FarCry2 ships with Securom DRM

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
so thats limited installs for everyone...

i understand why they do it - but it just causes headaches
if i install this and it doesnt clash with something i will eat my hat

sorry if its old news - i just think they should think of a new way to prevent piracy rather than making the installation process of a game into a headache for players

anyone else feel put off / put out by DRM on games?
thoughts?

Soldato
How limited? I bought mass effect and heard it was only 3 times max?

Also says on the box need internet required to play... should say needs internet so we can spy on you!...ott I know.

Soldato
aye, i think i might cancel my pre-order and just get it on the 360 :(

what is the point in the 3 install only thing ? just annoys the hell out of people sure they must see that by now

Associate
Things like this are bad in principal but they've never had any real effect on me as I hardly ever like any modern game enough to replay it later after it's been uninstalled. So far the only exception has been Neverwinter Nights 2, which always seems to creep back on to my hard drive.

I might go back and try and pork the human female in Mass Effect when the hype starts building over Mass Effect 2 though I guess.

Soldato
Buy game + download cracked exe
It's the way it has to be...

How long until they "relax" the DRM a little after release? It doesn't really sit well with people when they are effectively renting a game after paying full price.

Soldato
why would you need to install it on the same pc 3 times anyways? You'll get free online multiplayer aswell... I HOPE.

its more if you you change any of your hardware,

I tend to reformat my HDD with any new (major) upgrades such as gpu or mobo.

So if i change by mobo i have to use another install, if i change my gpu i have to use another install.

its just annoying. but as said just crack it is the easier option. So really they shoot themselves in the foot by doing this.

Might hold off this for a bit a maybe like they did with bioshock take the limited installs off of it

Soldato
Ah... that'd be a problem yeah lol just complain on rainforest like they did with spore with the reviews, it is a shame because mass effect is a great game but low reviews are because of these DRM stuff.

Man of Honour
I reallt don't get this.. If you buy the game I don't see why this is an issue. Sure, it could be regarded as spyware, but when you load the game, you agree by their conditions. After all, theyre only protecting their asset and long term investment in PC gaming. Unless of course there are other reasons.

Associate
The problem is that I load my games onto my 74Gb Raptor drive, which obvioulsy has limited space. Once I've played it I'll uninstall it, ready for the next new game. However, if the game has replayability factor I'll reinstall it several times over a period of time. The new system will stop me being able to do that. PLUS - add in the times where I need to reformat HDDs etc and I can guarantee that I'd want to reinstall it more than the allocated times.

However, I thought I read somewhere that as long as you ininstall this system correctly then you'll get your install back. Now this would work fine for me and give me confidence that I'll be able to install, uninstall and reinstall as often as I see fit. Can someone confirm that this is the case?

This would still be a problem if your HDD crashes or the game corrupts and you cannot uninstall it properly - this has happened with a few games I've owned.

Admiral Huddy - I agree that we need to agree to their conditions. However, it's not until we buy the game that "officially" we understand the implications. By then it's too late to return it as you've already opened the software.

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
Buy game + download cracked exe
It's the way it has to be...

daft isnt it - you buy a legal copy and have to use an illegal crack to get it working - flatoutUC did that to me - was not happy

if anything drm restrictions cause us 'tech savvy' [thanks cliffyB] pc gamers to use pirate cracks on our legit games to get round the one thing that they are trying to prevent!

the irony

Last edited:
Caporegime
not just limited installs but with unremoveable (without forma/os reinstall) crap.

I can;t rember what it was (but was like a root kit) ulf found out when he tried to uninstall spore.

Pirate this one for me...

Associate
I reallt don't get this.. If you buy the game I don't see why this is an issue. Sure, it could be regarded as spyware, but when you load the game, you agree by their conditions. After all, theyre only protecting their asset and long term investment in PC gaming. Unless of course there are other reasons.
It doesn't affect piracy, many people take issue with the fact that only those buying genuine copies are being inconvenienced. It does help to prevent the lending to friends and selling on issue though, which is technically indistinguishable from piracy. Whether you believe that is enough reason to inconvenience your target demographic is open to debate.

It seems to be very popular nowadays, I would love to see some sales figures of DRM infused games, to see if DRM is actually statistically beneficial.

Soldato

Because for something you paid money for, you are actually only able to install hassle free a set number of times.

So in other words, you crack a game that you paid for, so basically you are going through the annoyances that a pirate goes through, and aren't getting it for free. The only good thing is that you can say that you own the legit game.

I understand WHY they do it, but it is still a pain in the butt.

Back
Top Bottom