Faulty PSU or not?

Associate
Hi all,

A few months ago I made this thread about my PC not booting up properly intermittently - here

I tried everything: re-seating the CPU and heatsink and reapplying thermal paste onto them, removing each of my RAM sticks one by one and reseating, removing all data and power cables from the HDDs, taking my HD 7950 out and putting in my old 4850 but this did not do anything.

Eventually, I got to the PSU. I usually use a Corsair TX850 and more often than not the PC would fail to boot (no output on monitors) but sometimes it worked fine. I did notice during this phase that I would get fairly regular BSODs (whocrashed would report kernel related issues; not sure if related). I decided to remove that PSU and try my old CX600. Guess what? It booted OK! I am using this for the time being but am cautious with my load as I'm not sure how well it can deal with the rest of my spec.

Anyway, according to Corsair, the paperclip trick (which I was unaware of until today) works well with differentiating a functional and faulty PSU. So I tried it and based on the testing criteria, it seemed 'okay' - it spins and is not completely dead.

Considering my CX600 works without fail and the TX850 invariably fails with booting in my machine, should I request an RMA? I fear they may test it and say nothing's wrong :/

or is there an underlying compatibility issue or something? I just want to cover every angle here.

Thank you for your help

Last edited:

RJC

RJC

Don
PSU can fail and course strange issues with systems.

As it appears your running fine with the CX600 I would myself in this predicament raise a RMA and get the PSU tested.

If you return the unit to Corsair directly yourself the chances are you would get another in return.

Associate
OP
Should have mentioned it did previously work sometimes, but eventually it just wouldn't boot up at all (last week or so). Power is supplied to my PC but there is no output display.

If it's a faulty cable, surely it falls under warranty? It's not modular so not like I can do much about it, anyway.

Back
Top Bottom