Fiat Grande Punto

Soldato
I've been looking at all sorts of different cars and happened to have a look at the new Fiat Grande Punto. I really like the design of the car, interior and the equipment levels are very impresssive, not to mention the price of them is also impressive.

I was wondering if any one owns one, what the reliability has been and basically how you find the build quality. I'll probably be looking at the Sporting 1.9 M-Jet or the 1.4 T-Jet models.

Comments and suggestions welcome :)

BeatMaster :D

Soldato
There is one common fault so far, water can leak in through the hole in the window that the rear wiper pokes out of.

You can check for this when you collect it using the window washer.

There is also a 180+ bhp version of the 1.4 T-Jet coming.

Associate
I know a girl with one, when she 1st had it she had constant problems with the ignition not working. 6months on it seems to be fixed now, but she says she would not have bought it if she knew what it would have been like.

(she bought it new and its the cheapest one you can buy)

Soldato
I had one on rental for about a week when I was on holiday last year. Obviously it didn't break down because it was more or less a new car, but if I had to speculate as to what was going to go wrong, it would probably be the interior trim which seems a bit flimsy.

In terms of the way it drove, I was impressed - it feels perky and eager (even though its not particularly fast) and it feels 'light on its feet'. Lightyears better to drive than the absolutely hideous Skoda Fabia. Ride quality was pretty good and more absorbant than my BMW 323i though the downside is that at speed in bends it feels slightly floppy but that's probably more to do with a soft suspension setup and high profile tyres than any fundamental weakness. Car is slightly noisy on the motorway (doesn't seem to be much sound deadening).

Overall, I was impressed, and if I was in the market for a spacious supermini type car I would consider this.

PS Never buy a Fiat (or Peugeot) for that matter with a sunroof - they all leak eventually.

Soldato
OP
Sounds promising, I'm sure I've seen someone on the forum with a Fiat Grande Punto Sporting 1.9 M-Jet. Will have a search later on. I'm just really impressed by the car specification as it's the same level as a Golf GT TDi.

On the Fiat Grande Punto Sporting 1.9 M-Jet you get:
130bhp/280Nm
9.2secs to 60
125mph
Group 6
ABS + EBD
ESP + ASR/MSR
HBA + Hill Holder
17" Alloys
Air Con
"Follow me home" headlights

There's is more but that's the main feature spec :cool:

BeatMaster :D

POB

POB

Soldato
[TW]Fox;10622347 said:
You mean just like the 5 Series did in 1996?

WOW AWESOME QUICK SPEND £10k ON PUNTO LOLZ

OMG OMG WOW WOW The BMW has Wheels and an Engine LOZ ZLZOZLZLPSOJKPDFOjsdofuhiodushuiofh sohv LOL, just like the Model T had in 1908 :D

Man of Honour
i've driven a grande punto for about 1 mile, the steering is very light with not much feedback, but the brakes are amazing

it was ok actually definitely worth a test drive. the boot has no handle on it so you've got to use you finger nails. really bad design there.

Soldato
OMG OMG WOW WOW The BMW has Wheels and an Engine LOZ ZLZOZLZLPSOJKPDFOjsdofuhiodushuiofh sohv LOL, just like the Model T had in 1908 :D

Genuine LOL at your witty riposte to Foxy's acidic bile :D

the boot has no handle on it so you've got to use you finger nails. really bad design there.

Er, there's a remote "plipper" button on the driver ignition key that pops the boot open and you just lift the tailgate up like any other car....

Last edited:
Associate
BeatMaster; said:
I'm sure I've seen someone on the forum with a Fiat Grande Punto Sporting 1.9 M-Jet.

That would be me:D

My opinion on the car, i absolutly love it!:cool: Get so much equipment for the money, and the Blue & Me is great especially as on some other cars that would be an expensive option.
Since i've had it had loads of comments off mates and people at work, not one negative.

I'm really impressed with the interior, the sloping windscreen gives the impression that it is a much bigger car than it actually is.

Now i know it's no M5 and i'm not making it out to be but i've caught a few people out with it.

I've had it just over a year now and done 20,000 trouble free miles and it still puts a smile on my face.
People have commented on the steering being light, i would agree but i got used to it very quickly but my previous car had no p/s and felt like a tank, it's just what your used to.
The brakes are truly amazing, when you test drive it i guarentee you the first time you touch the pedal you will know about it. Got me out of some sticky situations.

Any questions fire away will try my best to answer them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom