11.8 give or take 0.1 either way.

The aim of the game is wind back the timing and then lean the mixture, still within safe boundaries, and then see how this effects fuel efficiency once the load afr is reduced to 12.5-12.6

Caporegime
Did my best value 1.8t mod three weeks ago, i purchased some 2.0tfsi pencil coils and some adapter plates, car has much better throttle response, seems to have more power, gets a few more mpg and i no longer have to worry about coils going pop.

Great upgrade imho.

Soldato
Did my best value 1.8t mod three weeks ago, i purchased some 2.0tfsi pencil coils and some adapter plates, car has much better throttle response, seems to have more power, gets a few more mpg and i no longer have to worry about coils going pop.

Great upgrade imho.

I will be doing exactly the same mod to mine eventually. I can't believe just how turd the original coils are!

Back
Top Bottom