• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Faulty card for SLI?

Caporegime
A mate of mine has just added a faulty -bought off an auction site - 1080 to his rig which has a single Asus 1080 already fitted, the faulty card was listed as “no display output”, he paid under £150 and has added it to his rig in SLI with his monitors (3 in Surround) connected to his original fully working card.

It seems to be working fine, his performance has jumped considerably in his favourite game (GTA V) and SLI appears to be working just fine.

Out of curiosity he removed his working card and tried the faulty one on its own, sure enough, no output from any of the cards outputs.

So, it appears, a faulty GPU can still have a purpose in an SLI system?

I’d be interested to hear the views of the collective here!

Caporegime
OP
Depends what the fault is - if the VRAM was toast, etc. it would be no good in SLI.
My thoughts initially, and I asked him prior to him bidding if it was artefacting, which it wasn’t from the advert’s description, I guess no output isn’t an issue for SLI (running from a good primary card?)

Thought I’d put it out there, but, caveat emptor!

Back
Top Bottom