Feast or Famine:- the release schedule for games

Soldato
Ok I get the October "holiday" release window, always a glut of games released, your yearly BF/COD & sports refreshes and another couple of big hitters (with RDR2 this years elephant in the room) plus maybe 10-15 other lower tier games around October November.

But now we are getting the end of financial year glut as well in Feb/March.

Feb 22 has 4 big games alone Metro Exodus, Anthem, Crackdown and Days gone.
and a few weeks later its Division 2.

Then we will have another 6-8 months without a significant release again.

Surely it would make sense to spread them about a bit more. It works with movies, not everything comes out as a summer blockbuster there's releases all year round.

A game like Metro that looks great and i'm sure would sell much better in June with no competition, as it stands now it will be lost in the crush and much like the previous Metro games I will end up playing it when its either deeply discounted or on Gamepass / Games with Gold.

Associate
Its silly to release games in the summer when most people will be out enjoying the sunshine. The publishers will know when the best time (For the monies) is to release a game and summer clearly isn't that.

Associate
Agree with N0ddie on the summer point. I suppose Dec-Jan could be used, like nintendo is doing for smash.
Though with the recent snow hitting feb-apr gives an excuse to not brave the cold

Soldato
It's not really end of the financial year that's the incentive or March, it's the last window after Skint January and before the weather warms up.

Soldato
Well Crackdown has had so many release dates, I'll believe that one when I see it.

But releasing Anthem and Division 2 so close seems crazy and they both appeal to the same market and both will need time commitment. I can see one of them being delayed, hopefully anthem as I wasn't too impressed with what was shown at E3.

Caporegime
I just try and spread them out myself - especially single player games

For instance, I bought Horizon: Zero Dawn a few weeks ago which is 15 months after it release.

£20 for the complete edition and 60+ hours in so far

Soldato
The annual summer games drought always does my head. I usually just reply games I've enjoyed or look for some games on offer. I recently bought HZD again and The Witcher 3.

Back
Top Bottom