Fiat 500 Abarth, any good?

Soldato
Cheers mate, appreciated. Looking at a 595 Abarth Competizione in red, it looks real sweet with those bucket seats tbh.
15 Plate onwards comes with digital dash.

The Series 3 (old style rear lights and bumpers) come with two options, a 160 and a 180. The 160 is an IHI Turbo, the 180 is a Garret turbo. The 180 comes with 3 Pot Brembo brakes with floating disks. The 160 comes with Bosch brakes, drilled disks. Under the bonnet, the heatshield on the turbo has 3 bolts for IHI and 1 bolt for Garret.

The Series 3 comes with a headunit that has no bluetooth audio but has handsfree, the headunit can be upgraded. The Series 4 has a headunit that can't be swapped out but has bluetooth.

how reliable are these things though engine wise and any other major parts? fiat has always been iffy has it not when it comes to long term reliability. okay when new and up to a few years. i know back at school my mate bought a second hand punto and soon after the axles were gone

Very little issues reported. Main issues are as follows:

• Door handles falling off. Can be repaired with a new hinge kit for around £6, however it's an utter ballache of a job and requires the door card coming off.
  • Wiring loom isn't quite long enough and there is reports of peoples having issues requiring the loom extending at the boot.

Soldato
how reliable are these things though engine wise and any other major parts? fiat has always been iffy has it not when it comes to long term reliability. okay when new and up to a few years. i know back at school my mate bought a second hand punto and soon after the axles were gone

Fiat are better than they used to be I think. But don't expect amazing engineering :(

Associate

• Door handles falling off. Can be repaired with a new hinge kit for around £6, however it's an utter ballache of a job and requires the door card coming off.
  • Wiring loom isn't quite long enough and there is reports of peoples having issues requiring the loom extending at the boot.

Also on the S4 the sills are prone to come away from the body towards the rear arch. Fixed under warranty. Has already happened on my 18 Plate.

Soldato
OP
15 Plate onwards comes with digital dash.

The Series 3 (old style rear lights and bumpers) come with two options, a 160 and a 180. The 160 is an IHI Turbo, the 180 is a Garret turbo. The 180 comes with 3 Pot Brembo brakes with floating disks. The 160 comes with Bosch brakes, drilled disks. Under the bonnet, the heatshield on the turbo has 3 bolts for IHI and 1 bolt for Garret.

The Series 3 comes with a headunit that has no bluetooth audio but has handsfree, the headunit can be upgraded. The Series 4 has a headunit that can't be swapped out but has bluetooth.

Hmm, I was really after Blue-tooth to hook the phone, and Spotify up. Might need to consider a 15+ plate..

Soldato
OP
Think a new one would be on the cards, been running through costs (insurance and such) and all is good with the Abarth in general :D

Soldato
OP
Good choice. Try a few dealers as many are useless with no knowledge of what they are selling as the Abarth section is often just a small attachment to the Fiat dealership.

Will do, there is one local to me that is a FIAT dealer, they have one in red, will need to have a close look and a wee test drive I think.

You're welcome.....

595 Comp Performance Pack

Abarth Carbon Backs

You know you want too.... :D

WOW!! those seats are sick!

Associate
These cars are basically a fashion statement no? The basis for the car is over ten years old now. Peugeot 208 Gti by peugeot sport looks a complete bargain by comparison.

As is the case with many models looks do matter but for me it is the size that sealed the deal. Similar size to the original 205gti that I drove many years ago and similar handling (with all the fun but also the unpredictability sometimes). Different than most other cars I owned/drove. Great fun.

Associate

Did this twice on my partners old Fiat 500 pop, although hers was a complete handle swap at about £35 a time since she didn't bother to tell me the hinge had failed until the whole handle came off in her/her friends' hands. Not entirely difficult but as stated is a pain in the rectum

Soldato
OP
Went earlier today and test drove a nice white Abarth, only issue is a little cramped but with proper adjustments and getting used to it, it will quickly become a non issue.

But loved it, great to drive and man that exhaust sounds sooo good!

But I’m unsure the route to go down, weather a 145 or a Turismo at 165hp?

What you guys think, as there is only 2-3k in them..

Soldato
Went earlier today and test drove a nice white Abarth, only issue is a little cramped but with proper adjustments and getting used to it, it will quickly become a non issue.

I have a S4 145 and will remap it soon, without mods 180 is average with a few hitting 200 with IHI turbo but the Turismo has the Garett turbo so can go over 200 easily with a map - depends if that’s your thing! As I recall Turismo has Koni FSD in the rear but std brakes, Comp is 180 with Brembo’s, Koni all round and sabelt seats - I had a choice between older Comp and new S4 so went new as will mod it over the years!

I tried all the hot hatches and a few inc the fiesta were clearly better cars but so dull to look at and awful 80s Matsui inside, tested the Abarth and knew I was buying it as we pulled out of the dealers and in yellow! Something about the, character or flaws depending if you own one or not ;)

Soldato
OP

Thought more about this, and TBH and reralisitc the hieght will become an issue on longer trips I think, so cutting short the Abarth interest. :(:(

Back looking at hot hatches, had a sit in a GTC VXR today, very nice..

Back
Top Bottom