1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dismiss Notice

Far Cry 6 GPU performance not bad at all but is severely bottlenecked by CPU

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Grim5, 4 Oct 2021.

1. LtMatt

Caporegime

Not calling you out, you've made like one or two posts in this thread even if one of them had some things in there that were a little daft, which I am sure you would agree on now having given it more thought. :)

I was the community manager for AMD (hence the different username) a long time ago, back in 2014 on this forum. That has nothing to do with me liking the Far Cry series of games though and stuff like that usually gets brought up as point scoring to dismiss a valid opinion when there is no reasonable counter argument to what I am saying. Always gives me a chuckle when I see someone mention it. I guess the next one will be I work for Ubisoft. :p

For the love of god please don't put a mini skirt on, I'm eating breakfast here. :cry:

2. Shaz12

Hitman

I think so too. ReBar provides a huge boost in CPU limited scenarios in my experience. HardwareUnboxed saw only a 2 FPS gain in CP2077 at 4K with ReBar using a 3080 paired with a 5950X but I see at least 8-10 FPS more in nearly all scenes as I use DLSS performance mode which is internally rendering at 1080p. Someone should test this using mid range and older CPUs and not the top of the line ones like all outlets used.

I always force enable ReBar using Inspector as NVIDIA won’t be testing all games and it’s just free performance left on the table. I saw a 4-5 fps gain in RE Village for instance where NVIDIA never supported ReBar. This should be a setting in the control panel.

3. gpuerrilla

Capodecina

^ Agree. nvidia rushed rebar as AMD caught them off guard. To save face they pushed it out but I doubt they had resources dedicated to this which is why they cop out with 'we will just disable it on games if there is no performance lift'. The cpu overheads found has really put AMD in a better situation this gen which is rather unheard of tbf. There is also layers with the mobo manufacturers and their BIOS updates for rebar.

4. dualsense1673

Gangster

no your fps dropped because more gpu data slipped into vram
    prove your statements by actual evidence?

5. ToOo

Gangster

Can confirm on the latest drivers I saw an increase in AVG fps of 5fps in fc6 after re enabling ReBar with NV inspector.

6. Shaz12

Hitman

Here you go. GPU usage is maxed out in both games with bot hscenarios. This is why the Hardware Unboxed review is kind of misleading as the benefits of ReBar increase with lower power CPUs IMO.

Cyberpunk 2077

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RE Village

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Shaz12

Hitman

It was 15 FPS for me but then my 3080 Ti is getting hit hard by a CPU bottleneck so the benefits of ReBar are much higher than in other titles

8. dualsense1673

Gangster

the 56 fps screenshot has again more spillage into ram, that is what is causing fps drop (im glad you have those metrics on by the way). when more vram data spills into ram, fps drops further (in fc 6, there were 2 gb spillage, so even a higher fps drop). gpu usage will still say %99. it will always do, it also does when 3070/3060ti/3070ti runs out of vram and spills into ram

as to why enabling rbar reduces your spill into ram, i have no idea. i would theorize that test conditions are not identical. i'll have to conduct my on research on 3060ti

in the end, one thing is certain: you're not getting more frames because of rbar. enabling rbar somehow mysteriously reduces your spillage to ram, the less ram is spilled, so higher fps you get. but generally, RBAR has no such effect, as far as I know

9. ToOo

Gangster

Except I'm running a 3090 so that theory shouldn't apply to me and yet I see similar if not identical increases.
    I would suggest that it's just loading large textures to vram more efficiently with ReBar enabled hence the uplift, any vram overflow is having a separate effect.

10. PeegeeTips

Gangster

If its any use as a datapoint:

Using:
    High Settings
    3840x1600
    FSR Ultimate
    HD Texture pack
    Win10 64
    Latest (nearly) driver - the one with FarCry6 optimisation

Benchmark says:
    Max 140fps
    Avg 109fps
    Min 59fps

11. Bill Turnip

Gangster

With the PC in your Sig?

12. b-r0ck

Gangster

Completely forgot I got this game for free. Time to download!

13. PeegeeTips

Gangster

@ Bill - yes.

@ brock - likewise. got it free on the 3800XT i returned because it used to hang in idle.

14. G J

Wise Guy

All I'm seeing is 4k this, 4k that, what ever happened to 8k gaming? Cards today are trash they cant even play 8k. Wheres the 8k texture pack? :p

Is it because the VRAM usage would be above.... oh nevermind carry on. ;)

15. Jay85

Sgarrista

Wow the update recently was very underwhelming... wasn't expecting much anyway but jeez lol.

I noticed for the first time today that on UW with HD textures, everything on High except Textures on ultimate, RT on etc im only using 6gb vram.

16. LtMatt

Caporegime

How many people are using 8K monitors? Never mind that no graphics card has the grunt to drive them yet.

8K texture packs won't become a thing until 8K monitors are viable and a thing.

I've read this post several times, and it still makes no sense whatsoever. :cry:

17. gpuerrilla

Capodecina

I know right! We already have the resident experts saying nobody games at 4k as it is. 8k is like colonising mars at this point.

18. Grim5

Sgarrista

And any sort of 8k in the medium term is going to just be upscaled through the various technology like dlss, FSR, xess etc. Native rendering is nearing the end of its usefulness - we can't just keep multiplying the pixel counts forever and ever

19. Bill Turnip

Gangster

Agreed - IF upscaling can be fully mastered, and I don't think it's miles off now, I would have no problem losing native. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck.

20. Shaz12

Hitman

I think native will start losing importance as ray tracing adoption increases. FSR/DLSS are slightly worse than native but the performance headroom they provide to crank up the RT settings results in an end-image which looks much better than native. Everyone keeps saying CP2077 is blurry with DLSS Performance and it is but once you see the lighting and reflections in action, I would still take that over a sharper image.

This is why I wish Far Cry 6 had some form of RTGI or RTAO. FSR would actually be useful and the CPU bottleneck would be resolved.