Fire risks prompt tumble dryer recall - Now washing machines as well!

Permabanned
Now ours started making a horrible squealing noise which turned out to be the spindle burned its way through the main bearing, so now I've got to hunt around for a new one for a machine that may get binned in a few weeks.

The bearing will be replaced when the modification is carried out.

Soldato
We've had the £99 replacement for a month or so now and touch wood its been okay. We only ended up paying £80 after a whinge on facebook about the repair bill for our old one only a year ago. For £80 if it last's 2-3 years then I can live with that. One thing is for certain is I will never buy a Hotpoint product again, I will stick to Bosch in future.

Permabanned
We've had the £99 replacement for a month or so now and touch wood its been okay. We only ended up paying £80 after a whinge on facebook about the repair bill for our old one only a year ago. For £80 if it last's 2-3 years then I can live with that. One thing is for certain is I will never buy a Hotpoint product again. I will stick to Bosch in future.

Not like Bosch have ever had to recall hundreds of thousands potential fatal appliances is it.

Soldato
Bosch aren't the quality they once were though. Difficult to know who to choose these days, or just see everything as a disposable product that lasts as long as the guarantee, and doesn't try to kill you in the meantime.

Man of Honour
Bosch aren't the quality they once were though. Difficult to know who to choose these days, or just see everything as a disposable product that lasts as long as the guarantee, and doesn't try to kill you in the meantime.

You ask the people who repair these products day in and day out like Oldcoals.
Of course there is always a chance he could suggest something and it turns out to be a pig in a poke but usually what he suggests should be good.

Soldato
I think he recommends the cheap stuff like White Knight, which says a lot about the state of the more expensive stuff, who are probably surviving on their brand names...

Soldato
For washing machines he recommends lg direct drive machines.
For tumbler driers he recommends white knight.
Why pay lots when all it does is slow cook the clothes.
Consistently :)

-edit, should ay i have neither, both bosch devices in my home, as is a fridgefreezer, and a dishwasher
Next washing machine will probably be a direct drive, but hopefully not for a number of years

Associate
The bearing will be replaced when the modification is carried out.

Yeah but that won't be for a while and it's unuseable at the moment. A local shop has got a spare for a tenner so I'll get it at lunchtime.

I think I found out where most of the internal fluff was escaping from when I stripped the whole front off the machine (thinking that's where the squealing was coming from), the felt strip around the outside of the drum front seal had completely detached for about a third of the circumference and was hanging out, so there was a sizeable gap there, I've glued it back on again.

Associate
Having reported ours at Christmas I finally got an email last week regarding expected repair, approx. July :eek:
I opted for the £59 replacement vented dryer, came within 4 days and has 12 months warranty. Faulty one was on the way out anyway, I'd already replaced the rear bearing and the creaking meant the front carriers were now gone too.
Nobody checked the machine that went back, driver just dropped off the replacement and took the old one away.

Soldato
Thinking about going with the condenser model even though i'm not the biggest fan of them. Hope it's alright. Just need to wait for it to come in stock again.

The vented model changes from a 7kg to 8kg sensor model and vice versa if i check at different times...

Last edited:
Soldato
Seems to be a different model that has now come in stock. It used to be the one that James posted on the previous page for me but was out of stock but now come in stock with the model number below.

TDWSF83BEZ

Last edited:
Associate
Yep i'm also getting offered that model, another unheard of model with no online presence. Why cant they just offer a standard model that has reviews and easy to come by parts.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
^^ they come with a years warranty anyway. I'm sure there will be online spares presence by the time it expires :)

Man of Honour
A bit of a coincidence but this evening I was asked to upload a video of the now closed Creda/Hotpoint/Indesit factory to You Tube, I did it before a few years ago but this is the full version.

83 views already :eek:

Soldato
I just logged on again to check my repair time. It said March before. Now it says:

"Due to high demand it is currently estimated that we will be able to complete the modifications to your tumble dryer in January"

Umm, so is that January 2017!?!?

I note now the cheap replacement option has reduced down from appliances over 2 years old to over 1 year.

I'm still in two minds as I have separate issues with this machine which I am about to look at resolving by taking the retailer through small claims as they have refused a replacement under the SOGA despite two failed repairs to the sensor drying system, trying again to fob me off with a further repair visit. Part of me is saying go that way, but now the replacement option is there for the £99 TDWSF83BEZ, although this looks awful in comparison to the Aqualtis which we have now.

Principle is telling me go down the claim against Curry's.

Back
Top Bottom