• Continue arguing my opinion whenever it comes up

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Get out before things get hairy

Votes: 143 50.5%
  • Pancake

Votes: 69 24.4%

• Total voters
Soldato
I've never, ever witnessed this or anything like this happen to me, or anyone in my vicinity.

I have, although not by a woman :)

I opened a door to enter a building and held the door open for a guy in a wheelchair behind me, he told me to "oh **** off" and that he could mange.

I let the door go.

I still hold doors open for anyone though :)

Soldato
Is there any evidence that this is actually true?

Not that I actually needed a study to prove this but Men are also quicker and more efficient at making decisions than Women. Ever been shopping with a Woman compared to going alone? I'll do my food shop in 10 minutes flat if I'm on my own, I have a list and go from aisle to aisle as quickly as possible and leave. If I go with my girlfriend we'll be there 20-30 minutes easily, she wants to look at everything and takes ages making simple decisions, and she's highly intelligent - her brain is like a sponge when it comes to learning new things - it's just she takes ages to make seemingly small decisions

http://digitalcommons.csbsju.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1010&context=psychology_students

Man of Honour
Not that I actually needed a study to prove this but Men are also quicker and more efficient at making decisions than Women. Ever been shopping with a Woman compared to going alone? I'll do my food shop in 10 minutes flat if I'm on my own, I have a list and go from aisle to aisle as quickly as possible and leave. If I go with my girlfriend we'll be there 20-30 minutes easily, she wants to look at everything and takes ages making simple decisions, and she's highly intelligent - her brain is like a sponge when it comes to learning new things - it's just she takes ages to make seemingly small decisions

http://digitalcommons.csbsju.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1010&context=psychology_students

Or she cares more about her appearance.

Oops - must learn to read. But feel free to amend my response to she cares more about her food choices?

It's basically not a very good example / a rubbish generalisation :p

Soldato
Sorry, stopped reading as soon as it started on left and right brain stuff, hasn't that been thoroughly debunked now? Much like Visual, audio and kinaesthetic learning.

It's very easy to understand though, women are evolved to make their decisions more emotionally as it helps them be better at raising children. Men have to be better at making logical decisions as it helped us be better hunter gatherers. Both sexes compliment each other and work well together, but it doesn't mean we're both the same.

Soldato
Or she cares more about her appearance.

Oops - must learn to read. But feel free to amend my response to she cares more about her food choices?

It's basically not a very good example / a rubbish generalisation :p

Considering I lift weights and actually look at the nutritional value of my foods so I can see how much Protein, Fat and Carbohydrate content they have then yeah, you're wrong there.

RDM

RDM

Soldato
It's very easy to understand though, women are evolved to make their decisions more emotionally as it helps them be better at raising children. Men have to be better at making logical decisions as it helped us be better hunter gatherers. Both sexes compliment each other and work well together, but it doesn't mean we're both the same.

So you keep saying, but lots of the actual scientific evidence is suggesting otherwise.

https://www.newscientist.com/articl...eres-no-such-thing-as-a-male-or-female-brain/

The article has links to others about lack of differences in function as well as form.

Caporegime
I work in a 17 person department.
5 male, 12 female.
5 line managers, 1 male, 4 female.
Line managers report in to a head of... who is male (TRIGGERED!)
But he reports in to a director, who is not only female, but also lesbian. (Trigger averted).
However, she reports in to the international VP, who is male (Oh noes!).
But, phew, he reports in to the overall CEO who is indeed female.
My work is a safe space.

Last edited:
Permabanned
There's no need to get out.

Just tell her you aren't interested in that discussion and ignore her future rants.
That's what I do with my gf.

There are 2 problems with a male / female relationship:

1. Women don't want your opinion, they just want you to shut up and pretend you care
2. Men just want to here about problems they can fix. If we can't fix it, and can't help, we don't care.

So - either stand there and pretend interested

or just tell her you don't want to hear it.

Soldato
Not necessarily, it could be down to something as simple as biology.

None of this is factual, so feel free to be as dismissive of it as you will, but in my own experience the males that I have known that have been successful were so only after school, whereas the females I have known have been successful throughout. They worked harder in school and I put this down to the fact that they were more simply more mature and 'grown up' about it. They weren't more intelligent (on average) and nor were they 'better' other than being more focused on school work.

Is it fair to have a system that lends itself more to female than male in this way? Should we be overhauling the education system to achieve some sort of parity?

I vaguely remember reading something that, in general, boys excel in an environment where they are challenged and put in competition and the school environment has evolved into a less competitive, more collaborative approach to learning which favours female way of learning, again in general.

That is a vague memory of an article and may well not be factual before someone dives down my throat.

Associate
If you are a feminist that wants equality, are you really a feminist? Are you not an egalitarian?

Why specify that you are a feminist? Why say 'you want equality for one of the sexes'? By it's definition that doesn't seem equal to me.

It could be argued Feminism is merely the female case for Egalitarianism, just like LBGT have their movement, various racial groups have their movement etc etc. Egalitarianism has such a broad goal there can't really just be one group that speaks up for it, hence it is broken down into it's various causes.

Of course Feminism has been hijacked though, I'm sure on some level every single human cause or institution has been hijacked to some extent by extremist view points, religion, politics all suffer the same. To seek out those extreme examples and then dismiss the whole is quite frankly just intellectually lazy.

Soldato
I work in a 17 person department.
5 male, 12 female.
5 line managers, 1 male, 2 female.
Line managers report in to a head of... who is male (TRIGGERED!)
But he reports in to a director, who is not only female, but also lesbian. (Trigger averted).
However, she reports in to the international VP, who is male (Oh noes!).
But, phew, he reports in to the overall CEO who is indeed female.
My work is a safe space.

What sex are the missing 2 managers from the above? :p

Caporegime
Of course Feminism has been hijacked though, I'm sure on some level every single human cause or institution has been hijacked to some extent by extremist view points, religion, politics all suffer the same. To seek out those extreme examples and then dismiss the whole is quite frankly just intellectually lazy.

Good point, well made.

Man of Honour
I wasnt aware of the final ratio,

Yet you argued about it anyway and presented your own incorrect view as fact even though 35 seconds on Google would have clarified either way.

This is the problem with internet arguments and it's also why you shouldn't take the views of internet feminists as representative of anyone who would use the term.

Soldato
So you keep saying, but lots of the actual scientific evidence is suggesting otherwise.

https://www.newscientist.com/articl...eres-no-such-thing-as-a-male-or-female-brain/

The article has links to others about lack of differences in function as well as form.

It says there's a spectrum, and most people lay some where in the middle, which is what you'd expect really. You're still going to get more Men favouring one way and Women favouring the other, there's just differences in individuals.

Soldato
I vaguely remember reading something that, in general, boys excel in an environment where they are challenged and put in competition and the school environment has evolved into a less competitive, more collaborative approach to learning which favours female way of learning, again in general.

That is a vague memory of an article and may well not be factual before someone dives down my throat.

If we're adding vague memories about learning I seem to recall there is evidence that suggests multi-choice questions favour one sex with written prose favouring the other. I can't remember which way round it was, but apparently it also partly explains the different gender performance in certain subjects that favour one style of questioning over the other.

Again, vague memories :D

Soldato
If we're adding vague memories about learning I seem to recall there is evidence that suggests multi-choice questions favour one sex with written prose favouring the other. I can't remember which way round it was, but apparently it also partly explains the different gender performance in certain subjects that favour one style of questioning over the other.

Again, vague memories :D

I think we should submit our vague recollections as the basis of a teaching overhaul, be about on the same par as the BS justification most political parties use anyway :p:D

Soldato
I think we should submit our vague recollections as the basis of a teaching overhaul, be about on the same par as the BS justification most political parties use anyway :p:D

I think this is a solid idea which no one can find fault with! Can we submit while waving our hands around in a mild way? :D

Back
Top Bottom