Feeding a 4K monitor - new motherboard or graphic card?

Associate
Really looking for some advice here. Thanks for any help.

Under my desk, I have a box of PC components - a 4770K, 16GB of DDR3 and an MSI z-87 G43 motherboard. Just needing to get round to building them into a case.

I recently bought an AOC 28" 4K monitor. MSI board claims to deliver 4K video (well, ultra-HD really) over HDMI.

Will this work fine with the onboard graphics on the 4770K / motherboard? I'm not into gaming; just mainly office apps, image editing and a bit of audio / video editing. Would also want to watch blu-ray videos.

So I'm wondering - do I build up what I've got, and then buy a GTX750ti if the board doesn't come up to scratch?

Or do I sell that unused motherboard on eBay and buy a Z97 m/b with DisplayPort (which is where I understand the monitor likes to get its signal from)

Appreciate any thoughts. Should add, OS will be 8.1 64bit

TIA

Associate
4k hdmi is 30Hz, display port is 60, as your not gaming your first option of getting a gtx if your mb driven output isn't snappy enough is the way to go.

Associate
OP
Thanks, Pooker.

I'll need to research that. Some reviews of the monitor suggested an issue with ATI drivers, but it may well be sorted. That card certainly looks cheaper than a 750 from Nvidia.

Associate
OP
4k hdmi is 30Hz, display port is 60, as your not gaming your first option of getting a gtx if your mb driven output isn't snappy enough is the way to go.

Thanks, Lude and Pooker for your comments. So I guess i'll build it with the board I have, see how I get on with HDMI and go down the new graphics card route if I'm not happy.

Associate
From the manual of your mobo:

1x HDMI® port, supporting a maximum resolution of
4096x2160@24Hz, 24bpp/ 2560x1600@60Hz, 24bpp/
1920x1080@60Hz, 36bpp

I'd be tempted to build it and see how it goes. If you're not happy with it, grab one of the cards above, and I'm sure you'll be fine.

*edit* Didn't see your last post there, derp.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom