Final year as a junior powerlifter - I still don't even lift

Associate
It's a new year and that means a new log. Injuries ruined me last year so achieving my goals was a no go to the extent I can't remember what my individual goals were other than get a 455kg total. That total is still super light and it is indeed still a goal but I'm treating this year like I treated the last few months of my training. I'm going to simply take each block as it comes with the focus on improving just enough so my numbers increase for the following cycle. This way I don't get caught up by chasing numbers whilst just trying to be injury free and maybe get a little bit strong.

I'm training as if I'm going to compete in August as that should give me enough time to at least feel comfortable with the movements and it gives my training direction and a purpose. I haven't decided if I'm going to compete equipped or not, I shall just see how the training goes and decide nearer the time.

Stats of 2017
Raw
Dreamforger -------------------- 122.5+ / 100+ / 167.5+ -------- [81.3] ---- 390

Equipped
Dreamforger -------------------- - / 120 / 170+ -------- [81.3] ---- 290

Old log can be found here

Last edited:
Associate
OP
04/01/17 - Wednesday - Light Squats

Tonight was light squats. Back on the hypertrophy training and fuelled with some peanut butter and a mars bar. Clearly not sufficient for training so sure enough it was a very short session.

High Bar Squat

Bar x lots x lots
40kg x 8
60kg x 4
70kg x 4
75kg x 3x12

Not bad.

Sumo Deadlift

60kg x 5
80kg x 3
100kg x 2
110kg x 1
115kg x 6

I was just tired from the squats and the lack of food before training. Lets see what tomorrow brings.

Associate
OP
05/01/17 - Thursday - Heavy Deadlifts

This session was sponsored by half a dominos pizza and half a kickers combo.

Sumo Deadlift

RDLs x lots
60kg x 5
80kg x 3
100kg x 3
120kg x 1
130kg(B) x 1
135kg(B) x 6

Well that went much better than last night. Gives me an ok starting point.

Deficit Deadlift

112.5kg(S) x 3x8

Hands were really sore even with the wraps on. The form was good but the lifts were just a bit slow.

Wide Grip BOR

40kg x 4x10

Easy, really need to get back on track with back work.

DBSS

BW x 3x10

First time in a while. Booooooooo!

Happy with that session. Super baby weights but things are feeling comfortable so that's a good start. Bench tomorrow hopefully.

Associate
OP
Not bad... Not bad. :cool:

I'm doing what I can so I keep gaining during my new hypertrophy phase of training. I'll worry about cutting and classes at a future day, for now it's all about volume and food.

06/01/17 - Friday - Medium Bench

First time benching in a short while and it went ok. Fatigue hit me a little on the close grip and I didn't fancy dying so and to rack a rep early.

Medium Grip Bench

Bar x lots x lots
40kg x 8
50kg x 6
60g x 4
65kg x 3x10

Not bad for day one. Managed max sets and reps so +2.5kg to my training max

Close Grip Bench

57.5kg x 2x10
57.5kg x 9

Shame about the last rep but first session back and I need to get used to volume again. I'm still happy all the same. Just means next time I will get 3x10 at the same weight or heavier if I'm feeling good.

Cable chest Flys (Low to High)

12.5kg x 3x10

Since I've been giving my chest some more attention than just benching, my bench seems to be feeling better.

Cable Rows

45kg x 4x10

Easy, more weight and more reps next time.

Face Pulls

25kg x 3x10

Nice and easy, just needed some rear delt stuff.

Good session, an increase to some maxes which is nice.

Associate
OP
In for pizza gains

For some reason pizza gains wore off pretty quickly as training tonight was rubbish...

07/01/17 - Saturday - Medium Squats

The session started off well but it felt like my positioning was off on my working sets even though I was assured everything looked fine. I could just be over thinking it, or I could just be getting re-familiar with the movements.

High bar Squats

Bar x lots x lots
40kg x 8
60kg x 6
70kg x 4
80kg x 3x10

Much harder than I would have liked but never mind.

Front Squats

65kg x 10
65kg x 8
60kg x 8

Not how I wanted them to go buy oh well. Hopefully they'll improve next time.

Stiff Leg Deadlifts

60kg x 5
80kg x 5
100kg(S) x 3x10

These weren't too bad. Hands were still sore from the deadlift session so the straps came in useful. I've been adding 10kg each session so now I shall slow it down to maybe 2.5kg - 5kg as there's no hurry or requirement with progression with this movement.

Missed out Leg press and weighted lunges as I'm really busy again but I'll do my best to get full sessions in when I can.

Associate
OP
08/01/17 - Sunday - Heavy Bench

Heavy bench session that wasn't that heavy as I used the lower %. First time going back to wide grip in a while and the lower % allowed me to have much better control over the scapular. The other thing I did before hand was stretch the hips as that allowed a better/more even foot placement, as well as do some thoracic stretches too. Strength isn't at an all time high but it's looking good so far.

Bench

Bar x lots x lots
40kg x8
50kg x 6
60kg x 4
70kg x 3x8

Not bad at all. I shall increase the % next time providing all feels good.

Slingshot Bench

77.5kg x 2x8

The first set felt like I might die but the second set was amazing.

Incline DB Bench

17.5kg x 3x10

More weight and reps next time.

DB OHP

12.5kg x 3x10

DB Rows

20kg x 4x10

Plenty of room to progress so this should be fun.

Associate
OP
12/01/17 - Wednesday - Heavy Squats

Decided to go for a 6RM, which probably wasn't the best of ideas since I've only just started training again but a pb is a pb. +15kg onto the training max but +7.5kg this week and +7.5kg towards the end of the cycle.

High Bar Squats

Bar x lots x lots
40kg x 8
60kg x6
80kg x6
100kg(B) x 6
110kg(B) x 6

Technically an all time high bar 6rm. Estimated max isn't quite where it was but since the strength is coming back pretty quickly I'm not worried.

High Bar Squats with Wraps

110kg(B) x 1

Clearly I'm not very good at wrapping or simply not used to them. Either way more practice is needed and we shall see what happens.

Should have done paused squats but the sleeves were off and they were too sweaty to get back on. Skipped to sift leg deadlifts instead.

Stiff Leg Deadlifts

60kg x 5
80kg x 3
100kg x 3
105kg(S) x 3x10

Once I started to pull the slack out these were really easy. Upping the reps next time.

Happy with that session. Looks like things are on the up.

Associate
OP
Pizza is clearly a slow gaining foodstuff

Training and eating seems to be a good combo right now. Bench felt really nice tonight. Shoulder and back mobility seems to be helping a lot as well as focusing on simultaneous contraction and really keeping.

12/01/17 - Thursday - Light Bench

Light bench was a very nice session as things simply feel like they're improving.

Medium Grip Bench

Bar x lots x lots
40kg x 8
50kg x 6
60kg x 3x12

Very nice. A few reps in the last set weren't as tight as I would have liked but once I noticed everything was fine.

Incline Bench Press

50kg x 3x12

Still getting used to these. 2.5kg - 5kg next time to keep the estimated max moving.

Lat Pulldown

45kg x 4x10

Tricep Pushdown

20kg x 3x10

Kept them slow as the tricep hurt on the first rep when I tried ~30-35kg and then it was absolutely fine.

Cable Lateral Raises

10kg x 3x10

Much better than dumbbells.

Really happy with that session. Feels like bench is improving so hopefully it will keep moving this way.

Associate
OP
13/01/17 - Friday - Light Deadlifts

Lighter deadlift day allowed me to focus on the movement and the execution. I started to sit back a bit more and I could really notice it in the hamstrings and glutes more. Maybe I'm onto something.

Sumo Deadlift

60kg x 5
80kg x 3
100kg x 3
105kg x 3x12

Sat into it more and it felt better. Mobility is definitely improving so that has a lot to do with it, but I was getting pretty gassed towards the end of each set.

Deficit Deadlifts (~2")

100kg(S) x 3x12

Hands were extremely sore so I put straps on, and even with them on my hands still hurt.

Wide Grip Rows

45kg x 4x12

+5kg since last week and an extra 2 reps per set. Going to up it to 50kg next session.

Back Extensions

BW x 3x12

First time doing these in a long time so did them with just my own bodyweight. Could/should have used additional weight.

Good session and it's allowed me to work on my form and technique. Think I might keep my numbers where they are for this week and see how I'm feeling in the next session or the one after that as I'll be going for some form of rep pb.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
14/01/17 - Saturday - Light Squats

Light Squats today and for the most part they were ok but not much else. In the early sets I thought I wasn't using my hips enough, so in the 4th set I over compensated and it actually caused me to slightly cut depth. Nothing outrageously high but still something I'd prefer to avoid. I also deadlifted last night so thins were a little tight. Should be fine by the next time I squat.

High Bar Squat

Bar x lots x lots
40kg x 8
60kg x 6
70kg x 4 - All warmups felt really good
80kg x 4x12

Not tbh, but the depth thing realllllllly bugged me. Something to work on for next time.

Leg Press

40kg x 10
80kg x 10
120kg x 3x12

I was feeling pretty demotivated after the squats and tbh, I just couldn't be bothered to really push myself on the leg press or do anything else.

Originally I was rather bummed out about this session but looking back it really wasn't that bad and I'm just being grumpy. Bench tomorrow.

Associate
OP
17/01/17 - Tuesday - Medium Bench

Bench felt surprisingly good today considering the work load and the lack of sleep last night.

Medium Grip Bench

Bar x lots x lots
40kg x 8
50kg x 6
60kg x 4
65kg x 4x10

+1 set from last time so I'm happy with that, and it felt better than last time too.

Close Grip Bench

57.5kg x 3x10

Fatigue sucks but at least I managed all the reps this time.

Low to High Cable Chest Fly

15kg x 3x12

Cable Row

50kg x 4x12

Face Pulls

20kg x 12
25kg x 2x12

Decent session, rather happy with how things went. +2.5kg onto medium bench grip training max.

Associate
OP
20/01/17 - Friday - Heavy Bench, Medium Squats, Medium Deadlifts

Broke my training up into AM and PM. Sleep and nutrition has been terrible past few days and sure enough that has reflected in training tonight. Hopefully once everything improves there will be clear improvements to my lifts.

A.M.

Wide Grip Bench

Bar x lots x lots
40kg x 8
50kg x 6
60kg x 4
70kg x 3
75kg x 3x6

Not feeling confident enough for sets of 8's today but it'll do for now.

Slingshot Bench

82.5kg x 3x8

Really pleased to get the 8 reps.

Incline DB Bench

20kg x 3x12

+2.5kg from last time and more reps. More than likely sticking with this weight when moving into the last part of the cycle.

DB OHP

15kg x 12,12, 11.9999999

Should have kept with 12.5kg and will use that for sets of 15 next time.

Left out back accessories since I planned to deadlift later in the day.

P.M.

High Bar Squat

Bar x lots x lots
40kg x 8
60kg x 6
77.5kg x 4
85kg x 3x10

Supposed to do 4 sets, completely forgot about the last set. Will do it tomorrow.

Sumo Deadlift

Bar x lots
60kg x 5
80kg x 3
100kg x 3
112.5kg x 3x10

It went up but positioning wasn't great. Had to use straps on last set because my hands seem to be incredibly soft.

Deficit Deadlift (~2")

107.5kg(S) x 3x10

Harder than I would have liked.

Little bit in between about that second session but it's just one of those days.

High bar squats, front squats, leg and back accessories tomorrow just to finish up what I missed today. Bench on Sunday, more squats on Monday. Tad hectic right now.

Associate
OP
23/01/17 - Monday - Heavy Squats

Heavy squats just weren't that heavy and I'm happy about that so I've increase my training max accordingly. The next session looks a tad worse now though.

High Bar Squat

Bar x lots x lots
40kg x 8
60kg x 6
80kg x 4
90kg x 3x8

The odd rep here and there didn't feel 100% but I'm not concerned in the slightest.

Paused High Bar Squats for eternity

80kg x 3x8

Should have done 85kg but there's always next time.

Stiff Leg Deadlift

60kg(S) x 8
80kg(S) x 5
100kg(S) x 3
105kg(S) x 3x12

Left it there. I was coaching as well so the session dragged out forever so I didn't have time to lunge.

Happy with that session and I've increased the training max for the next few sessions. That means an increase in weight and volume... fantastic.

Associate
OP
24/01/17 - Tuesday - Light Bench

Light bench session today that actually felt really good for a change. Managed all my reps at the highest % and added 5kg onto my incline bench too...

Medium Grip Bench

Bar x lots x lots
40kg x 8
50kg x 6
57.5kg x 4
62.5kg x 4x12

Way better than I had expected.

Incline Bench Press

55kg x 3x12

Miles easier than I expected. Maybe gains?

Lat Pulldown

50kg x 4x12

+5kg from last time and increased the reps, happy with that.

Cable Lateral Raises

10kg x 3x12

A little bit more clunking than I would have liked but easy enough to sort by improving mobility.

Tricep Pushdowns

20kg x 12
22.5kg x 3x12

Seemed much lighter than I expected so ended up doing them with controlled eccentrics.

Good session, maybe bench is starting to improve?

Associate
OP
25/01/17 - Wednesday - Heavy Deadlifts

I was curious as to how today would go, or even what reps and %'s to aim for and I ended up with a pb andstill managed some volume work after.

Sumo Deadlift

60kg x 5 (conventional)
60kg x 5
80kg x 3
100kg x 3
120kg x 2
130kg(B) x 1
140kg(B) x 6
120kg(S) x 2x8

Not an all time rep/weight pb but it's pushing up the training max by 7.5kg for the next cycle.

Deficit Deadlift (~2")

115kg(S) x 3x8

Feeling much better than last week which is always good.

Wide Grip BOR

50kg x 4x12

Fatigue was so strong when I first started and then as it started to fade the later sets got better.

Really happy with that session. Deload half way through next week and I'm actually quite looking forward to it if I'm honest.

Back
Top Bottom