Final Fantasy 3 (6) on SNES

Associate
Hi All

This is my first time posting on a forum so hopefully I'm doing this correctly.

One Christmas, back in the day, I received Final Fantasy 3 (6) for my SNES. I very quickly realised that the game was something special. The story telling and presentation were like nothing I had seen before and at the time I had never played a turn based RPG which then had me hooked. After a day or two of playing glitches started to occur in the menus. This fast became such an issue that I couldn’t play it anymore. I ended up swapping it for another title (I can’t remember what exactly but it was a poor substitute). I should mention at this point that I owned a PAL SNES and I was playing an American import using a converter.

The pain of the loss was soothed on my birthday a few months later when Chrono Trigger came my way (again an NTSC import). My fear that this title would start to glitch through the new convertor I also received were unfounded and Chrono Trigger became (and possibly still is) my all-time favourite RPG beating Secret of Mana (which I received the Christmas prior to the Final Fantasy 6 Christmas, also an NTSC import).

It was a few years later that Final Fantasy 7 was released on the PlayStation. I have played and completed it a few times over the years and I still find it an incredible title (it doesn’t quite beat Chrono Trigger for me personally but it’s close).

Fast forward to present day and I found myself lamenting the missed experience of Final Fantasy 6. I decided to buy a copy in the hope that the slightly more modern convertor I had (which worked for Chrono Trigger, a later title) would be able to overcome the glitches. Alas it was not to be and in fact it started to glitch far sooner than I remembered all those years ago.

And so I come to my reason behind this post. I am hoping that someone here has had better luck than me and knows of a convertor and PAL game combination which will allow me to play Final Fantasy 6 from beginning to end on my PAL console without glitches?

I am aware that a version is due to be released on Steam shortly, which I don’t fancy, and I read an article which mentioned remasters are on the way but who knows how long that may take, and that’s assuming they will be any good. I am looking for the original experience.

Any guidance would be much appreciated and thanks for reading.

Soldato
I'll see if I can find our old converter when I get home - it played FF6 without issue. No guarantees as most of the old snes stuff is long gone tho. Secret of Mana is my fave of the big three btw. Chrono Trigger and FF6 are great, but playing Seceet of Mana with my bro and best mate over a summer holiday is as good as it gets.

Caporegime
I have such converter at home as I have a US copy of Secret of Mana, I also have Japanese games too. I use the converter to play them.

The converter has 2 slots, one on the top, one on the back. You put the region you are in the back and the game you are playing at the top.

So I always have a UK PAL game at the back, then just swap the top one out. It seems that's how it works and i suspect that if I put it into a Japanese console I can play US and UK games if I put a Japanese game at the back.

I will get a photo later and show you what it is.

p.s. I also had FF6 too, I can't recall where i put it now though! not seen it in decades.

Associate
OP
Oh fingers crossed then. Thanks for the responses both.

I never could find anyone willing to play Secret of Mana with me. All my friends wouldn't play anything without guns or cars in.

I seem to recall that some PAL titles worked better in converters than others. I used to use my Scope PAL cart for most of my imports but for some reason it didn't work with Secret of Mana. I think I used Mario Kart for that instead.

Associate
OP
Okay. I’ll look to pick up a copy of Super Mario World then (a PAL copy as mine if the Famicom version) and hopefully that will work. I don’t suppose you found the converter you used too?

Soldato
Hi All

This is my first time posting on a forum so hopefully I'm doing this correctly.

One Christmas, back in the day, I received Final Fantasy 3 (6) for my SNES. I very quickly realised that the game was something special. The story telling and presentation were like nothing I had seen before and at the time I had never played a turn based RPG which then had me hooked. After a day or two of playing glitches started to occur in the menus. This fast became such an issue that I couldn’t play it anymore. I ended up swapping it for another title (I can’t remember what exactly but it was a poor substitute). I should mention at this point that I owned a PAL SNES and I was playing an American import using a converter.

The pain of the loss was soothed on my birthday a few months later when Chrono Trigger came my way (again an NTSC import). My fear that this title would start to glitch through the new convertor I also received were unfounded and Chrono Trigger became (and possibly still is) my all-time favourite RPG beating Secret of Mana (which I received the Christmas prior to the Final Fantasy 6 Christmas, also an NTSC import).

It was a few years later that Final Fantasy 7 was released on the PlayStation. I have played and completed it a few times over the years and I still find it an incredible title (it doesn’t quite beat Chrono Trigger for me personally but it’s close).

Any guidance would be much appreciated and thanks for reading.

if I felt that passionately about a snes game I would be buying a Nintendo classic mini.

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Misc-/Ni...er-Nintendo-Entertainment-System-1238330.html

Associate
OP
I didn’t know Final Fantasy 6 was on the mini if I’m honest. That’s said a mini would have cost me about the same as a Final Fantasy cart and as I mentioned in my first post I was expecting it to work on the more modern (in SNES timelines anyway) converter that worked with Chrono Trigger, a later title.

Back
Top Bottom