Faulty TV and John Lewis

Associate
I purchased a £1600 Sony TV from John Lewis for peace of mind that their customer service is good late October last year. Last week it blew up. I phoned JL and they organised a contractor to come and look at it. He spent literally 10 seconds on it and said its a known fault would need a new 'module PCB' and PSU. No spare TV left with me, so I called JL and after much arguing because she refused to replace it stating that their policy was to repair the item in the first instance (I told her that I had looked online and seen similar issues with this TV) and I wanted to exchange it. She wouldnt budge even after I quoted the sale of goods act. I said I wanted to make a complaint and she will reply to my email. I asked for a replacement TV because its probably going to be 2 weeks plus last week until its repaired. Her response was she would try but usually JL only do this for the elderly or infirm!

Is there anything else I can do about this?

Soldato
I suggest reading up on your consumer rights, as SOGA was replaced a while ago. It won't help bringing up bits of leglisation that aren't current.

I can't say I'd expect them to provide a replacement in the meantime. I realise some companies do this for commercial set-ups, and also some let normal consumers 'pay' for the privilege by putting a hold on the value of the replacement item on your card/account. But I wouldn't think that was a thing for consumer TVs.

Soldato
No, not really. Consumer rights act (which supersedes the SoGA) stipulates that the retailer can repair OR replace, and you cannot compel them to undertake one remedy if it is disproportionate in cost to the other, but must be done in a reasonable time without significant inconvenience to the consumer.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/section/23/enacted

Unfortunately I think it'd be extremely difficult to argue that not having a TV for 2-3 weeks is a "significant inconvenience".

Soldato
If you are outside the 30-day right to reject, you have to give the retailer one opportunity to repair or replace any goods or digital content which are of unsatisfactory quality, unfit for purpose or not as described.

You can choose whether you want the goods to be repaired or replaced.

But the retailer can refuse if they can show that your choice is disproportionately expensive compared to the alternative.

If the attempt at a repair or replacement is unsuccessful, you can then claim a refund or a price reduction if you wish to keep the product.

You want a replacement TV which is most definitely disproportionately more expensive than a PCB and a PSU.

TBH i think this is how it should be as it is silly how quick we are to replace and waste rather than repair these days. If it messes up again, then you needn't settle for a repair and if it doesn't, then happy days. You might be able to kick a fuss up with Sony directly since it is an issue with their product line and they may allow a swap for a different model but they may just say 'retailers problem when its under a year'

Last edited:
Associate
Did they say it's going to be 2-3 weeks until it's repaired or is that just a guess on how long it would take...

I'd personally ring up and find the exact details of when it's being repaired before trying to kick up a fuss.

Associate
OP
Okay thanks guys, looks like they are acting in accordance with legislation from the responses here. I am more miffed about them not bringing me a replacement TV in the interim as its something I know Richersounds do and also replaced my receiver when it blew up. I guess that why they are still on the highstreet.

Soldato
I had a fault on my tesco TV and it developed a fault after a couple weeks. Similarly they spent a while to replace it without a replacement TV (I wasn't bothered at the time).

Not sure if that offers any extra insight!

Soldato
I once had a problem with a TV, it disappeared to the service place for a week, I took legal advice and if it is your main TV it is considered an inconvenience not to have it for more than a week.
Sent a letter recorded delivery and soon got my telly back.

Associate
When my TV broke John Lewis sent a repair guy out who said the TV was a write off, he left me a loaner TV which I had for a few weeks until I had sorted out a replacement so I'm not sure where this "won't and don't" supply a loaner TV is coming from, in some cases they clearly do.

Caporegime
When my TV broke John Lewis sent a repair guy out who said the TV was a write off, he left me a loaner TV which I had for a few weeks until I had sorted out a replacement so I'm not sure where this "won't and don't" supply a loaner TV is coming from, in some cases they clearly do.

Your tv was unrepairable so they sorted you out whilst you arranged a replacement. Howerver OP's tv is repairable and possibly a quicker process or they didn't have a loaner tv to hand.

OP is getting their tv repaired for free. I don't see what the issue is. I would like to see how good currys would have handled this tbh.

Back
Top Bottom