FarCry2 ships with Securom DRM

Soldato
I like how people complain about DRM, however offer no alternative to the system.

Because unlike games company execs, we dont get paid for coming up with alternatives.

Steam is good, but has its flaws. I wont invest a lot of value in steam games, incase I lose or have my account details stolen, or if Valve go out of business.

I have a loft and cupboards to store games.... quite happy to do so for the time being, I just want to own what I buy.

Heres a starter for 10: DRM restricted game, £20. Non-DRM game, £30. Explain on box why, see which gets most sales?

Associate
bit ****** off by this, gonna be buying a new pc next year, so that will be 2 installs, and then i'm sure i will do a format at some point!

Sorry but did you read the thread?

"- Uninstalling the game “refunds” an activation. This process is called “revoke”, so as long as you complete proper uninstall you will be able to install the game an unlimited number of times on 3 systems."

:rolleyes:

Soldato
Sorry but did you read the thread?

"- Uninstalling the game “refunds” an activation. This process is called “revoke”, so as long as you complete proper uninstall you will be able to install the game an unlimited number of times on 3 systems."
:rolleyes:

Thats exactly it. Rental, just by another name.

System 1 = current system.
System 2 = current system after a corrupt Windows install
System 3 = current system after a HDD failure
System 4 = ???

My issue with this is how its treating paying customers. If I want to get treatment like this, I can go to McDonalds :D
(or put my money in an icelandic bank.... )

Soldato
Thats exactly it. Rental, just by another name.

System 1 = current system.
System 2 = current system after a corrupt Windows install
System 3 = current system after a HDD failure
System 4 = ???

My issue with this is how its treating paying customers. If I want to get treatment like this, I can go to McDonalds :D
(or put my money in an icelandic bank.... )

totally agree with you when i format my pc i could not be bothered uninstalling games.

ps: nice core clock on your 8800gt 7000 :eek: must be world record :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Soldato
so thats limited installs for everyone...

i understand why they do it - but it just causes headaches
if i install this and it doesnt clash with something i will eat my hat

sorry if its old news - i just think they should think of a new way to prevent piracy rather than making the installation process of a game into a headache for players

anyone else feel put off / put out by DRM on games?
thoughts?

This will encourage more piracy if anything, even if people purchase the game legitimately they'll still want to crack it to get rid of the crappy DRM

Don
thing is though, often when someone is formatting, it's not because 'they want to' it's because the system has died in one way or another

and unless you're taking an image of the system with the game insatlled, then you get caught out.

stupid idea

Soldato
What is the point of DRM? Well, it's to prevent piracy. However, once the game has been cracked, which normally doesn't take long, then how will it lower piracy from that point on? I know it's especially important to protect their games in the first few weeks of release, which perhaps DRM does help with, but once it has been cracked they might as well remove the whole DRM system as anyone who wants to pirate it can easily do so regardless.

Associate
what does DRM do for a game - that NOT having DRM doesnt do.

it doesnt prevent it being pirated thats for sure, so really whats the reason for it.

the only reason i can think of is preventing resale, and like people here have said the market for 2nd hand pc games is tiny -- like car boot tiny.

Man of Honour
Because for something you paid money for, you are actually only able to install hassle free a set number of times.

So in other words, you crack a game that you paid for, so basically you are going through the annoyances that a pirate goes through, and aren't getting it for free. The only good thing is that you can say that you own the legit game.

I understand WHY they do it, but it is still a pain in the butt.

I bought a ticket to Alton towers, why can't I just keep going back whenever I want...

Consider what you're actually paying for, rather than what you think you should pay for, when you make your purchasing decisions.

It also helps when people don't just turn to piracy, as that just makes the situation worse...

Back
Top Bottom