final cut express vs final cut pro vs iMovie

Associate
Hi - I understand the latest version of iMovie does support HD AVCHD's. So, with that in mind I would like to understand which of the apps listed in the title I should go with (iMovie, FCE, FCP). All I want to do is edit movies of my kids for burning to blu-ray (i know i have to use toast 10 for this). I would like:

• nice transitions (but mostly will just use fade in/out and wipe),
  • a few titles at the beginning and sub titles now and then,
  • the ability to use mp3 files as background music and mix the video soundtrack with the music soundtrack,
  • ability to create chapters in both dvd and blu-ray

Which software would be best for me? Also, do i need anything in addition to toast 10 and the above editing software to be able to author blu-rays with chapters and nice backgrounds to the menu/index bit of the disc?

Cheers,
Dub

Soldato
iMovie, by the sound of it. If that's all you want to do you'd be wasting your cash and your time with Final Cut. You can make really nice movies with iMovie, it shouldn't be underestimated :)

Have you got iMovie '09 on your machine already?

Soldato
Final Cut Express will be fine and has quite a few options and transitions, FCP is just way over the odds really for what the casual user will need. 90% of what you might need FCE will do anyway.

The problem is burning to blu-ray, possible but a bit of a PITA tbh with macs atm.

Associate
OP
hi guys - just want to clarify that i dont own a mac yet because im still trying to decide on 13" or 15". Actually the issue is more about whether i need discrete gpu - since the portability of the 13" is extremely desirable for me and i will use it with an external monitor for video and raw editing.. but thats a different story.

I think i will try imovie and then if its not enough then go for fce. I guess i will need toast 10 to burn to blu ray right?

Caporegime
hi guys - just want to clarify that i dont own a mac yet because im still trying to decide on 13" or 15". Actually the issue is more about whether i need discrete gpu - since the portability of the 13" is extremely desirable for me and i will use it with an external monitor for video and raw editing.. but thats a different story.

I think i will try imovie and then if its not enough then go for fce. I guess i will need toast 10 to burn to blu ray right?

erm....Macs don't have BR drives, so you'll need to get an external one.

Associate
Hi - I understand the latest version of iMovie does support HD AVCHD's. So, with that in mind I would like to understand which of the apps listed in the title I should go with (iMovie, FCE, FCP). All I want to do is edit movies of my kids for burning to blu-ray (i know i have to use toast 10 for this). I would like:

• nice transitions (but mostly will just use fade in/out and wipe),
  • a few titles at the beginning and sub titles now and then,
  • the ability to use mp3 files as background music and mix the video soundtrack with the music soundtrack,
  • ability to create chapters in both dvd and blu-ray

Which software would be best for me? Also, do i need anything in addition to toast 10 and the above editing software to be able to author blu-rays with chapters and nice backgrounds to the menu/index bit of the disc?

Cheers,
Dub

well, Moyea Video Converter can help you easily and fastly convert any video to mpeg or vob acceptable to DVD with excellent output quality, andafter that you can burn it to DVD by burning software.

actually this program adopts advanced audio and video sync technology.

Back
Top Bottom