• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Faulty 980Ti or perhaps not...

Associate
Good afternoon all,

I have a 5820k CPU and a 4 year old 980ti GPU. Out of the blue the display went blank over the weekend. I tried a few things including removing everything from the mlb aside from the GPU and CPU. I still could not get a display.

Unfortunately I have no on board graphics, so I can't be certain it's the video card. Note: All lights are on, all fans are spinning both on the computer and the GPU. I have managed to grab an old Dell/ATI FireGL V3100 video card, I was planning on seeing if it will work in my machine tonight. My question is, will this old card work in a much more modern machine in the first place? I can't remember the exact motherboard.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Soldato
Are you running windows 10 by any chance?

I had this issue due to a failed overclock on my 980ti in which my display would turn off but i can hear everything in the background is running as it should. I tried everything to get it to work again including booting into safe mode and using windows repair but with no avail. What i ended up doing was reinstalling windows completely and that fixed my issue. I even tried system restore but that did not work either.

Associate
have you got a spare psu too? no harm checking that, as it's an easy check (if you can get your hands on one).

I can remember scratching my head for a while with my 980ti. everything worked fine, could game fine etc. then one weekend it would just black screen 2mins into a heavy gpu game (which used to work fine), mobo seemed powered all ok, just no gpu output. eventually tried a different psu and all good.

Associate
OP
I recently moved house and was heavily 'advised' by my wife to get rid of all my old 'junk' so no spares of anything :(

I can't reset into safe mode or anything as I can't see anything, or do you think a USB fresh install would auto run from bios and perhaps help?

I had ordered a 2070 Super and it seemed like I would be waiting weeks for it to arrive, though after starting this thread I have received notification that it's shipped... Ill try a few things tonight and then if the new card arrives tomorrow I guess ill find out one way or the other.

Soldato
I recently moved house and was heavily 'advised' by my wife to get rid of all my old 'junk' so no spares of anything :(

I can't reset into safe mode or anything as I can't see anything, or do you think a USB fresh install would auto run from bios and perhaps help?

I had ordered a 2070 Super and it seemed like I would be waiting weeks for it to arrive, though after starting this thread I have received notification that it's shipped... Ill try a few things tonight and then if the new card arrives tomorrow I guess ill find out one way or the other.

You may find that fitting the new card won't do anything to help if its a driver issue that borked the system. I really would advise a fresh install onto another spare drive if you have one to just to eliminate the possibility that its your card that's dead. If a fresh install on another hard drive with the same card works, then you know its driver related. Was it overclocked at all using msi afterburner?

Associate
Do you know if the PC is booting to windows just with a black screen?

Perhaps if you have another computer in the house you could boot your broken PC and use command prompt to ping the broken PC's IP across your LAN.

Wouldn't be conclusive, I suppose a broken GPU could still stop your OS booting, could try with it and without it plugged in.

Soldato
Before trying a reinstall, let's concentrate on the basics first. Have you tried changing the video cable? How about the ports on the monitor and GPU? Have you tried another monitor? Does the BIOS come up? Because if it doesn't there's no point trying a reinstall.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the ideas guys, i'm slightly embarrassed to admit it was a basic problem. Faulty RAM module. I now find myself with a upgraded video card... First world problems I suppose :)

I now need to track down a replacement RAM module that's the same as the others.

Back
Top Bottom