Fire Thread! - Stoves, Wood, Axes, Chainsaws

Associate
Anyone else knocking a big hole in log stores - Some of this hardwood is good - never had fire up to 400F before

I've got through about 1m³ in the last month along with about 50kg of coal and anthracite, it is my primary heat source though.

200c isn't that hot for a stove, your flue should be over 250c regularly anyway.

Soldato
Another transit tipper load of wet wood - This is for next year.

Emptied two log stors so they needed filling again - I filled one store with logs that would go on my fire and the stuff in garage is what was left after splitting. Getting to old for this game.
Sun was shining on my phone so just pointed it at logs and hoped for the best - I have a lot of gravel.

oly0Mohl.jpg

N0R5KIJ.jpg

Associate
Been splitting the wood pile that I neglected last year and stacking it. These are big chunks at 500mm, it's like a workout lifting these numerous times.

y4mksZby3455R2F66-CkfSz8Qo43TzDeDhMMjabrpEJEs5J-lP4rLQH7fwXtWF28RAgUmrLOHKwaUorCcSd8Vk0qJyHqmpYNByhdbDXFYOHfmkfnbeoOtV0Ehnp3yO-WsC-_ZmRlPQddGWie9k3vGMVL-cARrLgsJco02O2XkeUwyo

I'm going to try something different with the wood stacking on the blue pallets. I've arranged the pallets square-ish to build a round wood pile or 'Holz Hausen' as some call it.

Soldato
Another transit tipper load of wet wood - This is for next year.

Emptied two log stors so they needed filling again - I filled one store with logs that would go on my fire and the stuff in garage is what was left after splitting. Getting to old for this game.
Sun was shining on my phone so just pointed it at logs and hoped for the best - I have a lot of gravel.

I've got an empty store to fill - where you are buying unseasoned from DXP? LogALog (Newport) are quoting £155 for 2 cubic metres on their website.

I'd be quite happy to cut and split some bigger trunks/logs but finding somebody to deliver them is the problem.

Soldato
Chris

I had them from Ridge Fuels in Shrewsbury https://www.ridgefuels.co.uk/ £180 full load -also make sure if you ring you want a full load like it shows on website

There is also Bill in Prees who does approx 2 c/m for £90 He normally sells at end of year but I see he is still in Venture. 07718655998 - he delivers in Prees free so don't know if he charges outside that.

Good wood in Prees is good stuff as it's cut to your size and stacked for ages till dried -it is expensive at £110 a cage -about as big as large builders bag.

Soldato
Just had a top up load - this should replace the hole in log stores
Might as well fill them now as wait for next winter.
First load I have had where I can just stack them in log store - No splitting.

oGETw4Dl.png.jpg

Soldato
Well that was a big under estimation - This log store is way bigger than it looks - Just had another load of same amount which I hope will fill it.
So now got oil tank and log stores filled to brim. :)

Soldato
Bump! As winter is coming :p

Just placed an early order given fuel prices rising again - seems to have gone up ~10%

Tipper load of softwood £135 - hardwood £170

Ordered two loads of hard. Will have to cobble another store together as it will fill all three stores and then some ...

Soldato
I am at that stage in life where I need someone to come and sweep my chimney. I used to get on roof and rod down the chimney but can't balance anymore.

How do your chimney sweeps sweep your SS liner - mine is 6". Do they use those thin rods and use a drill to spin them with a bit on end like a strimmer- I was going to buy them but the faff of blanking off and making it dust proof I can't face it.

How long does it take and approx how much - is there any mess.

Soldato
I am at that stage in life where I need someone to come and sweep my chimney. I used to get on roof and rod down the chimney but can't balance anymore.

How do your chimney sweeps sweep your SS liner - mine is 6". Do they use those thin rods and use a drill to spin them with a bit on end like a strimmer- I was going to buy them but the faff of blanking off and making it dust proof I can't face it.

How long does it take and approx how much - is there any mess.
I had my liner swept last year, and he used a drill and rods.
Was £45 and took about half hour with zero mess.

Soldato
I'm ashamed to say we've never had any of ours swept ....

From others I know who do apparently really clean after they blanket / tent everything off

About £60 seems the going rate

Out here, not having every chimney swept professionally every year means your are SOL if you try to claim on your house insurance after a chimney fire.

Back
Top Bottom