Fiat Panda Owners? Don't read this....you gon die.

Man of Honour
Saving for a Polo?

Wise man.

My first driving instructor had a Polo - I hated it - one of the reasons I changed to another driving school.

Looking for something a bit bigger at the moment though - been eyeing up the Amarok.

Soldato
The Panda is the victim of tougher standards introduced by Euro NCAP in 2018. It’s an old design, first introduced in 2012, and seems not to have kept pace with safety.

Avery said it was particularly weak in crash avoidance technology. “As the bare minimum, a standard-fit Autonomous Emergency Braking system should be available with the Fiat Panda.

The Fiat Panda wasn’t the only poor performer from Fiat Chrysler Automobiles. The all-new Jeep Wrangler also scored badly, earning a paltry one star.

It has a seatbelt reminder and a rudimentary speed limiter but otherwise, lacks a single piece of driver-assistance technology. “The Wrangler clears the one-star threshold but lags far behind its competitors,” said Euro NCAP secretary general Michiel van Ratingen.

So, basically, the main reason it got such a poor rating was because it doesn't have the modern autonomous braking stuff and since they've changed the rules, that counts against it? Seems a bit unfair as if you drove a 5 year old 4-5 star car you'd be led to believe the Panda was vastly more dangerous than yours, which doesn't seem to be the case.

OcUK Staff
My first driving instructor had a Polo - I hated it - one of the reasons I changed to another driving school.

Looking for something a bit bigger at the moment though - been eyeing up the Amarok.

Clearly could not handle the power and intimidation of the polo. ;)
Big cars are great, we should all get S8's! :D

Soldato
Great going to have to avoid these things now in fear I may kill the occupants, all i need included with the regular numpties on the road, Why have you done this fiat, I was going to get a Multipla aswell cause they're great looking cars and great perf.....*runs*

Caporegime
Still substantially safer than either of my late 80's non airbag non ABS cars. :p

The E30's sales brochure actually has a bit in it about the thickness of the high density padding on the pillar trims and dashboard. Presumably the idea is that you will die slightly more comfortably when you bounce your head off of them. :p

Soldato
So, basically, the main reason it got such a poor rating was because it doesn't have the modern autonomous braking stuff and since they've changed the rules, that counts against it? Seems a bit unfair as if you drove a 5 year old 4-5 star car you'd be led to believe the Panda was vastly more dangerous than yours, which doesn't seem to be the case.

It did poorly in a crash so they said you needed those just to help.

"Avery said it was particularly weak in crash avoidance technology. “As the bare minimum, a standard-fit Autonomous Emergency Braking system should be available with the Fiat Panda."

“This is especially important since the car offers so little protection in the event of a collision.”

JRS

JRS

Soldato
isnt that a fiat 500 without its dress on?

Technically the 500 is based on the platform used for the Panda Mk2 (released in 2003, 500 came along in '07), and the car in question here is the Mk3 Panda (released in 2012) based on that same platform. So I fully expect a hit piece in the press soon on the crash worthiness of the 500!

Soldato
It did poorly in a crash so they said you needed those just to help.

"Avery said it was particularly weak in crash avoidance technology. “As the bare minimum, a standard-fit Autonomous Emergency Braking system should be available with the Fiat Panda."

“This is especially important since the car offers so little protection in the event of a collision.”

I did see that, but it sounds like any car without these systems is basically guaranteed to get a very low score. I’m not saying the Panda would be a 5 star car otherwise, but I highly doubt it would have got 0.

Soldato
This is simply down to it being an older model without the new technology on it. The Punto that was mentioned in the press recently was one of the safest cars in its class at launch and scored either a 4 or 5 star rating, it too now scores a zero. It isn't any less safe than when it was released, the competition has simply moved on. It would be interesting to see what lane assist, auto braking and all the other non structural additions would have made to the score.

NCAP is second only to Thatcham for its box ticking score system anyway :p

Back
Top Bottom