• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Faulty 3070 :-(

Soldato
I’ve been really enjoying my Palit 3070 bought on release day but it seems to have died.

It was working fine for a few hours of Shadow of the Tomb Raider on Monday evening but today anything 3D crashes either on opening or shortly after. I’m getting occasional blue screens on restart and boot up and other weird behaviour as well. TimeSpy won’t run at all. I got it to the title of SOTTR just now and got flickering graphics artifacts followed by a freeze, crash to desktop and blue screen.

I’ll try my old 1070 in it later to confirm but I think it’s RMA time. I wonder how long it will take.....

Soldato
OP
Just installed the 1070 and it ran Time Spy fine but crashed within 30sec of loading Forza 4. Bad news: PC is Fubar. Good news: it might not be the card.......

Soldato
I’ve been really enjoying my Palit 3070 bought on release day but it seems to have died.

It was working fine for a few hours of Shadow of the Tomb Raider on Monday evening but today anything 3D crashes either on opening or shortly after. I’m getting occasional blue screens on restart and boot up and other weird behaviour as well. TimeSpy won’t run at all. I got it to the title of SOTTR just now and got flickering graphics artifacts followed by a freeze, crash to desktop and blue screen.

I’ll try my old 1070 in it later to confirm but I think it’s RMA time. I wonder how long it will take.....

What PSU are you using?

If it's the one in your sig it might be a problem.

Soldato
OP
PSU is about a year old. Everything completely stable until today.

I don’t understand quite why it was flawless on Monday and a complete mess now. I’ve just taken out a couple of sticks of RAM and testing again....

Associate
Similar problem here with my Palit 3070; I was getting artefacts in windows and 'display driver stopped responding' messages despite reinstalling the newest drivers and reseating/connecting the card.

RMA'd it so I guess we will wait and see.

Soldato
PSU is about a year old. Everything completely stable until today.

I don’t understand quite why it was flawless on Monday and a complete mess now. I’ve just taken out a couple of sticks of RAM and testing again....

Your new GPU will need a fair bit more power, so issues won’t have arisen straight away :) Can be a matter of days, weeks or months

I’d look and sorting PSU first for a 650w - I’ve heard the 3xxx can pull high current

Soldato
OP
Similar problem here with my Palit 3070; I was getting artefacts in windows and 'display driver stopped responding' messages despite reinstalling the newest drivers and reseating/connecting the card.

RMA'd it so I guess we will wait and see.
I’ve not had that message. SOTTR was kicking me out after a couple off minutes with ‘dxgi error device removed’ and nothing else 3D was launching which made me think it was the card.

The 1070 is known working though so I’m pretty sure it’s something else. Put the 3070 back in and Time Spy just completed with a graphics score of 14457 so it seems healthy at the moment.

Soldato
OP
Your new GPU will need a fair bit more power, so issues won’t have arisen straight away :) Can be a matter of days, weeks or months

I’d look and sorting PSU first for a 650w - I’ve heard the 3xxx can pull high current

Sounds plausible. Why would the 1070 also crash now? Have I damaged the psu by overloading it?

Soldato
OP
If you have damaged the PSU with the 3070 then yes it may be struggling with any load on it :(

Ok thanks. I had slightly mismatched RAM (same timing and frequency, different size) and removing one of the kits seems to have improved things. TimeSpy completed and it’s sitting at the title screen of SOTTW with no artifacts. I will test further....

Associate
that PSU is not upto the job, if a component starts to break down it can work one minute and next time you apply load it may not. and tomorrow morning when all cold it most likely the time to fail again. Most important thing in your rig the PSU.

Permabanned
Your new GPU (assuming higher draw but not looked up 3070's ) may have just brought the dying PSU to an earlier end.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
that PSU is not upto the job, if a component starts to break down it can work one minute and next time you apply load it may not. and tomorrow morning when all cold it most likely the time to fail again. Most important thing in your rig the PSU.
Your new GPU (assuming higher draw but not looked up 3070's )may have just brought the dying PSU to an earlier end.

We'll see. The 3070 is only a 220W card though.

I've removed the 8GB pair of RAM modules and the weirdness has stopped for the moment. I'll exhaust the other possibilties before spending money on another component.

Associate
I feel for you. Hopefully, people who RMA get prioroty which pushes everybody else up the queue one place? So it shouldn't take long.

Is not how economy works, new customers got priority due simple reason
it is going to be a new income money for the seller. On the other hand, an RMA is simply stagnant because it will not bring more economic benefits.

Permabanned
If it’s back of the queue I’d push for a refund. New customers may bring in new money but existing customers being refunded takes out money already earned.

Hopefully it shouldn’t come to that given OcUk’s legendary customer service.

Associate
If it’s back of the queue I’d push for a refund. New customers may bring in new money but existing customers being refunded takes out money already earned.

Hopefully it shouldn’t come to that given OcUk’s legendary customer service.

Yes, but that is not up to the consumer to decide if the product is eligible for a return or RMA
Always the final decision is on the assembler or the store that sells it.
They can simply tell you that the product is not suitable for returns or RMA because it has signs of being damaged, or a small scratch.

As far as I know in EU there are 14 days of return, after those 14 days, you no longer have the right to request a return.

Back
Top Bottom