• Continue arguing my opinion whenever it comes up

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Get out before things get hairy

Votes: 143 50.5%
  • Pancake

Votes: 69 24.4%

• Total voters
Permabanned
Maybe you need to study some actual feminist material. Speech, writing, lobbying, etc.

You're so ignorant of feminism that you think "feminism" and "women" mean the same thing, so any opinion you have of feminism has no relevance to anything because it's not based on anything real.

Point proven. Stated nothing about my political stance either way and you jump on my back regardless. Internet forum culture in a nutshell. Perhaps you'd like to have relations with my mother as well?

Soldato
Hmmm interesting thread...i've been seeing an intensely intellectual lady for a while now with deeply held feminist beliefs..along with very interesting views on science, geopolitics, animal welfare and other things.

We don't agree on these topics entirely.. We don't have to agree. Relationships are not about being clones of each other.

As for the specific topic...and people have already raised that pay scales are the same for male and female. However consider....lifetime earnings. Women are more typically going to earn less in a career due to time off to raise children. We can't just brush that off as "womans choices" we need children.

Also while you may think feminism is in this country a crusade that has acheived its objectives...consider that women in this country from certain cultures do not live the same lives as men. That needs to be challenged.

Re children effecting lifetime earnings it does need to be considered until either a) men can start producing children or more sensibly b) the maternity/paternity laws which are unfairly biased toward women having more time off are equalised like some Scandanavian countries. Can't have it both ways (unless you are a feminist and don't care about equality)

Re women from certain cultures, that is not a goal of feminism, at least what we see in the UK, they are just pushing a woman's agenda and don't care about the situation of X culture as long as they get what they want.

Man of Honour
Point proven. Stated nothing about my political stance either way and you jump on my back regardless. Internet forum culture in a nutshell. Perhaps you'd like to have relations with my mother as well?

I made no reference to your political stance or your mother, so your "reply" is irrelevant nonsense. Your comment about jumping on people's backs and "internet forum culture in a nutshell" is particularly amusing given the post you made that I was replying to.

Thank you for supplying further support for my position. It wasn't necessary since it was already obvious I was right, but thank you anyway. Please continue.

Man of Honour
You're at a disadvantage because your arguments have to make sense :p

After 200,000 years of modern man evolution it is hardly surprising there are differences between men and women. It is not an important issue anyway.

There are some tendencies towards differences but with the exception of a few biological characteristics that can be objectively measured (e.g. height) it's very hard to get any solid information on which tendencies actually exist. For any that do, it would usually be impossible to seperate nature from nurture (again with the exception of those few objectively measurable biological characteristics).

On top of that, there's the problem of interpreting the effects of those differences and of common biases affecting that interpretation. For example, it's usually possible to tell an adult's sex solely from simple physical examination of their brain. That doesn't mean the differences have any effect. Also, the degree of difference has been wildly exaggerated into the idea that there is such a thing as a female brain and a male brain because that fits the fashionable prejudice that men and women are inherently and significantly different. Direct studying of human brains shows otherwise - all the people studied had brains with some "female" and some "male" characteristics because the belief is wrong. The only proven tendency is for men's brains to be bigger than women's brains. Which, to belabour the point, has no known effect.

It's not "men are from Mars, women are from Venus". It's "humans are from Earth".

Soldato
Well today i learned that Angilion has really strong views on Feminism.

We love Angilion but she always appear to develop her period rather spontaneously when this subject tends to come up.

And for the OP. Hehe, I once had a date with a woman that claimed to be an artist and Feminist! She even had a fancy name for her particular strain of feminism. Whichever strain tends to struggle with their weight and blame men for it ... but strangely still expected the man to be chivalrous when the bill arrived at the table :p

Night ended with her vomiting on her heals and she said if vomit was clay she could make something out of it. For a split second I thought about encouraging her to try but I felt sorry for the mess and got her to a tube station double quick and walked away. No doubt I would've been ****ged rotten in some 'blog post' somewhere with the rest of the cat chorus agreeing with her that she had a 'lucky escape'.

OP, steer clear!

Man of Honour
I think some of the patronising comments in this thread show that women do still have some way to go before they are seen as equals.

I don't think genuine discrimination should be dismissed because of instances of individuals being petty, nor that genuine issues should be countered in a petty way.

Man of Honour
I think some of the patronising comments in this thread show that women do still have some way to go before they are seen as equals.

That would be a valid point if it wasn't for the fact that similar or worse sexism is far more socially acceptable against men than it is against women.

I think that the only way to increase sexual equality is sexual equality. Actual sexual equality, not the feminist corruption of it. Thinking of humanity as only two entities (female people and males, i.e. not people) and at best dismissing "males" as unworthy of consideration is not sexual equality. That's the least sexist strain of feminism that can exist, since it's not actively hostile to male people.

I think that it should be obvious that sexual equality can't be about one sex only and can't be based entirely on the idea that a person's sex defines who and what they are and that every aspect of their life fits ludicrously simple steoreotypes. Sadly, feminists have been so successful in their devoted campaigning to destroy the very idea of sexual equality that those things are not usually seen as being obvious.

I don't think genuine discrimination should be dismissed because of instances of individuals being petty, nor that genuine issues should be countered in a petty way.

Nor do I, which is one of the many reasons why I'm opposed to feminism.

Man of Honour
Nor do I, which is one of the many reasons why I'm opposed to feminism.

I don't think femism means prioritising the rights of females at the expense of everyone else, rather the aim is to redress balance so that females are treated as equals.

I don't really see why anyone would be opposed to feminism... Over-zealous feminists might be opposable, but then so are everyone else who is over-zealous.

Man of Honour
I don't think femism means prioritising the rights of females at the expense of everyone else, rather the aim is to redress balance so that females are treated as equals.

I don't really see why anyone would be opposed to feminism... Over-zealous feminists might be opposable, but then so are everyone else who is over-zealous.

What's the point of feminism? What does it stand for?

Why specify advocacy of one particular gender? Why not equality?

Soldato
What's the point of feminism? What does it stand for?

Why specify advocacy of one particular gender? Why not equality?

I think the trouble with a lot of movements like feminism and pride is they genuinely are equality movements for the majority of the supporters, however there are always the extreme cases which are brought to light, and make the general population think the whole movement is an extreme "we deserve better than x" view, when it really isn't.

I've personally given up labelling anything. I just see myself as someone who supports the movement of pure "equality". Easier that way :D

Caporegime

yet the means of redressing that balance is through advocacy for women i.e. prioritising them (and their percieved issues) over everyone else

I don't think that people are denying that there are areas where women currently lose out and that ought to be addressed but rather that advocacy for one particular group instead of for all isn't a great way to address inequality

Back
Top Bottom