Fence

Associate
OP
Didn't you notice this before buying the house?

Be interested to see how this wall/fence looks.

To the OP - best to check but I believe there to be a limit of 6 feet height to a fence although this may be from the higher side of your neighbours i.e. measured from their side
I've lived in my house 9 years, the fence in question is a replacement for the original one that fell down. At the end of May the man who lives next door informed me they were putting a fence up, as the day went on I voiced my opinion and said it's too high, it's not like for like, he said he didn't want to upset me, I asked if just only one footboard could be used as this would make a difference, but it never happened

Soldato
Well he has upset you and essentially gave you 2 fingers to your objections.

The fence height rule isn't a choice, they can't just ignore it. Check with your council as to the rules they have but I know round here it can only be 2m without planning permission

Google Search.

Edit: it may also be worth advising them of the mess they have made of your garden and have the builders return to make that good.

You don't need to feel guilty about annoying your neighbour. At the end of the day, you voiced your concerns and, not only did they completely ignore them, they have put you in a position of spending unnecessary cash to rectify issues they have caused (via their builders)

Its 2M from the highest point just like a building, although thats supposed to be based on the natural ground level, certainly an interesting question if its been levelled into steps.
You could certainly argue that the 2M should be based on the level where the fence sits pre levelling (ie the natural). Would almost certainly be a very significant thing to get resolved in court and could be potentially a real game changer.

As I said before however, I would be more worried there isnt enough post in the ground. If there is more than 7' of a 9' fence post above ground then there is possibly not enough below ground.
A storm may be able to topple the fence, really going to be key how well they have installed it.

Associate
OP
As their garden is approximately the width of one footboard higher than my garden level at the bottom of the garden I kind of get why they put two footboards, but the garden level then matches mine about a third of the way up the garden, and then they have all this decking that's about two foot off the ground so they just continued with two footboards, the posts and footboards are in my garden, the footboards should have been placed as close as possible to the highpoint of the garden, but it wasn't.

There's gaps under the footboards resting on small bits of brick, this is why I thought my garden was under pressure and cracks were appearing .

I wish uploading pictures to here was straight forward

Soldato
Didn't you notice this before buying the house?

Be interested to see how this wall/fence looks.

To the OP - best to check but I believe there to be a limit of 6 feet height to a fence although this may be from the higher side of your neighbours i.e. measured from their side
Of course I noticed it, the neighbours property sits 5 foot higher than ours as the estate is on a hill, I'm not sure how else this could have been done without me being able to see into my neighbours garden. Are you saying that you wouldn't have bought it because of this ?

At the back of my property is a similar situation (houses sat much higher than ours), but the garden slopes up, so the fence at the top is a normal height.
Then the fence to the left of my property has been installed too low and in places sits only about 3/4 feet above the height of the garden, so this will obviously need sorting out at some point. no neighbours on that side though, just a public footway

Associate
if your going to plant climbers and a border etc. invest in some posts and a trellis we set our posts approx 6 inches away from neighbours fence panels amd trained plants up the trellis that way you dont damage it.
we are responsible for the hawthorn hedge but allowed them to take some of it out and they replaced it with 6ft high panels and yes 2 barge boards in concrete.
tbf it does look imposing but as with you there garden is quite a bit higher than ours so for peace we didnt say anything.

on the other side we were always getting into heated conversations with the ex neighbours on the other side of the property to the point of them reporting us to the council ......and then being told they were wasting there time:).
had the last laugh when they were selling, the new buyers came round to ask about the area before they made a final offer when we told them the history they got a sizable chunk off the asking price for not disclosing the complaints :))

Back
Top Bottom