file being used, want to delte it

i downloaded what i thought was macromedia flash but i guess it is some virus or something so im trying to delete it but i can't as it tells me that it is being used by some other program, though it defiently is not. It is only an .exe install file. what can i do? i have scanned it with avast but it says it is ok. is there a way to find what if anything that is using the program? when i click on it a black screen thing pops up and goes quickly just like command prompt

Last edited:
Associate
the only way in the past that ive been able to do this is by renaming the file, restarting the pc and then in either safe mode or normal, delete the new renamed file.....

worked for me on a couple of files that were being used

Soldato
OP
Willbo said:
the only way in the past that ive been able to do this is by renaming the file, restarting the pc and then in either safe mode or normal, delete the new renamed file.....

worked for me on a couple of files that were being used

well i tried renaming and it said same repsonse, and also how i start up in safe mode, something so simple i still haven't learnt lol

Associate
addy_010 said:
well i tried renaming and it said same repsonse, and also how i start up in safe mode, something so simple i still haven't learnt lol

off the top of my head its "F8" either just before or whilst Windows XP is booting up. Think its basically keep pressing just before the logo and the blue bar pops up as windows loads.

not sure if you cant rename, i had to delete a windows file that was being used, and renaming it worked ok for me

Man of Honour
addy_010 said:
is there a way to find what if anything that is using the program?

Go get a thing called Process Explorer, it's a wee tool which tells you what is running and what files are open etc. On the down side it's hideously complex and the GUI was coded by Bealzeebub himself but it works...

You need to do a search by handle for the offending filename, PE will then tell you what has the file open, you can then kill that process through task manager and hopefully the file can then be deleted.

Back
Top Bottom