Faulty Motherboard?

Associate
Hello

I installed a new motherboard about a month ago (from Amazon warehouse) which seems to have developed a problem, which may have always existed. If I shut down the pc as normal and turn it off at the plug, there is no problem at all.

If I shut down the pc and turn if off at the psu switch, it will only boot to the Asus logo screen, until I turn off the pc and leave it with the psu switch on for about 3 hours. Upon boot I can enter the bios settings (which have been forgotten) and everything goes back to working 100%. I notice the time is wrong in windows for a few seconds until (presumably) the internet updates it. I’ve tried changing the CMOS battery which made no difference.

I can live with this problem because it’s rare a turn the PSU off. About 6 months ago my old PSU (which wasn’t that old) smoked which makes me think it could be the case I have causing dust or the electrics in my house. But more than likely the board? I’m an inexperienced builder as well so something may not be installed correctly. I ask specifically for your opinion:
  • Has anybody heard of this happening before?
  • Do you think this problem will get worse if I ignore it?
  • Is it likely the PSU or the board is the problem? I would much rather buy/try a new PSU as it’s cheaper and easier to install.
Thanks for any help on this!

Asus Z590-A
Asus Rog Strix 850W White Edition
2060S

Man of Honour
If you turn the PSU switch off some boards will consider that equivalent to a crash and reset to defaults. I actually used to do this on purpose with my old abit boards, because changing the battery was a pain (had to pull the GPU).

Is there any stuff in the bios where you can set behaviour in the event of a power loss? The board I'm typing on now has a bunch of options, including restart automatically without being asked to :o (was rather a shock the first time I had a power cut)

Associate
OP
If you turn the PSU switch off some boards will consider that equivalent to a crash and reset to defaults. I actually used to do this on purpose with my old abit boards, because changing the battery was a pain (had to pull the GPU).

Is there any stuff in the bios where you can set behaviour in the event of a power loss? The board I'm typing on now has a bunch of options, including restart automatically without being asked to :o (was rather a shock the first time I had a power cut)
I just tried changing the ‘restore ac power loss’ setting and that didn’t work. It was worth a try but I’ll have to wait about 3 hours now to have another look.

Associate
Thanks for the response:

Not sure. I sold my old motherboard in the new mortherboard box, so I don't have that anymore. When I plugged it in with everything working I thought that would be the end of the storey for a few years.
Shouldn’t have done that. The new motherboard warranty might now be honoured if you don’t have the box.

Not sure the process but hey.

Associate
They may question about the box, but as long the motherboard is the same they sold, you should be fine.
Amazon records the serial numbers, just make sure you take photos of the motherboard you're sending back.
They tried to pull a fast one once claiming that I sent the wrong item. After sending photos of the returned item, they accepted the return.
One of the reasons I avoid buying b-grade motherboards, GPU, speakers and RAM: too many things to go wrong and may take ages for you to replicate the potential issue the previous owner had. I don't believe most returns are simply change mind.
Overclockers B-Stock would be a better choice, as the return process is good and people checking the items are almost exclusively dealing with PC parts, not dolls, pans and pillows.

Man of Honour
I don't believe most returns are simply change mind.
Overclockers B-Stock would be a better choice, as the return process is good and people checking the items are almost exclusively dealing with PC parts, not dolls, pans and pillows.

A looot of returns are change of mind, but I agree with you, there's a lot of iffy stuff that hasn't been tested properly and has latent faults.

OP: I understand if you're concerned and have a different opinion, but I honestly wouldn't RMA the motherboard for this. I didn't even consider it a fault, but a feature.

Associate
OP
They may question about the box, but as long the motherboard is the same they sold, you should be fine.
Amazon records the serial numbers, just make sure you take photos of the motherboard you're sending back.
They tried to pull a fast one once claiming that I sent the wrong item. After sending photos of the returned item, they accepted the return.
One of the reasons I avoid buying b-grade motherboards, GPU, speakers and RAM: too many things to go wrong and may take ages for you to replicate the potential issue the previous owner had. I don't believe most returns are simply change mind.
Yeah I think I would stay away from 2nd hand next time.

If I purchased a new one I could send the old one back in the new box to save any arguments. The box is generic and the motherboard has the serial number, is that correct?

Associate
Yeah I think I would stay away from 2nd hand next time.

If I purchased a new one I could send the old one back in the new box to save any arguments. The box is generic and the motherboard has the serial number, is that correct?
The box has the serial number too. Don’t worry too much about a box. They may claim the different serial numbers and cause a headache. Simply send the motherboard and it’s accessories well packed and you should be fine. Don’t forget to take few photos, just in case.

Associate
OP
A looot of returns are change of mind, but I agree with you, there's a lot of iffy stuff that hasn't been tested properly and has latent faults.

OP: I understand if you're concerned and have a different opinion, but I honestly wouldn't RMA the motherboard for this. I didn't even consider it a fault, but a feature.
Yeah I'm thinking about just living with the problem as I certainly can't be bothered to change the mboard and I have to use it everyday for work.

My main concern is the problem could get worse but I guess there is just no way of knowing.

Back
Top Bottom