Faulty monitor but can it be fixed?

Soldato
So I went to turn my PC on earlier and the monitor display had horizontal lines and a second ghost image of the task bar and all windows icons about inch higher than the proper image, it was also shacking as if there was two images but out of sync.

At first I though Gpu or DP cable so I hooked it up to the kids ps4 with a hdmi lead and it was just the same so I've concluded its the monitor at fault.

Now I like a bit of a repair project but never had a go at fixing a monitor before so just wondered where I should start and what would be the most likely cause of the fault?

Associate
So I went to turn my PC on earlier and the monitor display had horizontal lines and a second ghost image of the task bar and all windows icons about inch higher than the proper image, it was also shacking as if there was two images but out of sync.

At first I though Gpu or DP cable so I hooked it up to the kids ps4 with a hdmi lead and it was just the same so I've concluded its the monitor at fault.

Now I like a bit of a repair project but never had a go at fixing a monitor before so just wondered where I should start and what would be the most likely cause of the fault?

Sounds like the panel has de-laminated. Only course of repair if so is to replace the panel. Probably not cost-effective.

It can sometimes be the attachment of the ribbon cable that is bonded directly to the panel itself. Heating it with a heat-gun or soldering iron and then pressing it back into place can sometimes work. At this point, you've nothing to lose, so why not. Check YT for video examples of such repairs.

Soldato
OP
Sounds like the panel has de-laminated. Only course of repair if so is to replace the panel. Probably not cost-effective.

It can sometimes be the attachment of the ribbon cable that is bonded directly to the panel itself. Heating it with a heat-gun or soldering iron and then pressing it back into place can sometimes work. At this point, you've nothing to lose, so why not. Check YT for video examples of such repairs.
Thanks for the reply, would a panel be able to de-laminate in just the few hours of being switched off over night or would it be a more gradual process?

Associate
Thanks for the reply, would a panel be able to de-laminate in just the few hours of being switched off over night or would it be a more gradual process?

Depends on the panel, it's quality, it's age, etc. Sometimes they go slowly, sometimes quite suddenly. My old Asus went darker in one corner for a few weeks, then finally turned very bad. An HP monitor went quite suddenly. Mind you, both monitors were 5+ years old.

The main thing that de-laminates them early in their lives tends to be a physical shock of some kind - i.e., someone dropping it or knocking it heavily. Of course, there's also just pure bad luck!

As I said, unless it's under warranty, it's probably not cost-effective to repair it. :(

Associate

Has the monitor got additional inputs (DVI/VGA/DP) you can also try to see if it does it on all inputs?

Soldato
OP
I've tried DP and HDMI and even with no lead connected the screens logo shows the Same behaviour.

Had it apart today and checked caps and connectors and they all seem fine so i don't think it's fixable atleast with my limited knowledge.

Associate
I've tried DP and HDMI and even with no lead connected the screens logo shows the Same behaviour.

Had it apart today and checked caps and connectors and they all seem fine so i don't think it's fixable atleast with my limited knowledge.
You seem to have covered all options - sometimes you have you have to draw a line under it and move on - at least it's not through lack of trying.
If it's worth a lot you might be able to make a claim under your house insurance (if it's covered).

Back
Top Bottom