Finally time to upgrade from 2500k/970 combo..

Sui

Sui

Soldato
Hi all,

Sort of keeping this as a place for ideas as I'm looking to get it all together and order hopefully within the next couple of weeks. I'm looking to spend around the £1300 mark but I'm really struggling between the new Ryzens and the 9700k, I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the reviews and numbers being flung around tbh.

Mainly I use the rig for gaming and watching things, I might stream a bit in the future but I'm not 100% sure. I have a 144hz 1440p 27" G-Sync monitor which is the reason I'm sticking with Nvidia.

As far as I'm aware, I need:

CPU
Mobo
RAM
Graphics Card - Thinking the Asus 2070S @ £475.
Case (I have provisionally bought a Corsair 570X for delivery in a week so I have time to cancel, was a limited time deal (£90)).
Fans?
I'll be reusing my current storage and PSU (SuperFlower Leadex GOLD 750W Fully Modular "80 Plus Gold" bought in 2015).

In real world use, is there going to be much difference in power usage between a 9700K and the 3700/3800X? If one is going to be much cheaper to run then it might factor into the equation.

Soldato
@Sui

bare in mind this is using 2080ti

like for like excluding coolers. Rzens stock should be fine but louder and hotter then aftermarket one

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £552.39 (includes shipping: £10.50)

ryzen - used ram as a place holder for 3600hz ram direct from corsair as same price

BB CODE
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £603.47 (includes shipping: £10.50)

lot using MSI B450 boards. Few members found them to do well and have manually worked them with good ram and cpu overclocks , but seems reddit throws up a lot issues.

B450 is cheaper ! only short fall is BIOS chip size and bios updates will be a lot slower with x570 and B550 taking priority

what's your current spec's ? for gaming might find ryzen 3600 is good enough for you saving a good amount of cash ! could be used towards RTX 2080 SUPER !

Last edited:

Sui

Sui

Soldato
OP
what's your current spec's ? for gaming might find ryzen 3600 is good enough for you saving a good amount of cash ! could be used towards RTX 2080 SUPER !

Currently 2500k(not overclocked, I know but my motherboard isn't suitable, I think)/GTX 970/16gb 1600Mhz DDR3 so anything is going to be a big improvement I imagine.

I'd like to future proof to some extent as well so I don't mind paying a bit more for the higher iterations of the AMD processors, unless it's completely pointless. I think now the 3800X has started shipping I'll see what the reviews say in a few days. I am leaning towards the 9700K more and more though, really need to analyse the 1440p benchmarks!

Decisions are too difficult for me :D

Soldato
Currently 2500k(not overclocked, I know but my motherboard isn't suitable, I think)/GTX 970/16gb 1600Mhz DDR3 so anything is going to be a big improvement I imagine.

I'd like to future proof to some extent as well so I don't mind paying a bit more for the higher iterations of the AMD processors, unless it's completely pointless. I think now the 3800X has started shipping I'll see what the reviews say in a few days. I am leaning towards the 9700K more and more though, really need to analyse the 1440p benchmarks!

Decisions are too difficult for me :D

9700k and 3700x would be a nice jump, specially games like BFV !

Would go with 3700x to save some cash and just manually overclock if needs be .

Pushing 2070 super will see a HUGE step in performance for yourself !

Sui

Sui

Soldato
OP
9700k and 3700x would be a nice jump, specially games like BFV !

Would go with 3700x to save some cash and just manually overclock if needs be .

Pushing 2070 super will see a HUGE step in performance for yourself !

Think I've decided I'll be going 3700X and a x470 board (possibly b450, is there much difference?) as I won't see any benefit from the x570 so might as well save a bit of cash here. Are there any notable boards that are a 'must buy' in these chipsets?

Could you possibly also explain the memory? I had a look at the sticky in the Memory section but it's a bit old now! :D Is 3600Mhz C18 better than the 3200Mhz C16 kits? They're the same price as far as I can tell but I was under the impression C16 was better than C18? I'm possibly way out with this though.

I'm not in a massive rush to order as I've only just pre-ordered the Asus 2070 Super which I'll wait for before anything gets built.

Sui

Sui

Soldato
OP
Anyone able to help with my questions in the post above? :)

I tried looking at some review websites for motherboards but I'm yet to find one that has a decent search/filter! :D

Soldato

I tried looking at some review websites for motherboards but I'm yet to find one that has a decent search/filter! :D

If you go B450 the MSI Tomahawk is good but look out for the MAX edition. This is a refreshed version with a, bigger BIOS chip and will work with Ryzen 3000 out of the box. For X570 Gigabyte have a solid range of boards and UK RMA is a bonus. If just gaming a 3600 looks ideal and leaves an upgrade path later if you need it.

Soldato

B450 MSI is a very popular board, though many finding problems , Reddit lists these out . Would save a good £100 and use with 3000hz ram and should be good

Soldato
B450 MSI is a very popular board, though many finding problems , Reddit lists these out . Would save a good £100 and use with 3000hz ram and should be good

Just to add to that Ballistix Sport 3000 or 3200MHz(on sale atm) Micron e die performs well. I have some on the way to test.

Back
Top Bottom