1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fireworks have started

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ice Tea, 11 Oct 2021.

1. Hades

Caporegime

Maybe a temporal distortion? Happens all the time in Star Trek.

2. Blackjack Davy

Soldato

Havn't heard one this year yet. Stop living amongst chavs!

3. bainbridge

Mobster

I don't use them much and do find them annoying when set off outside of the traditional celebration timescales, but as a youth I was setting them off left, right and centre, as soon as the shops started selling them. one day after dismantling a banger to make a "genie", something a friend's older brother told us about, my friend and I turned up at school with no eyebrows.

4. Street

Sgarrista

They've been going off around me for the last month or so already. I sound like a grumpy old man, but they just cause unnecessary damage and frighten animals. I'd be happy with them being restricted to organised displays as there really isn't any need for Joe Public to have a rocket going off in his garden that wouldn't look out of place on one of Saddam's Scud launchers.

Two years ago, one of my neighbours was letting off massive rockets. One came down on my missus's car and shattered the sunroof putting us £100 out of pocket. I found the remains of it next to the car and it was a 6 inch hard plastic tube. If that had hit a person it would have caused some serious damage!

5. Pawnless Endgame

Capodecina

Fireworks?

Well Stafford is normally behind the times (safe Tory seat), but they are ahead of themselves for Christmas 2021! These lights were already up when I was in town on 07.Oct.2021.

[​IMG]

6. visibleman

Wise Guy

My previous dogs didn't like balloons, especially when they went "pop"; they also didn't like hoovers/vacuum cleaners, brooms, mops and the garden hoses so we should ban all of those and apply prison sentences for anyone using them or purchasing them :)

7. Ahleckz

Capodecina

Yep, that’s exactly what I’ve suggested. In fact why don’t we just ban stupidity, we could start with you?

8. Terminal_Boy

Sgarrista

Easily fixed. Just ban the sale of fireworks to the public.

9. visibleman

Wise Guy

Google suggests a balloon pop is ~155-160dB whereas it seems the UK limit of a consumer firework is ~120dB (https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN05704/SN05704.pdf) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

10. Jean-F

Mobster

I’d love for the authorities to do as you suggest, and for you to be right about sales being severely reduced.
    You go on to say that if a ban on fireworks sales was introduced, then the police should direct their energies at enforcing the ban on their sale.
    This is where it would fall down, as I said above, if those charged with enforcing the laws are allowed to constantly ignore laws that they’re not interested in enforcing, the sale of fireworks will go on.

11. MatsyLR

Mobster

Literally just heard one when I clicked on this thread, made me jump lol

12. Kenai

Capodecina

13. visibleman

Wise Guy

Sure and arguably there's other variables at play, especially with the outdoors. Although my point (in this case) was/is that balloons are pretty loud; off topic but one reason they're useful as a "pulse" source to excite rooms/locations for reverb measurements (i've used them for that exact purpose in the past).

Edit - So it's supposedly <120dB at 15m for an F3 firework. Fag packet maths suggests a balloon pop at 15m is ~127-130dB.

Last edited: 11 Oct 2021
  14. throwaway4372

Gangster

Fireworks should be banned for regular jackoffs.

15. Relentless81

Capodecina

How many people signed the petition last year? Has to be a certain amount for it to be raised by parliament, what happened to that?

Personally I think they should be restricted to events and not sold to the public but even if that happened they would still get hold of them although I would it would be a let less of an issue

16. Kenai

Capodecina

17. Ahleckz

Capodecina

Over 300,000. The government said no.

18. Relentless81

Capodecina

That answers that then!

Shame, I was hoping they would do something

19. cheesefest

Wise Guy

Leeds had theirs up one year end of September. Then didn’t take them down til mid April

20. cheesefest

Wise Guy

A friend was at home a few years back and heard this bang very close by. The following morning, she noticed that a firework landed at on her fence and damaged the panel. Even more annoyed as she only had new fencing done 3-4 weeks earlier

21. Wizzkidy

Wise Guy

I like to find the loudest banging firework I can let off in my garden just so all your grumpy sods can have a moan up.

I only agree with it on the one night a year though for the kids mainly (and maybe me)