Finally the Jeremy Kyle show has been axed, 14 years too late.

Caporegime
Finally ITV have axed the despicable show that we all know and loathe in equal measures. The Jeremy Kyle show has been axed due to one of their recent guest committing suicide after a failed lie detector test.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-48279613

What say you good people of GD?? Is this a good thing or a bad thing?? Moreover what are the poor chavs going to do now with their free afternoons??

Discuss.

Soldato
I'm kind of indifferent to it.

On one hand it's a way of the more socially acceptable laughing at the dross of society. On the other hand i'm sure the team do probably do some good for the creatures on it.

I'm sure the guy had issues and i think it's a shame for one show to be villified for someone killing themselves.

Soldato
I think it's bad, people made the adult decision to go on there, clearly people enjoyed the show as it was on for so long; whilst I don't personally watch it I don't agree with things being cancelled because of what is now twitter outrage culture.

Caporegime
About time.

My wife actually likes watching this believe it or not, usually only when she's unwell but even so. Most people on it are the dregs of society though. Anyone who thinks migrants are the issue in this country needs to watch a couple of episodes of Jeremy Kyle...

Second point. I understand the bullying/unreliable lie-detector results = suicide narrative, but it's strange that the media have been so focused on this and not for instance, suicide in ex military personnel as highlighted recently by SAS: Who dares wins.

Associate
About time.

My wife actually likes watching this believe it or not, usually only when she's unwell but even so. Most people on it are the dregs of society though. Anyone who thinks migrants are the issue in this country needs to watch a couple of episodes of Jeremy Kyle...

Second point. I understand the bullying/unreliable lie-detector results = suicide narrative, but it's strange that the media have been so focused on this and not for instance, suicide in ex military personnel as highlighted recently by SAS: Who dares wins.

Just to add to your second point as well, two ex contestants from Love Island committed suicide and yet that is still going ahead as planned.

Man of Honour
Wait, so this guy fails a lie detector test for cheating, gets dumped and then kills himself and its JK's fault? or have I gotten that completely wrong?

Massively hypocritical if Love Island still goes ahead (which it will). That said, I don't see why the suicides have anything to do with Love Island either. If I commit suicide after I leave my job I don't see why it would have any bearing on said employer, especially 2 years later.

Caporegime
Just to add to your second point as well, two ex contestants from Love Island committed suicide and yet that is still going ahead as planned.

I do see the distinction there - People apply to go on Love Island and the suicide/depression seems to be as result of the celebrity lifestyle (one minute you are popular, the next minute you are a nobody) and not because of how producers/hosts treat you.

Man of Honour
I'm surprised it lasted this long. It's pretty crass and basically just baiting people who aren't very bright.

You think that, I think that, I’d imagine that a whole slew of people think as we do, but it’s patently obvious that there were gazillions of people to whom it was cat nip.
I only ever saw 10-15 second flashes of it, and Jerry Springer, as I was channel surfing, the audience reminded me of what the plebeians must have looked like if the Coliseum had TV, slack jawed, drooling, jeering at the poor slobs on camera.
As long as there are cretins who want to watch other cretins, shows like these will persist.

Man of Honour
One of my colleagues will be devastated - he seems to pretty much live purely to watch that and the football.

Soldato
I'm surprised it lasted this long. It's pretty crass and basically just baiting people who aren't very bright.

I'm actually a bit gutted it has gone. I don't get to watch it often as I work (unlike most of the guests) but on the days when I am sick from work it was a godsend. Was like a TV Medicine that made me think "Sure, you're ill but you're not on here like these cretins" made me feel better about myself.

If you're not from Bristol this wont make sense but to me TJKS was like my own private version of Knowle West and East Street in Bedminster all rolled into one. Saw everyone who was doing worse than me and it made me feel better.

Soldato
b463d5d4-e220-47aa-900d-2d23ac030f72.jpg

Back
Top Bottom