Faulty Corsair Memory Found, RMA process?

Associate
Found that one of the sticks of Corsair memory from a Matched set (CMP32GX3M4X1600C10) is seeing massive amount of errors now. Did not find this previously in the last few years (since 2012 when I bought two packs from OCuk), so either it cropped up since then, or it was there but just never got to always hit it from use so it didn't bug often enough to locate.

Anyway, I have isolated the exact stick of RAM that's causing the issue. I know it has a limited lifetime warranty, so I can get on that. My question however is:

1. Does anyone know what the exact process is for getting an RMA on this?
2. Or even if I can get an RMA now? It is quite old after all.
3. Do I send the whole set back? (Which is a problem in iteself, since I bought 2 packs of it from here back in 2012 and don't remember if they were mixed in the RAM slots since then)
4. Or just that single stick of RAM?

The last time I had to contact Corsair about an RMA it needed a call to the US. So was a bit fiddly back then.

Thanks for any info. Looking at Corsair site too now for info on process.

Associate
1. Does anyone know what the exact process is for getting an RMA on this?
2. Or even if I can get an RMA now? It is quite old after all.
3. Do I send the whole set back? (Which is a problem in iteself, since I bought 2 packs of it from here back in 2012 and don't remember if they were mixed in the RAM slots since then)
4. Or just that single stick of RAM?

1. Contact Corsair they will raise an RMA, they now have a RMA Hub in Bolton so you will send the set to them rather than overseas.

2. If stock is available they will replace, if not will be a similar set I would have thought ... be prepared for a lengthy wait, mine took around 3 months and arrived from China.

3. Yes you send the whole set back not the faulty stick.

Associate
OP
Thanks. Will use their online form to contact them first then and see how it goes. Had good results with them before and have 32GB (from the other set) in the system with no problem anyway, so should be fine sending back one set.

The only issue is, I'm not 100% certain which one of the 8 were matched together now. Will let Corsair know and see how it goes.

Thanks again.

Associate
OP
Minor updates:

1. RMA approved. Will be sending 4 sticks back. (No issue as I still have 4...)
2. Minor problem. Was not given sufficient info (yet) regarding Matched Set RAM. Would be great if any of our Corsair Reps are still around to answer this.
3. I have two sets of 4 Matched 8GB RAM. All with the same outside serial numbers, so no way to tell a difference as an end user without taking apart the stickers, heatsink, etc, which of those 8 RAM sticks are Matched with each other (or even if there is such a difference). And there is a small note on the RMA returns print that non matched RAM may delay the RMA process.
4. Does anyone know if sending back just any 4 of the 8 sticks of RAM at the moment back to Corsair will be an issue? They are all technically identical externally, just was never paired together from factory. (ie, same batch/lot numbers, versions, voltage, etc, but was never put together to be sold together). I remember reading a long time ago that each Matched Set is checked to be fine with each other, and separate Matched Sets may not work together, even if the same (like here right now; although it's fine in my case). So, anyone know if it's OK to just pull 4 out (3 more, as the current faulty one is already out) and sending it back?

For the users who stumble upon this process in a similar situation, do NOT use their contact method (https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/company/contact/?form=Technical Support) It doesn't work. Go straight to here instead: https://support.corsair.com You will need to register first if you haven't done so before, but otherwise enter your details and proceed with creating a ticket to get the RMA sorted.

Thanks all.

Soldato
I had a stick of corsiar vengence ram go bad, it was one stick from two matched pairs, and I had to send in both sticks - the bad ram and the other still good stick. They wouldn't let me send in just the one as they said they'll replace it with a new matched set. I had 2 sets of (2x4GB) that were bought from different places at different times.

I didn't know which was the right one to go with it as all the stickers were the same so I just picked one other at random and it was fine. I can't remember where I sent it but it was replaced within the week so not as long as I was led to believe.

Associate
OP
Thanks. Got an ambigious reply from Corsair about sending "ALL" the memory back (after showing them all 8 sticks from two packs), so sent a final question back to them to confirm they meant from a single pack (4 sent back), or both (all 8 goes back). As the reply was vague that they will replace them all with memory from the same lot for compatibility. Which could mean one or both packs if I'm reading that correctly (as I did notify them that both was bought together from OCUK when Corsair didn't sell 64GB packs yet).

Don't mind sending one or both packs, as I've got RAM from another system to pull over for temporary use if it can get me a full 64GB set that is matched from an RMA.

Back
Top Bottom