Fat Tax - Nanny State at work?

Soldato
Fat Tax

I think this is another way for the state to impose another money making revenue stream and will affect the poor people even more. I thought we were free to choose if we smoked, free to choose what we do with our lives and free to choose what we want to eat. It's seems we are being forced, by imposing fees to such 'choices' that we are being driven into things we would not ordinarily choose.

The old saying "Throw a frog into a pot of boiling water and it will jump straight out again. Throw the same frog into a pot of water and heat it slowly and it will boil to death." is quite apt for what is happening to us as a nation.

What are your thoughts?

Soldato
when i read the title i thought it meant they tax the fat as opposed to taxing the fatty food

the extra tax pays for the fat **** who drain money out of the NHS with lipo suction which is why i thought the above would be better. dont see why i should have to pay for someone who can't keep out the cake shop.

MW

Man of Honour
I dont think its going to work the way they want it to, I dont think they can be so niave to think that upping the price by a few pence is going to stop people eatting it.
They do the same thing with alcohol and ciggarettes every year or two and its not had an effect on there use.

Soldato
I'm all for taxing fatties. It's a shame it can't be more direct and has to be applied to all food with a high fat content (meaning the normal people who like to treat themselves every now and again have to pay more to do so).

Obesity is becoming a massive problem (literally), it is a huge drain on the health service. People who want to be huge and fat are still free to do so, they just shouldn't expect the rest of us to fund the costs that their habit creates.

I don't for a second think that this slight increase in price will reduce the amount people eat, but hopefully it'll put more money into funding the NHS (we can all dream!).

It's the same with flights, I get charged for taking a few kg over the allowance (fair enough in itself), however someone else on the same flight could easily be 30+kg heavier then me yet doesn't have to pay any extra because they happen to have kept all their cakes and chocolate in their hand luggage.

Soldato
I'm very much in favour of the idea. I try and eat healthily and to be honest I think I do but I can't resist chocolate, crisps and cakes. I am a miser though so this would be a good way to steer me away from them.

Soldato
After the smoking ban it's only fair to tax us fatties too. It might even mean some of us considering healthier alternatives once it starts to hit us in the pocket more.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Taxation has never really solved any problems before... Why do people think this one will be different?

Permabanned
Dolph said:
Taxation has never really solved any problems before... Why do people think this one will be different?
Purely a guess but I think that a lot of budget food is high in fat and salt etc.
Possibly making such low quality food more expensive via tax, unless it becomes less full of nasties, would encourage the food industry to make quality budget food.

Soldato
VIRII said:
Purely a guess but I think that a lot of budget food is high in fat and salt etc.
Possibly making such low quality food more expensive via tax, unless it becomes less full of nasties, would encourage the food industry to make quality budget food.

But isnt it full of nasties because otherwise it tastes like crap because the quality of the stuff that goes in there is poor. It therefore makes the food not so budget to use better ingredients.

I remember some company taking a load of salt from their food, and in the end put it all back in because it tasted awful without it.

Soldato
Just look at prohibition in the US, did nothing but increase crime and corruption. I don't see why people think taxing "fat" foods is going to help. Just another way for the government to siphon off your hard-earned money...

Soldato
yak.h'cir said:
Obesity is becoming a massive problem (literally), it is a huge drain on the health service. People who want to be huge and fat are still free to do so, they just shouldn't expect the rest of us to fund the costs that their habit creates.

I would like to tax people who play sports or go to the gym. They are far more likely to be injured with their habits and become a drain on health services. These so called healthy people seem to get lots of injuries. Go to your your local A&E on a Saturday and sunday morning and see the waiting room full of sports injuries.

Infact lets tax all old people while we are at it as they are bound to need more care than the youngsters.

Last edited:

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Third Opinion said:
I would like to tax people who play sports or go to the gym. They are far more likely to be injured with their habits and become a drain on health services. These so called healthy people seem to get lots of injuries. Go to your your local A&E on a Saturday and sunday morning and see the waiting room full of sports injuries.

Not to mention they produce 10 times more CO2 while indulging in their "healthy lifestyle". ;)

Soldato
Third Opinion said:

I don't have any figures to back this up but I'm quiet confident that the cost of treating broken bones etc pales in comparison to the cost of treating all the conditions that go hand in hand with obesity. Also people who exercise are far more likelier to be much healthier in old age so the cost of their care will be far reduced.

Third Opinion said:
Infact lets tax all old people while we are at it as they are bound to need more care than the youngsters.

Thats just a ridicules statement.

Everyone pays into the system and it's that money that is meant to look after our treatment in old age. It's the people that intentionally place themselves in a position which will make them a larger burden on the state that should be made to pay more. I.e. if you smoke you're more likely to get lung cancer which costs a fortune to treat, therefore smoking is taxed heavily to make up this cost. If you spend your life eating junk food it's likely that you're going to need a whole lot more treatment then you would have done had you been normal and healthy, therefore you should pay extra to help relieve the burden you create for everyone else.

Associate
yak.h'cir said:
I don't have any figures to back this up but I'm quiet confident that the cost of treating broken bones etc pales in comparison to the cost of treating all the conditions that go hand in hand with obesity. Also people who exercise are far more likelier to be much healthier in old age so the cost of their care will be far reduced.

Everyone pays into the system and it's that money that is meant to look after our treatment in old age. It's the people that intentionally place themselves in a position which will make them a larger burden on the state that should be made to pay more. I.e. if you smoke you're more likely to get lung cancer which costs a fortune to treat, therefore smoking is taxed heavily to make up this cost. If you spend your life eating junk food it's likely that you're going to need a whole lot more treatment then you would have done had you been normal and healthy, therefore you should pay extra to help relieve the burden you create for everyone else.

Sorry, but you're talking bull. Once off injuries from sports etc are seemingly expensive to fix, but they are just that, once off. Paid and over with. Compare with the problems with obesity. That brings along all sorts of problems, diabetes, hypertension, heart problems, kidney problems... the lot.... i can tell you for a fact, that if you have any one of those, your ongoing secondary prevention drugs will make any operation for a sporting injury look like chump change... dont even mention coronary bypass/renal dialysis all pals with obesity...

But, the kicker is that nothing costs more than, personal care. Ongoing personal care when you're old and infirm will hurt, and reason is, that is goes on for a very long time. Those with illnesses etc will die, sad but true, and the dead dont cost anything further to the rest of us. OTOH, if you live into your 100, the decades of care you need will be very expensive. If you look at it financially, even if you contributed NI and saved all your life, it is unlikely you would have been able to fund what you need yourself anyhow.

Personally, they can tax whatever they want. I'll just buy the cheaper product, and when they tax that too, i'll just charge my customers more... and so will everybody else, then inflation will hit, and hurt us all... wonderful..

Soldato
I think the massive increase in refined carbohydrates in diets post WW2 has more to do with people getting fat than the actual fat content of foods.
There is some bizarre obsession with the idea that all fats are bad, if you look at the interaction between fats, insulin and carbohydrates I'd posit reducing sugar consumption would have more of an effect.

I see this much as I do the current obsession with CO2 production, yes it's a factor (probably more important than fats but still), but ignoring other factors that affect us for the sake of one will probably not lead to the desired outcome.