Finishing apprenticeship & Progression/Leaving (Engineering)

Soldato
Hi all, just after some advice and maybe someone in a similar situation to me with some knowledge would be able to answer my query.

I'm currently coming to the end of an Engineering apprenticeship, I'll be glorified Electrical fitter, within the defence sector. Have finished my BTEC Level 3 and NVQ3 as well as having some other electrical quals, I'll also receive deeds (Indentures) which are quite sought after in the engineering field apparently.

However, even though I like the job to a certain degree, I dislike living away from friends and family, so I'd ideally like to look for another job nearer home. The problem now is I really want to do a HNC and have the option to get it funded but with a 2 year payback scheme (4 extra years working away) with my current employer.

The plan was to complete and come home but I've had a few people tell me I should do my HNC while I can as I may regret this a few years down the line.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation? Would a HNC really help that much? or am I perfectly fine with what I have and would it be relatively easy to find a similar job back home.

Cheers

Soldato
Has anyone else been in a similar situation? Would a HNC really help that much? or am I perfectly fine with what I have and would it be relatively easy to find a similar job back home.
You'd find a job, sure.
But do you want a job as an electrical fitter, or do you want to work in Engineering? If the latter, get your HNC.

I work in Engineering but can no longer get the time or the money to do my HND or FD, unless I want to seriously compromise my life.
If you want/need it, do it while you can.

Soldato
Are you working at Messybeast? They were far and away the best places at which I worked. I do agree that you should further your education - might a degree be an option?

Whatever you do, do not lose your security clearance.

Soldato
OP
You'd find a job, sure.
But do you want a job as an electrical fitter, or do you want to work in Engineering? If the latter, get your HNC.

I work in Engineering but can no longer get the time or the money to do my HND or FD, unless I want to seriously compromise my life.
If you want/need it, do it while you can.

I'd like to do a HND, but I find it difficult studying whilst living in Digs, so I think a HNC would be my limit at the moment.
Are you working at Messybeast? They were far and away the best places at which I worked. I do agree that you should further your education - might a degree be an option?

Whatever you do, do not lose your security clearance.

Degree wouldn't be an option unfortunately as there's no business need for one as we do spec repair and overhaul/upgrades to land vehicles.

I could possibly squeeze out a HND, but I'd be more comfortable doing a HNC, even though there's not really any engineering need for it currently.

I'd like to stay here the least amount of time so a HNC would be the max I'd be looking to get, I would die doing a degree and working haha!

Soldato
If you go for the HNC, get one that counts towards a HND and then towards an Associateship or Graduateship.

You are young. It gets progressively harder to learn, so study now while it's easier. And don't forget that there's the Open University.

Associate
I would do the HNC and if you can the HND. As others have said your young and is you get older and life gets in the way the harder it is to study/gain qualifications. It will also help later in life and will get your foot in the door for future interviews. In the past myself, plus few friends have applied for the same job two us have HNC/HND and the other only have ONC's or equivalent. The two of us with the higher qualifications got interviews and others didn't.

Soldato
OP
Also I am 28 so not young, but the more I think about it I did enjoy studying so I'm going to enquire and see if I can still get on this year's course.

Cheers all

Soldato
OP
Just thought I'd thank you all for the advice, I brought up further education in my last Apprentice steering group with our head of site and I've managed to secure funding once I put together a business case with my head of site sponsoring me.

Much appreciated all :)!

Back
Top Bottom