• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

FAULTY ATI X1900 XT-X?

Associate
hi

sorry to hear about your card - i was wondering, have you tried just a basic stripdown system, ie, cpu hd mb gfx hd and nothing else? - also, have ou tried the card without your x-fi in?

Soldato
OP
I have tried that. The only thing I have left I am going to try is the 6.4 Catalysts on a bare fresh install.

I wanted to assign my graphics card its own IRQ as without this by X-Fi performs rubbishly but I can't work out how to and nobody else seems to know either.

I am happy enough to sell the system (with my previous graphics card) and buy myself a new system, and also sell the X1900 X-TX. I will get a nice new dual-core setup. :)

If I can fix it this weekend I will cancel those plans.

Soldato
Duel said:
I have tried that. The only thing I have left I am going to try is the 6.4 Catalysts on a bare fresh install.

I wanted to assign my graphics card its own IRQ as without this by X-Fi performs rubbishly but I can't work out how to and nobody else seems to know either.

I am happy enough to sell the system (with my previous graphics card) and buy myself a new system, and also sell the X1900 X-TX. I will get a nice new dual-core setup. :)

If I can fix it this weekend I will cancel those plans.
Try using onboard sound, those creative sound cards can cause problems. I only board an audigy 1 since my first mobo didnt come with onboard sound. Did u try that thing with the PCI latency, its accessable through atitool and atitraytools

Soldato
OP
This is insane...

I ended up selling that system with my old 7800GT graphics card (I sold the X1900XTX seperately) and bought a new one. It's a 4200+ dual core setup with an Asus motherboard, X1900XT, 2GB GEIL Value, 560W Thermaltake etc.

It came preinstalled with Windows and all the drivers (catalyst 6.4, AMD CPU drivers).

I installed a few games (Far Cry, AOE3 and Quake 4). Guess what... It peforms even worse! :eek:

Far Cry is stuttering along at 20-30FPs~ when there are gunfights (lowest I saw was 6FPs), Quake 4 averages at 30FPs (even with the 1.2 multi-CPU enabled) and AOE3 is about the same as before.

I don't understand how it is possible for both these systems to be sucking in the exact same way. I didn't change any settings in Windows, just installed the games, patched them, configured them for best settings and played them.

It is possible that the cause this time around is something more common and is just a rare coincidence. If I can't find a solution this time around though I am abandoning PCs forever and going with Macs for computing and consoles for gaming, as this is pushing my patience to the limits...

@ megatron - thanks for suggestion but in this machine my X-Fi isn't even installed. :eek:

Last edited:
Soldato
Duel said:
@ megatron - thanks for suggestion but in this machine my X-Fi isn't even installed. :eek:
Just poor performance is the problem?

I fixed an annoying random 1sec lag by installing realtec drivers instead of nvidia ones, and PCI latency is relevant when just onboard sound (although I never actually tested it on nforce4).

Soldato
Havent looked in detail at this thread as I'm at work, but have you checked to make sure most of your system components are not sharing IRQ's??? Disable anything in the bios that isnt being used.

Soldato
Nelly said:
Havent looked in detail at this thread as I'm at work, but have you checked to make sure most of your system components are not sharing IRQ's??? Disable anything in the bios that isnt being used.
The only problem is that u dont have full control over IRQ assignment, windows does what it wants (because there is supposed to be no problem sharing IRQs...)

Soldato
OP
Thanks again guys,

So how can I assign those IRQs?

I'm beginning to wonder if people are fibbing that this card can handle recent games at maximum settings and 1280 x 1024 resolution. How could two completely different systems both perform in the same incredibly poor way? :confused:

If it is a coincidence, my legendary bad luck with PCs is keeping up well.

If anybody can actually make my PC run at what it "should" do, I will offer a financial reward. So far nobody at any forums knows the solution (albeit this is a new PC now).

BTW, tried different memory but that didn't help. Also disabled some sound thingy in the BIOS but that didn't improve things either.

Other system errors are:

When selecting "Turn Off" in Windows it often restarts instead.

Sometimes when switching on PC it says that overclocking failed even though I have not done any overclocking. It says to restore BIOS defaults so I do that and it boots up, but even when it is running on BIOS defaults in the first place this message can pop up.

Last edited:
Soldato
Audio and video codecs can cause severe performance problems. As can old bios versions. Also some sound cards hog the cpu if you select a feature the card cannot process properly.

I always install a codec pack if I encounter problems and always tend to use onboard sound because they tend to be less picky about when they want to work.

If nothing seems to sort out your problems I suggest getting a DFI Ultra NF4 mobo and using onboard sound.

Soldato
Whilst its of no help to you I’m running BF2, HL2. Oblivion on max settings at 1600 x 1200 so I can tell you its possible.

As for changing the pci latency I think ATI tools will do it as will PCI tool (google it, its at guru3d) I’ve played with it before and tbh for me the effects were un noticeable but some chaps swear by it. Someone mentioned removing the SATA drivers and using the normal windows ones, have you tried that ?

Stalker

Soldato
OP
Yes, X-Fi doesn't seem to make a difference in my case.

Don't want to get yet another motherboard tbh.

Will a codec pack effect games?

I think the chipset drivers are installed, but I'm not 100%. Can someone direct me to a download for the latest ones please just to make sure.

Will try changing the PCI latency.

Back
Top Bottom