Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade - Now on Steam & Epic Games

Soldato
Yes, but that is for the complete game. This isn't the complete game, it's £70 for the first part of the game, Midgar only.
It has a similar amount of game play time. So price per hour of entertainment is the same.

If they had to do it all in one go we would have got a very watered down version of Midgar, I prefer the multi part release as we will get more product to enjoy.

I'd definitely have loved a remaster in these graphics that's for sure - I mainly wanted it to be a 1:1 retelling without the destruction of 20 year's worth of story, but I appreciate that other people aren't like me. People can say this is a full game to them, but if say Witcher 3 had released with just content up to Novigrad next year with new and improved graphics/systems etc people would complain just the same as I am. I've put thousands of hours into the Final Fantasy series altogether and no doubt just want what is unobtainable. I'd have rather waited 4-5 more years for a complete solution.

The remaster versions pretty much already exists in the PC mods.

To do it in the graphical style of remake would probably be financially unviable, it's not a question if waiting 4-5 years, the cost of making would be 3 times more so you'd need 3 times the sales or 3 times the price.
With the amount of moaning at the £70 price tag, a £200 wouldn't work. And I can't see sales trebling even if the game was 3 times longer.

The Witcher 3 is a bad example, that game didn't come out in 1997, so it doesn't need a remake and probably never will, unless VR becomes mainstream.

Soldato
OP
To do it in the graphical style of remake would probably be financially unviable, it's not a question if waiting 4-5 years, the cost of making would be 3 times more so you'd need 3 times the sales or 3 times the price.
With the amount of moaning at the £70 price tag, a £200 wouldn't work. And I can't see sales trebling even if the game was 3 times longer.

Actually they discussed a direct remake from the original but Kitase wanted to go this route, it had nothing to do with money. You can find the interview online (I don't know where off the top of my head) and his reasons why. In the interview personally I agreed with his reasons and am mostly happy with this version.

Soldato

The Witcher 3 is a bad example, that game didn't come out in 1997, so it doesn't need a remake and probably never will, unless VR becomes mainstream.

The point completely stands, they've re-released/remade an incomplete game, doesn't matter when it came out, they've called it a remake based on an existing FULL game, and have remade and re-released a tiny portion of it. You can glorify that all you want, it's a kick in the face to consumers and fans alike to not only do it this way but to also ruin the story which fans have appreciated since 1997. No amount of fleshing Midgar out or elements of it will make this a different matter. I'd have rather had a new game altogether set in a different world in a different story than this personally, a remake should be true to form in my opinion. But not everyone agrees on that, and that's fine. D

FF7 is already completely over-glorified online, no doubt a full release would have done amazingly, it was the majority of peoples introduction to the FF series and the first 3D one, I still probably wouldn't have paid £70 for it but it would have been an easier pill to swallow for the full game. The thought of picking up part 2 and immediately being assaulted with the worse part of the game Kalm (in my opinion) is soul-destroying.

Soldato
OP
The point completely stands, they've re-released/remade an incomplete game, doesn't matter when it came out, they've called it a remake based on an existing FULL game, and have remade and re-released a tiny portion of it. You can glorify that all you want, it's a kick in the face to consumers and fans alike to not only do it this way but to also ruin the story which fans have appreciated since 1997. No amount of fleshing Midgar out or elements of it will make this a different matter. I'd have rather had a new game altogether set in a different world in a different story than this personally, a remake should be true to form in my opinion. But not everyone agrees on that, and that's fine. D

FF7 is already completely over-glorified online, no doubt a full release would have done amazingly, it was the majority of peoples introduction to the FF series and the first 3D one, I still probably wouldn't have paid £70 for it but it would have been an easier pill to swallow for the full game. The thought of picking up part 2 and immediately being assaulted with the worse part of the game Kalm (in my opinion) is soul-destroying.

Correct me if I’m wrong but haven’t you not tried remake yet? I don’t get the whole it’s a tiny portion comment you feel so strongly about when it isn’t the same as the 97 version. It’s a different game, a fully fleshed out one at that. You know the overall story and that’s the same but a lot of the other stuff isn’t.

Soldato
Correct me if I’m wrong but haven’t you not tried remake yet? I don’t get the whole it’s a tiny portion comment you feel so strongly about when it isn’t the same as the 97 version. It’s a different game, a fully fleshed out one at that. You know the overall story and that’s the same but a lot of the other stuff isn’t.

I've watched it played, but not had a chance to play it myself. I appreciate you don't have a problem with them doing it this way. I do have a problem with it, probably best to leave it at that really as don't want to derail the thread anymore with my rantings. I've put it off and off playing it because I know I'll be disappointed. But you cannot deny that Midgar is a tiny portion of the original 1997 release. This is still called FF7 and therefore it's a tiny portion to me, regardless of how much fleshing out of stuff they do. I probably shouldn't post in remake threads as I'm never happy, would much rather have an original concept than a remake which is done badly.

Soldato
OP
But you cannot deny that Midgar is a tiny portion of the original 1997 release.

When we both compare it to the original of course you're right. Obviously I understand we both see this from different perspectives and when the game was first announced in at least 3 parts the overwhelming majority were unhappy with this including me. I had the same take as you.

But then we had the reasons why, and for me personally when I was a kid I use to think of the original and wish they fleshed out Zacks story or had more content after you saw the video of Cloud and Zack escape Nibelheim or added more to here and there and so much more. With Remake we had the Yuffie DLC that did exactly that, and remake expanded on so much more, Biggs, Wedge and Jessie you care much more about in remake compared to the original due to this.

I guess what I'm saying, is that you should play through it yourself, you might feel differently. I'm not saying you won't fundamentally change your mind, but I do think you'll appreciate some of remake.

A youtube channel called Final Fantasy Union recently polled it's viewers asking if they would rather the parts come out sooner or wait longer for Squaresoft to fully flesh out the next instalments, over 80% would prefer we get more content whilst waiting longer. Remake really has some great things, as well as bad some of which you've mentioned. It's not perfect for a number of reasons, but it excels in other areas.

Back
Top Bottom