Fence

Associate
Hope someone can give me some advice please
My neighbour recently erected a new fence between our gardens, the old one was wooden posts with wooden panels with a curved lattice piece on top.

The new fence is made up of, two concrete footboards, with a wooden panel and 9ft concrete posts, 2ft in the ground.
Their garden is slightly higher than mine, hence the two footboards, my problem is apart from this fence being 7ft 4" on my side, is I've got cracks opening up across my garden, the garden is cracked away from each post area, the footboards seem to be under pressure.

My main concern is this crack opening up across my lawn, it's about 1" wide at the widest point, any advice would be appreciated, or am I just concerned over nothing .Tia

Associate
The 300mm of gravel boards (150mm in the ground their side) are probably diverting rain runoff from the higher nextdoor garden. Fill the cracks with some topsoil/sand (whatever is cheaper). It seems like a poor finish on your side. Nextdoor probably dont know you've been left with a mess

Associate
OP
The 300mm of gravel boards (150mm in the ground their side) are probably diverting rain runoff from the higher nextdoor garden. Fill the cracks with some topsoil/sand (whatever is cheaper). It seems like a poor finish on your side. Nextdoor probably dont know you've been left with a mess
The gravel boards are not in the ground, some of the bottom gravel boards have had bits of brick or stone placed underneath them to get a level, one gravel board is about 2"/3"above ground level, right from the get go I told my neighbour it was not great, it's to high, but I guess they don't care ......I just think the entire fence is under pressure and my garden is cracking

Associate
how old is the house? we live in a block of 4 detached and under the soil about 6 inches its sandstone , we had similar and it was found to be the sandstone had cracks ,as said we filled with extra fine soil and reseeded, but was worrying for a while. maybe they caught something when putting the posts in?

just to add its a 1930s house and we have been here about 32 years with no other problems from the cracks.

Associate
OP
how old is the house? we live in a block of 4 detached and under the soil about 6 inches its sandstone , we had similar and it was found to be the sandstone had cracks ,as said we filled with extra fine soil and reseeded, but was worrying for a while. maybe they caught something when putting the posts in?

just to add its a 1930s house and we have been here about 32 years with no other problems from the cracks.
The house was built in the 60's , I've lived here 9 years and I've never noticed any cracks before in the garden, only since the new fence went up.... I'm just probably worrying unnecessarily or at least I hope I am.

I'm going to make some borders around my garden and plant climbers and other plants, in order to hide this fence.... At 7ft 4" it's very imposing

They look like moisture loss cracks to me, so the ground shrinks back
If their fence was applying pressure to your side you would expect it to be trying to compress the soil your side and open up cracks their side, so the opposite to what you are seeing

Its possible they haven't filled the holes properly so the ground has fallen back in to some extent as it has settled.
I would as others have said fill with soil and see if anything happens again.

If there is more than 7' of post showing then I would be worried they are not sunk enough personally

Associate
OP
I know the posts were 9ft long and I measured the fence before it was finished and the post is 7ft 4" above ground.

I shall get some top soil and as People have said fill the gaps and tidy the ground, I'm planning on making borders so pretty soon I won't see the concrete at the base of the posts

Soldato
You think a 7foot fence is imposing?
The border of my property to my neighbour has a wall about 5foot high, then a 6 foot fence on top of that. The wall on his side is less than a foot high by the way.

Associate
OP
The border of my property to my neighbour has a wall about 5foot high, then a 6 foot fence on top of that. The wall on his side is less than a foot high by the way.
In comparison to the previous fence that was there, it's made a massive difference, this is attached by a concrete post to the house wall, semi detected property, so when I look out into my garden, it's all i see
That is a high boundary fence to your neighbour,I guess you both get your privacy though

Soldato

Didn't you notice this before buying the house?

Be interested to see how this wall/fence looks.

To the OP - best to check but I believe there to be a limit of 6 feet height to a fence although this may be from the higher side of your neighbours i.e. measured from their side

Back
Top Bottom