1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First 3D printer - up to 2k ish

Discussion in 'Printers' started by 413x, Jul 14, 2017.

1. 413x

Capodecina

Going to actually buy one this month.
    Very difficult to decide what to get.
    Never used anything like it either as I guess is the case for many.

Not important
    Noise,
    Open/closed

Ideal
    Wireless/Ethernet rather than USB
    Dual extruder would be nice but probably not worth it as a first go

Important
    Resolution - 100microns or better
    Relatively large print area - just for future flexibility
    Quaility of print
    Ease of use

One thing I'd like some help on is software and what to expect. Do you get something fairly usable or do you need to purchase something?

Materials too, not sure on pros and cons etc but not too brittle, cheap per Kg, easy to use

Budget - 2k If pushed

Only really looked at guides

2. bulb66

Wise Guy

What do you plan on printing?

My first bit of advice, don't spend any where near 2k on your first printer. Buy a cheaper one, experience the struggles, learn how to print and then if your still interested mod the **** out of it and get better prints.

But to answer your points,

• Wireless/Ethernet rather than USB: SD card OK or do you want a web interface?
    • Dual extruder: Isn't worth it at this stage and buy the time you want to look into it, 3 or even 4 extruders will be the route to go.
    • 0.1mm resolution: Is pointless in most FDM prints, 0.2 or 0.3 is just fine. (If you want 0.1 or less then is FDM right for you?)
    • Big print area: How big are we talking? I have printers from 80x80x80mm upto 250x250x250mm.
    • Quaility of print: How do you judge it?
    • Ease of use: That will come with using a printer, but if a printer is setup correctly once it's printing it's easy, but even an expensive printer needs setting up.
    One thing I'd like some help on is software and what to expect. Do you get something fairly usable or do you need to purchase something? Again comes with experience there are free and paid software packages, to start with free will be fine something like Cura or Repetier-Host.

Materials too, not sure on pros and cons etc but not too brittle, cheap per Kg, easy to use: It will basically come down to PLA or ABS to start with and out of those PLA will be what you use most. Price can range from £15 to £30 per Kg.

Got any questions let me no.

J

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  3. deuse

Capodecina

4. bulb66

Wise Guy

Still looking then or....?

5. 413x

Capodecina

Yes I am. I'm not sure of the D - bot. I don't think I want to mess around with building and sourcing etc. I think I'd rather just buy something

Still struggling to decide,but absolutely want to get one now. I'm selling some dslr kit I don't use to fund it

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017 at 10:13 AM
  6. deuse

Capodecina

Then you left using a proprietary 3D printer, which is not good.

As for the D-Bot getting the parts was easy. How about this one https://zmorph3d.com/frontpage
    It can do everything.....for a price.

7. bulb66

Wise Guy

Will if you read my first reply and come back with some more info I might be able to help.

J.

8. bulb66

Wise Guy

Whats wrong with something other than a D-bot? Didn't you sell yours?