Fiesta MK8

Soldato
it depends on the persons opinion. for 20k you can buy some really nice cars.

Depends what you're after ultimately, but if you're not a brand person, and you want something economical, that's really really nice to drive, comfortable and cheaper than a VAG to repair, this is worth looking at.

Build quality on this, I thought, was amazing.

I personally am a bit of a brand snob, so for ~20K, I'd rather have a 2 year old 235i

Soldato
Almost every car with fuel injection does this - can't remember anything in the last 15 years that I've driven that doesn't: you can creep at low speed in traffic with nothing more than the clutch

Transit van i drove a few years ago had this which I thought was pretty cool, bring clutch up to biting point and the van applied correct amount of throttle to get you going.

Soldato
Almost every car with fuel injection does this - can't remember anything in the last 15 years that I've driven that doesn't: you can creep at low speed in traffic with nothing more than the clutch

The anti stall in my Fiesta is my most hated thing about it, I think it's a Ford thing as nothing else I drive behaves like it.

I'm really gentle on the throttle on take off as a rule and almost every time I set off I have usually applied less throttle than the anti stall so instead of a smooth take off I get this juddery mess in between my throttle input and the increased throttle input of the ECU, I'm wondering if it's something that can be removed or disabled in a remap as it really does my head in, I'm an exceptionally smooth driver and do 45k miles a year in other vehicles but when driving my own it looks like I'm a learner bunny hopping off every junction.

Soldato
Depends what you're after ultimately, but if you're not a brand person, and you want something economical, that's really really nice to drive, comfortable and cheaper than a VAG to repair, this is worth looking at.

I personally am a bit of a brand snob, so for ~20K, I'd rather have a 2 year old 235i

See I am after a car that brings me joy driving it and the ST is brilliant at that. It's so nimble and agile that it never gets old but has enough creature comforts (heated half leather seats and wind screen, sat nav, usb connectivity etc.) that it isn't a bad place to be in. I have the Mk 7.5 model and bought it used but honestly I would heavily consider any brand new car for £20k that was as enjoyable as my ST.

Soldato
See I am after a car that brings me joy driving it and the ST is brilliant at that. It's so nimble and agile that it never gets old but has enough creature comforts (heated half leather seats and wind screen, sat nav, usb connectivity etc.) that it isn't a bad place to be in. I have the Mk 7.5 model and bought it used but honestly I would heavily consider any brand new car for £20k that was as enjoyable as my ST.

Would deffo look into the new Mk 8 if you like your 7.5 - I felt it was quite a bit step up from a car that's already very nice to drive.

Soldato
The anti stall in my Fiesta is my most hated thing about it, I think it's a Ford thing as nothing else I drive behaves like it.

I'm really gentle on the throttle on take off as a rule and almost every time I set off I have usually applied less throttle than the anti stall so instead of a smooth take off I get this juddery mess in between my throttle input and the increased throttle input of the ECU, I'm wondering if it's something that can be removed or disabled in a remap as it really does my head in, I'm an exceptionally smooth driver and do 45k miles a year in other vehicles but when driving my own it looks like I'm a learner bunny hopping off every junction.

I hated the hill start assist on my MK7 ST as it was always way to slow to release. It was the first thing to be turned off.

Soldato

Guy I work with has a polo gti (on pcp). He said they are 23 grand new:eek: and I noticed it has ****** tartan fabric seats not leather.

Associate
Does anyone else who's driven one of these find the brakes to be awfully grabby? My mother got a 1.0 Zetec last year, while I was being ferried about last year with a broken collarbone I thought she was just being heavy footed on the brake but driving it myself it's the same - even with a light touch it feels like you've slammed on.

She's previously loads of other Fiestas, all from new which I've driven and these were all fine. But in this one it's incredibly difficult to brake smoothly at low speeds. Really spoils trying to drive the car :mad:

Soldato
Probably more to do with the brakes being overly assisted, rather than the brakes themselves. In non-sporty cars you get that a lot :/

The ST is unlikely to be like that.

Soldato
Probably more to do with the brakes being overly assisted, rather than the brakes themselves. In non-sporty cars you get that a lot :/

The ST is unlikely to be like that.
It's most cars these days, even a Cayman I drove had brakes that were a bit too 'grabby'(compared to my 911 I had at the time), my wife's focus at also required retraining as its a case of almost going through the windscreen.

Soldato
Does anyone else who's driven one of these find the brakes to be awfully grabby? My mother got a 1.0 Zetec last year, while I was being ferried about last year with a broken collarbone I thought she was just being heavy footed on the brake but driving it myself it's the same - even with a light touch it feels like you've slammed on.

She's previously loads of other Fiestas, all from new which I've driven and these were all fine. But in this one it's incredibly difficult to brake smoothly at low speeds. Really spoils trying to drive the car :mad:

I didn't find that at all - in fact I found it easier to brake smoothly in this compared the Mk 7.5.

There is more leeway with pressure before the brakes start really kicking in, making it easier to get that nice smooth stop :)

Associate
I have to say I find the newer Fiestas one of the most over-rated small cars on the market, so many reviews praise it, but I really found it hard to see many redeeming features. In the age brackets of <18 >65 I get it, otherwise I'd have the UP / Ygo (spelling, that tiny thing from Toyota) or (for not much more money) Focus. When you get in something like a VX Adam or a UP it's just a fun place to be, a little go kart, the Fiesta is a proper miserable granny mobile and honestly after occasionally having to suffer one as a in day rental I'd get something else.

Caporegime
You can on a flat road but this felt different - the Fiesta Mk 7.5 I'd been driving would stall on an incline without gas, but this will still pull away with just the clutch. It compensates for my poor driving ability at times :p
Perhaps just a characteristic of a relatively small engine? - as already said I’ve not driven a car for years that won’t pull away smoothly at tick over so long as you release the clutch smoothly even on a slight incline...

Easier with diesel than petrol engines certainly, but not a problem in my experience even with modern - hateful - 3 cylinders.

I’m interested in trying one of these Fiestas now but don’t think I’ll like it applying power by itself....

Back
Top Bottom