Finally a retina MacBook Air replacement on the way?

Soldato
MacBook around the (obsolete) Air price point = yes.

New Air = no. They dropped the 11" one and they'll drop the 13" one eventually. No point making a new one when the regular MB's are lighter, thinner, have a better display and have gotten rid of ports Apple deem legacy and aren't going to bring back.

Soldato
OP
I think I'd still go for that - an effective merging of the two with a larger screen as a result. I'm still really frustrated by Apple's drive to remove all ports and consolidate with USB-C. I use my SD port constantly on my MacBook Pro, and the lack of one on the replacement model was a key factor in deciding not to upgrade. I can't see them doing anything differently for any new model though.

Man of Honour
Please bring back the old keyboard. I hate the current one and it breaks too easily when it sees a bit of dust. Bring back the old keyboard and I can put a new Macbook on my possible list of next laptops. Until then... no.

Soldato
Please bring back the old keyboard. I hate the current one and it breaks too easily when it sees a bit of dust. Bring back the old keyboard and I can put a new Macbook on my possible list of next laptops. Until then... no.

They just filed a patent for a dust/crumb proof keyboard/keys as it goes, although it's based around the current design.

Soldato
I've always had a soft spot for the air. IMHO still the best looking laptop on the market.

I'd seriously consider a new air with retina screen....so long as it is an air with a retina screen.

Commissario
How is this going to work? Isn't the Air more powerful than the MacBook but with a lower spec screen and therefore cheaper? If the screen is upgraded, doesn't it just become a more powerful MacBook with a bigger screen and the price goes up?

What am I missing?

Soldato
OP
I imagine it will be slightly higher spec CPUs, incrementally improving on the MacBook, in a MacBook Air chassis with a retina screen at a price point below the MacBook Pro. THat's my utopia anyway!

Commissario
But that article linked suggests a price of $799 or $899. That's well below MacBook prices but with a retina screen and a higher spec than the MacBook, it should be higher priced.

Which is why I'm confused, it doesn't make sense.

Soldato
It doesn't. The most realistic scenario is that they simply cut the price of the existing Air to keep it on it's last legs a little longer. The non Touch-Bar MBP is already essentially the 'new Air', it just doesn't need the moniker because like when they dropped the name from the iPad line-up, it's got to the point where everything is thin/light.

Back
Top Bottom