• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

FINALLY A DEAL ON GPU'S - IT HAS BEEN TOO LONG (NVIDIA 3060 & 3060Ti) !!

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
only fools think cash in the bank is nice to have.

I can only think that discussing the topic in particular after viewing the responses time and time again is akin to the flat earther/anti-vaxxer. You cannot debate the science - once their mind has been cemented its just becomes a tribal nonsense. On this particular forum it has a sentiment of it belongs to the gaming crowd (even though GPU is not under the gaming section its under hardware). The change in attitude I have seen however is the gamer has dabbled in some mining and once dipped the toe, some seem to have embraced it. When you have money talking it commands more attention.

Soldato
This is what makes me laugh at the pro FIAT brigade. You act like you a) cant get scammed by fiat methods (bank fraud, phishing, remote desktop - think indian call centres) b) no nefarious activities like drug dealing use fiat..

Complete wet paper bag arguments.

The answer is you have victims by the hour on any monetary system. Only way to beat it is education. The reason credit cards 'protect' you is because of all the plankton customers paying for the cover through the extortionate interest/charges! :cry::cry:

We are all pro-FIAT. Do you cash coins into FIAT currency, or hold forever?

If you're cashing into currency, you're pro-FIAT.

I agree that anyone can be scammed on any trade though. Fraud is not exclusive to real currency. People even get swindled trading pokemon cards.

Soldato
I agree that anyone can be scammed on any trade though. Fraud is not exclusive to real currency. People even get swindled trading pokemon cards.

Exactly so using it as a scapegoat for crime and laundering money is a false narrative.

Pro-FIAT in my context was countering the usual suspects that retort how mining/crypto is bad and regular banking is good. We all know that some form of adoption is already taking place which is because the old system is printing money out of thin air and devaluing the currency you are using.

The same people can also refer to stocks and metals as other forms of investment. Many people spread out their wealth. The traditional savings account is pretty much dead at this moment in time.

Soldato
Exactly so using it as a scapegoat for crime and laundering money is a false narrative.

Pro-FIAT in my context was countering the usual suspects that retort how mining/crypto is bad and regular banking is good. We all know that some form of adoption is already taking place which is because the old system is printing money out of thin air and devaluing the currency you are using.

The same people can also refer to stocks and metals as other forms of investment. Many people spread out their wealth. The traditional savings account is pretty much dead at this moment in time.

I don't agree. Far more people save cash in a bank account than use crypto. Do you have a savings/ rainy day account? Or is everything crypto? I'll be surprised if you don't.

Crypto is more vulnerable to fraud, because people aren't as aware of the pitfalls, and there is less recourse if you do get scammed/ outright robbed. To be fair, people get scammed out of real cash every day of the week. I am not saying it's more or less risky, as I genuinely don't know- and I suspect no-one else does...

I'm not having a go at miners/ crypto/ traders, just trying to give a balanced view.

Caporegime
I don't agree. Far more people save cash in a bank account than use crypto. Do you have a savings/ rainy day account? Or is everything crypto? I'll be surprised if you don't.

Crypto is more vulnerable to fraud, because people aren't as aware of the pitfalls, and there is less recourse if you do get scammed/ outright robbed. To be fair, people get scammed out of real cash every day of the week. I am not saying it's more or less risky, as I genuinely don't know- and I suspect no-one else does...

I'm not having a go at miners/ crypto/ traders, just trying to give a balanced view.

Having lots of crypto is generally a lot riskier than having lots of money in the bank due to the financial compensation scheme we have and various fraud insurances that banks and credit cards have.

If where you are holding your crypto goes bust or you get scammed or hacked etc then you are completely ***** with no recourse.

That's why it isn't isn't everyone. You can be left with nothing and no one would help you, and I totally understand that why risk averse people would prefer not to be involved.

I dabble in it, but not in massive amounts, for that reason.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Having lots of crypto is generally a lot riskier than having lots of money in the bank due to the financial compensation scheme we have and various fraud insurances that banks and credit cards have.

If where you are holding your crypto goes bust or you get scammed or hacked etc then you are completely ***** with no recourse.

That's why it isn't isn't everyone. You can be left with nothing and no one would help you, and I totally understand that why risk averse people would prefer not to be involved.

I dabble in it, but not in massive amounts, for that reason.

Anyone with a brain doesn't hold crypto on an exchange unless they are a day trader.

Cold wallet.

Holding it on an exchange is as same as someone stuffing cash under their mattress.

Soldato
You are assuming many things @potatolord . All I mentioned is blaming crypto for being evil is short-sighted and largely driven by the wealthy people with the most to lose as they have all their eggs in the fiat basket.

Regarding the savings account, its simple. Store your £1000 for a rainy day in NatWest and each year get maybe a tenner for your loyalty... Or you could have bought something like Bitcoin, then after two years see its gone from £1000 to £3400. I know which one will be the better one for a retirement nest egg. As its plastered everywhere and mentioned by anyone in crypto worth their salt DYOR! People aren't going to hold your hand on this one, if your waiting for it to be ultra secure with no risk then by that time there will be no money to be had as the fiat whales will have bought it all and regulation will have crippled it.

Caporegime
Anyone with a brain doesn't hold crypto on an exchange unless they are a day trader.

Cold wallet.

Holding it on an exchange is as same as someone stuffing cash under their mattress.

Cold wallet.

Agreed, if you are just holding and not trading.

However even that has shown issues what with forgotten/thrown away hardware and forgotten keys etc.

Even if you hold it on a cold wallet, you still don't have the protections that you do with holding fitting a proper uk bank.

Basically with crypto you are on your own, whatever happens.

Man of Honour
I salute them then, anything that impedes maybe damages the mainstream long term is quite easily bad for all of us in reducing the breadth of the market; then maybe some games dont get the sales figures, arent worth developing fully for PC, etc. The more normal users and players get the 3 series, the more Ray tracing in games Im going to see. Would be shame for it to fizzle out for years as its been a long time coming

It would have an effect on consoles too, since consoles are built with gaming PC hardware. If new gaming PC hardware was only needed once every ~5 years when a new generation of consoles was released, development would have course slow down. If companies only got one shot per console at selling any gaming hardware (a console manufacturer isn't going to change hardware for the same console, e.g. Sony aren't going to switch to nvidia GPUs for the PS5 at any point) then being in the gaming hardware business at all would be an unreliable business that could come crashing down for any company whenever the next generation of consoles was released. Competition would be reduced even more, reducing development even more. It would make sense for there to be only one manufacturer of console hardware. Why bet a large proportion of your company on being able to win a contract for hardware of each generation of consoles?

Soldato
Yeeeaaaaahhh, I'm off for two weeks now. So if you could just bring your GPU arrival dates in-line with my personal life...

That'd be great.

Associate
Yeeeaaaaahhh, I'm off for two weeks now. So if you could just bring your GPU arrival dates in-line with my personal life...

That'd be great.

:cry:

I'm building my new PC tomorrow so an imminent arrival would be most welcome here too! Everything else is sitting right there --->

Soldato
only fools think cash in the bank is nice to have.

(Blatant diversion alert!)

You are very much mistaken. It just depends how much cash and how much of your portfolio it is. You've got to look at the larger picture. For someone worth £10M, £100K in cash is 1% - very much working capital. For someone dependent upon investment income (shares, property, etc) then a large float (say equal to their annual expenditure) allows them to survive times of low income without selling capital.

Some cash is good; having £millions in cash permanently is not so good.

Back
Top Bottom