FarCry2 ships with Securom DRM

Associate
The problem is that I load my games onto my 74Gb Raptor drive, which obvioulsy has limited space. Once I've played it I'll uninstall it, ready for the next new game. However, if the game has replayability factor I'll reinstall it several times over a period of time. The new system will stop me being able to do that. PLUS - add in the times where I need to reformat HDDs etc and I can guarantee that I'd want to reinstall it more than the allocated times.

I was in the same position and bought a 500GB HDD. There dirt cheap now - invest.

A modern PC nowadays needs a large HDD. Crysis Warhead was like 12gb, new GTA will be 16 I think. Get a large HDD. As for the installation of the game and sercure rom. I see both sides of the arguement but I think more people are put off buying the game if it has this protection on it. Some choose to pirate the game instead. The people who were going to pirate it anyway will do so. Offering it without secure rom isn't an option for ubisoft. Sins of a solar empire did it and I believe it was well received. I din't want a games reputation to be ruined by people compaining about protection like Spore. It's been stated that it comes with this protection so don't complain about it once you've bought it please!!!

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
I am actually liking steam more and more. It even has the benefit of my not being able to lose the disc :p

what if you lose your login details though!! :eek:

Shame about the steam prices, thats the only downfall.
agreed - if they localised steam and made the currency/prices inkeeping with say that of major games etailers then they would easily make more money

if steam did that i dont think we would see a pc game on a shop shelf again!

Associate
I was in the same position and bought a 500GB HDD. There dirt cheap now - invest.

I've actually got 2 x 74Gb Raptors in a RAID 0 - I've gone for this so that I get a speed boost in games. I don't want to install them on other slower, larger HDDs. BTW, I've got 2x 1TB and a 1x 500Gb drive as well, so space isn't an issue :)

It's been stated that it comes with this protection so don't complain about it once you've bought it please!!!

It's widely known to those in the know, mainly us forum users. However, is it widely known to Joe Public, is it clearly explained on the game box, or in the descriptions in e-stores? I highly doubt it!

Caporegime
what if you lose your login details though!! :eek:

I have mine tattooed on my penis for just such an occasion

agreed - if they localised steam and made the currency/prices inkeeping with say that of major games etailers then they would easily make more money

if steam did that i dont think we would see a pc game on a shop shelf again!

Publishers force the prices on non valve games, so steam/valve can;t do a thing about it.

Associate
Technical Spec from a certain online store:

Rating 18+ (BBFC)

Minimum Requirements Minimum system requirements:
3.2GHz Pentium IV, 2.66GHz Pentium D, AMD Athlon 64 3500+ or equivalent
1GB RAM
256MB nVidia 6800, ATi X1650 or equivalent Shader Model 3 compatible Graphics Card
DVD-ROM Drive

Recommended system requirements:
Intel Core 2 Duo Family, AMD 64 X2 5200+, AMD Phenom or equivalent
2GB RAM
512MB nVidia 8600 GTS, ATi X1900 or equivalent
5.1 Surround Sound Card recommended

Supported graphics cards:
nVidia 6800, nVidia 7000 / 8000 / 9000 / 200 Series
nVidia 8800M / 8700M supported for laptops
ATi X1650 - 1950 Series, HD2000 / HD3000 / HD4000 Series
This information is based on specifications supplied by manufacturers and should be used for guidance only.

No mention of the DRM system at all. So if I bought it from here and then chose not to agree to the T&C then I'm screwed.

Soldato
That's what they're trying to prevent, copies being sold, lent to friends. etc. etc.

It's like having no drm at all if you just got it all back if you uninstalled. That's what I'm lead to believe though.

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
Recommended system requirements:

512MB nVidia 8600 GTS

No mention of the DRM system at all. So if I bought it from here and then chose not to agree to the T&C then I'm screwed.

i would love to see farcry running on that card, i had one for a while as a stopgap and it was SHAMBOLIC

it would benefit joe public a lot if there was some kind of drm logo or something put onto the game boxes

like the elspa age rating system - its easily recognisable

if drm systems had a logo on the box/online listing then buyers would be aware

Back
Top Bottom