Finally. The RGB Sound Card Everyone Was Asking For

Soldato
Creative's Sound Blaster X AE-5. The colours will make everything sound more vivid and lifelike!

Official Creative product page.

Specs;

• Audio/DSP processor : Sound Core3D
• Channels : 5.1 discrete speaker out, 7.1 virtual headphone surround
• Interface : PCIe
• DAC : ESS ES9016K2M SABRE32 Ultra DAC
o Max playback resolution : 32-bit/384kHz
o DNR : 122 dB
o THD + N : 0.00032%​
• ADC : Sound Core3D
o Max recording resolution : 24-bit/96kHz​
• Headphone amp (600 Ω) : Custom-designed discrete headphone amp (Xamp)
o SNR : 116 dB
o THD + N : 0.0009%
o Output impedance : 1 Ω
o Headphone impedance range : 16 - 600 Ω​
• Connectivity
3 x 3.5mm line out (front, rear, center/sub)
1 x TOSLINK optical out
1 x 3.5mm headphone out
1 x 3.5mm microphone/line in
1 x Intel HD audio front panel
But most importantly..........it's RGB

Soldato
eeeeeeeew powered by molex?
Both PCI-e power cables can be reserved by graphics card.

And there's nothing really needing power in device not meant to drive speakers.
(heck, once sound cards powered those small passive speakers with power from ISA slot)
Even whole extra power connector is unneeded.
In power up power draw limit for PCI-e x1 card is 10W and after that 25W.

But Asus invented that extra power BS and Creative had to follow.

Just like ESS Sabre being clearly now that correct name in "audiophile" psychopathy circles.

Soldato
1 year warranty? lol expect better on a £100 + soundcard
While sure containing bling bling extra at least overal it has components/performance for that price class.

For comparison still lot more expensive Sennheiser GSX uses cheap basic level Conexant DAC/output buffer chip meant for phones/tablets and which is at level of Audigy Fx...
And that card can be bought for 30€!

Soldato
Someone asked if it was better then the Asus Essence ST, someone else mentioned about quality DAC's and what you pay for.

I don't own this new Creative card, however I do own the Soundblaster Titanium HD card, and also 2 Asus Essence ST PCI cards.

All the following i'm going to say is in relation to 2.0 stereo sound, so music and film playback, not games or any special features such as Dolby surround, i'm talking about plane old 2.0 sound.

Firstly the Titanium HD and Asus Essence ST cards are really high end for consumer sound cards, especially the Asus Essence ST card it's really honest and true to it's source, I actually think the Essence ST is better then than the X-Fi HD.

However and here's the real dirty truth. I have some old Pioneer DAC amps that date back to 1991, they only go to 24 bit/48Hz. For just listening to stereo music these old Pioneer DAC/Amps give a better sound then either of the sound cards mentioned above. Those cards might have superior specs on paper, but whats better to my ears is the old Pionneer DAC/Amps.

Soldato
For me, the Creative X-fi Titanium beats the Creative Z series hands down. I speak from personal experience.

If this soundcard has the Creative Z chipset and software, it certainly won't appeal to me even slightly.

Associate
Do we really need dedicated sound cards anymore? Had an X-Fi Elite Pro way back but haven't bothered with them since then. From what I've read the S1220 is all I really need.

Also does this card have any Dolby Atmos or DTS-X output?

Soldato
These are great for no hassle cards. Whilst they are unlikely to be better than a dedicated DAC, these will work well for most people that just don't want the fuss of extra equipment.

Back
Top Bottom