Feek's Friday Beer, gin (and whatever you happen to be drinking on a Friday night) Thread

Commissario
OP
Next beer.

A powerfully authentic IPA, Proper Job is brewed with a blend of imported American hops. It is a real treat of a beer with a growing reputation and is loved by beer enthusiasts far and wide. Perhaps the forerunner of all modern IPAs in the UK!

zbE7Stm.jpeg

A beer with no smell. I'm taking a good whiff of the glass but there's nothing!

There's not a huge amount of flavour either but it's building slightly as it sits longer in the glass I'm getting something but really not very much. It's almost a bit spicy on my tongue and is growing on me a bit.

Soldato
I see a lot of sours these days, seems every brewery is trying to jump on that bandwagon.
I've tried a few but my general opinion is not very complimentary. What do you lot think of them?

I’m a big fan of a sour so I welcome the current trend. Previously you were limited to Lambics generally.

Another current trend I’m hugely happy about is the really big yellow hazy NE IPAs that are around. I’ve never had anything like them before and I love them. Only issue is that they’re quite expensive.

I’ve had a couple beers tonight. Including the Brooklyn 0% offering as wanted to see how it tasted compared to full beers. It’s held it’s own well and has moved into top spot of non alcoholic beers.

Now say with a glass of this. It’s a Mikkeler imperial stout that they distilled and aged in Japanese whisky casks.

https://shop.mikkeller.dk/products/black-alcohol-gift-box

Associate
I'm a lager drinker. Have tried a few ales, including IPAs, over the years. Never liked any of them.

Until recently. A mate bought me a couple of bottles of Dorothy Goodbody IPA. Felt it would be rude not to try. Absolutely bloody gorgeous. First time in my life I've enjoyed an ale. Shall definitely be getting some more of that.

Associate
Just had one of my free sample cans (150ml) of Heineken 0.0 which were being given away in the Manchester Arndale today and VK were doing a promotion so I helped myself to a free pick and mix of boiled sweets from them and two pairs of sunglasses for my two nieces and a can of that new Coca-Cola energy drink as I've got a reputation for bringing freebies home.

Associate
I'm a lager drinker. Have tried a few ales, including IPAs, over the years. Never liked any of them.

Until recently. A mate bought me a couple of bottles of Dorothy Goodbody IPA. Felt it would be rude not to try. Absolutely bloody gorgeous. First time in my life I've enjoyed an ale. Shall definitely be getting some more of that.

Kronenbourg 1664 for me.
BTW what happened to
kestrel
Lamot

as you don't see them anymore?

Associate
Well seeing as you asked Mr Feek, I've poured myself this rather tasty porter....

rhsnky.jpg

Quite partial to porters and stouts as i struggle with the citrusy fruity ipa's.

I use this glass because having tried various shapes, BrewDog are spot on with this one (even if I don't order much from them anymore)

2db16cg.jpg

Yep, a little spice, some coffee, hints of chocolate.....cheers!

I got a free can of Punk IPA last year as Brewdog were doing a promotion in Spinningfields on Deansgate but I think Heineken've made a mistake with that free glass with four 440mm cans promotion. They should have done it with the six packs of 330ml version.

Commissario
OP
Kronenbourg 1664 for me.
BTW what happened to
kestrel
Lamot

Ben Elton used to do a piece about Kestrel, it was quite funny.

A good thread but why just on Fridays?
What's wrong with Saturdays?
In fact, what's wrong with any day of the week?
Well, it's not a school night and I generally had a few beers on a Friday after work to relax and wind down for the weekend.
Perhaps I'll do a gin thread tomorrow ;)

Associate
Ben Elton used to do a piece about Kestrel, it was quite funny.

Well, it's not a school night and I generally had a few beers on a Friday after work to relax and wind down for the weekend.
Perhaps I'll do a gin thread tomorrow ;)

If anybody from the Manchester area's interested, Atlas Bar on Deansgate's going to have a gin day.

Soldato
I’ve had a couple beers tonight. Including the Brooklyn 0% offering as wanted to see how it tasted compared to full beers. It’s held it’s own well and has moved into top spot of non alcoholic beers.

Have you tried the Adnams Ghostship 0%? It is a little different from the original but definitely has its own character. Currently my number 1.

Soldato
Ah no. Will give it go. Anywhere common sell it?

I’ve seen Brewdog do an alcohol free punk called “punk af”. I don’t mind nanny state much so want to try that too.

Definitely try the Brooklyn one though. Waitrose currently have it for a quid a bottle.

I had a can of Beavertowns Blood Orange ipa earlier. Was so disappointing given how good Neck Oil and Gamma Ray are.

Associate
Kronenbourg 1664 for me.
BTW what happened to
kestrel
Lamot

Haha,

I enjoy a Stella. And somehow I manage not to knock seven bells out the Mrs at the same time :D

Never had a Kestrel. Old man used to drink Lamot back in the 90s. I think I enjoyed a sip of that now and again. I used to enjoy a pint of Labatts. But that was probably before my palate matured.

Soldato
Yeah, most supermarkets are stocking it now - for a local company Adnams have great distribution. I haven't tried that Brewdog one though - Nanny State is passable but I'll look the new one up. As a shareholder, their constant fundraising has gone too far now.

I'll look out for the Brooklyn, ta.

Don
rbLwxjH.jpg Probably my all time favourite IPA (that's not a New England) Neonraptor make some amazing stuff, Operation Mayfly is a superb NEIPA

Soldato
Had a Sainsbury’s own American IPA this evening. Definitely worth a try if you like real ale and aren’t too fussed about triple hopped grapefruit craft IPAs. Bitter, hoppy and quite dry. Goes down a treat and is cheap for a bottled ale. Worth having a couple on the shelf for emergencies (Fridays).

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp...DiSiIiUItnt6al9mDfC0RNzJsgjL/z/v2fluAWReTQw==

For any alcohol free fans the absolute best is Moretti Zero if you can get hold of it, or if you like weissbier Erdinger alcohol free.

Associate
Yeah, most supermarkets are stocking it now - for a local company Adnams have great distribution. I haven't tried that Brewdog one though - Nanny State is passable but I'll look the new one up. As a shareholder, their constant fundraising has gone too far now.

I'll look out for the Brooklyn, ta.

Believe me, Brooklyn lager's a good one and they do a good IPA as do another New York based brewery called Six Points which you can get in Whetherspoons and they do a good craft beer called Bengali Tiger.

Commissario
OP
Final beer of the evening as I only had three (for a fiver).

Marston's Old Empire IPA

A memorable and deceptively easy-drinking IPA. This is an authentic recreation of the beer style created for, and enjoyed throughout the Empire. Goldings, Fuggles and American Cascade hops combine to give a crisp, citrus hop aromas, with a balanced, bittersweet finish.

6xlpDJp.jpeg

The strongest of the evening at 5.7% and it has the strongest aroma. I'm getting a nice deep smell from this, it's almost chocolatey in the glass. Absolutely no fizz at all from it either which is a good thing.

Everyone has heard of Marston's Pedigree which I'm not a great fan of but this is a very nice drop in comparison. If you have a One Stop near you, go and buy three bottles for a fiver!

Back
Top Bottom