First attempt at PC Gaming

Associate
Having read hundreds of posts in order to try and spec a new PC for gaming (mainly racing sims and FPS) i have come up with the following spec:

- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB
- Intel Core i7-7700K Quad Core Processor
- Gigabyte Z270X-Ultra Gaming
- 256GB SSD Solid State Drive
- 16gb Corsair Vengeance RAM running at 2400MHz
- Western Digital 1TB - x2 Running in RAID 0
- Corsair RM650x RMx Series 650 Watt Fully Modular Power Supply Unit (80 PLUS Gold Certified)
- Cooler Master Seidon

Does anybody have any thoughts on this or any potential issues I may have regarding future upgrades. (Possibly power supply of i was to go to 2 x 1080 ti?) As i said, i have read hundreds of posts but each time i think I've settled on a plan I see something to make me think again. As a console gamer all this is very new so any pointers are gratefully recieved.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for the help guys. I will look again at the PSU, with regard the monitor, I will be using 1080p in the short term until funds allow for an upgrade to 1440 - The PC build will wipe the current reserves!
I am also looking at VR for racing sims.

Associate
The the only thing i would change, is the memory, Why get slow RAM for a spec like that, i agree with Danndy you better off getting Faster RAM, so that it doesn't be a bottleneck to your system

Soldato
Does anybody have any thoughts on this or any potential issues I may have regarding future upgrades.

Don't bother getting a beefy PSU now just in case you might go SLI; buy one when you do.
Don't bother with two HDDs in RAID 0. Get yourself a bigger HDD instead. Indeed, consider just a single high-capacity SSD.
You may find a good air cooler better and quieter than the Seidon. Look at the Noctua DH series.
You're missing a Windows license and a case.

Associate
OP
Thanks all. Im glad I'm not too far away. I will sort windows and the case - Im not too worried about looks really.
I was more concerned i get the internals sorted.

Thanks again

Associate
Thanks for the help guys. I will look again at the PSU, with regard the monitor, I will be using 1080p in the short term until funds allow for an upgrade to 1440 - The PC build will wipe the current reserves!
I am also looking at VR for racing sims.

1080Ti is a 4K card. A SINGLE 1080Ti. It is a complete waste to run this card at 1080 or 1440P.

Associate
It would be a waste to use it on a 1080p monitor but if the op is planning to buy a 144Hz/165Hz 1440p screen then that is a good match.

My 1080Ti "invisitates" as Mike Tyson would say, my 1440P 144Hz monitor. There are very few games that don't completely fly on the setup. While a 1080Ti would certainly work well with this setup, and fill in the gaps on the games where I wish I got better framerates, the 1080Ti card was really intended to be a single card +/-60FPS solution for 4K across any title you want to throw at it.

If you want to play with a 1080Ti at 1440P, pick up one of the newfangled 240Hz monitors to really let it stretch its legs. A 144Hz screen would kneecap it in so many games. For example I can get like 145-170FPS in DOOM with everything maxed completely out with my setup (see sig). I imagine a 1080Ti would push that well over 200FPS.

Soldato
My 1080Ti "invisitates" as Mike Tyson would say, my 1440P 144Hz monitor. There are very few games that don't completely fly on the setup. While a 1080Ti would certainly work well with this setup, and fill in the gaps on the games where I wish I got better framerates, the 1080Ti card was really intended to be a single card +/-60FPS solution for 4K across any title you want to throw at it.

If you want to play with a 1080Ti at 1440P, pick up one of the newfangled 240Hz monitors to really let it stretch its legs. A 144Hz screen would kneecap it in so many games. For example I can get like 145-170FPS in DOOM with everything maxed completely out with my setup (see sig). I imagine a 1080Ti would push that well over 200FPS.

So you are basing it on one game ? The review below hardly suggests it would be wasted on a 144Hz 1440p screen.

http://www.kitguru.net/components/g...dia-gtx-1080-ti-founders-edition-11gb-review/

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the responses and ideas. At the minute my budget will stretch to this card and by the sounds of it be running at a canter. I would prefer that so it gives me more options on future monitor upgrades (maybe 4k given the feedback) or possibly triples for sim racing.
I don't want to regret not getting this when i could. As you can probably tell, Im no expert on any of this and installing hardware upgrades myself is will involve many more youtube hours!
Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom