First bike 600cc, Good Idea?

Associate
Hi,
Just wondering what people think of my plan really.
been driving for around a year now but really want to get a bike next year, my favourite bike is the GSXR 600 so obviously that is what i really want.
i'll be 22 so can straight for the test to ride one, but would it be a wise choice?
a friend has a 650 but it's restricted and he's not too sure it would be a great idea to go straight to an unrestricted 600.
i drive slightly fast, but only when it's safe to do so.... open roads ect. but i think i'd be quite careful on a bike.
good idea or not?

Soldato
Hi,
Just wondering what people think of my plan really.
been driving for around a year now but really want to get a bike next year, my favourite bike is the GSXR 600 so obviously that is what i really want.
i'll be 22 so can straight for the test to ride one, but would it be a wise choice?
a friend has a 650 but it's restricted and he's not too sure it would be a great idea to go straight to an unrestricted 600.
i drive slightly fast, but only when it's safe to do so.... open roads ect. but i think i'd be quite careful on a bike.
good idea or not?

I wouldn't go with a Gixxer to start off with, something a bit calmer and more forgiving, like a older CBR600F (2000 ish?), Yamaha Fazer, Suzuki SV

Last edited:
Soldato
You've already admitted to driving fast, so jumping on a bike capable of nearing 160mph, with a 0-60 in about 3 seconds probably isn't a very good idea when the skills you have after completing a test are nothing in comparison to what you would learn over two years on a less powerful bike.

Yes there are people who do it, only you know if you have the self control or not.

Soldato
You've already admitted to driving fast, so jumping on a bike capable of nearing 160mph, with a 0-60 in about 3 seconds probably isn't a very good idea when the skills you have after completing a test are nothing in comparison to what you would learn over two years on a less powerful bike.

Yes there are people who do it, only you know if you have the self control or not.

Not just that, but riding a bike is a completely different ball game to driving fast.

Associate
OP

driving fast knowing that i'm inside a metal box is totally different to riding a bike with only your leathers and helmet to reduce the damage. i know i'd go slower on a bike atleast for a while, even then it would only be when i feel it's safe.

Associate
OP
Not just that, but riding a bike is a completely different ball game to driving fast.

my dad used to ride and has crashed( well hit a rabbit) so knows how dangerous it can be, but still thinks it's an ok idea. but maybe a different choice of bike?
i'm still looking for full fairings, but am i right in thinking power-delivery is different from bike to bike?

Soldato
driving fast knowing that i'm inside a metal box is totally different to riding a bike with only your leathers and helmet to reduce the damage. i know i'd go slower on a bike atleast for a while, even then it would only be when i feel it's safe.

I still would go for a calmer bike to start off with, it'll still give you a buzz, and if you do fall off, calmer bikes such as an SV or Fazer/Diversion have a large second hand parts selection, meaning it'll work out for cheaper. Once you've been on the bike for a year or two (yes it takes that long for most to be fully comfortable) then look at upgrading to a full sports bike, such as the ZX, GSXR etc.

Sport bikes are set for peak power high in the revs. This means you have to rev them more to get them producing peak power, leading to you having a spirited bikes.

Less sporty bikes (e.g sports tourers) have their peak power lower in the revs, meaning they have a bit of poke without revving high.

Other engines (such as the V-twin on the SV) have a sharp power delivery, but are more torquey and peak at about 8k with a redline of 10-11k.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I still would go for a calmer bike to start off with, it'll still give you a buzz, and if you do fall off, calmer bikes such as an SV or Fazer/Diversion have a large second hand parts selection, meaning it'll work out for cheaper. Once you've been on the bike for a year or two (yes it takes that long for most to be fully comfortable) then look at upgrading to a full sports bike, such as the ZX, GSXR etc

I've not really looked at other bikes, so can't say which i like. as i like full fairing bikes, would a 400 possibly be a better option?

Soldato
I went straight from a car to an SV650s via the direct access course.

It's a great first bike, very easy to handle but is still great fun (the 0-60 is still under 4 seconds). I was recommended it by a friend who also had one as his first bike.

Soldato
my dad used to ride and has crashed( well hit a rabbit) so knows how dangerous it can be, but still thinks it's an ok idea. but maybe a different choice of bike?
i'm still looking for full fairings, but am i right in thinking power-delivery is different from bike to bike?

Yes it is different varying on engine and capacity. Twins are good bikes to learn on, their power delivery is fairly constant and won't necessarily catch you out (true of my old bike). IL4s have varying amounts of power through the revs, my S4 pulls hard at about 6k revs then again at about 10k. Though there's not much torque at low revs.

Associate
you'd be fine with a 600, i bought a R6 as soon as i passed, theres no power till high in the rev range around 8k same goes for my current 600, gixxer k6.

Associate
Started out on a yzf r125 mainly for commuting to and from work, had it for about a year then thought a had enough confidence to go for a 600 machine, after many test rides a settled for a 2009 r6, i dont know about others but i wasnt really prepared for the leap even tho i thought a was, had the head on which says go for it you need a bigger bike now lol, even tho the power isnt really there till about 9k its still a pretty lethal machine for a new rider, add say minimum of 2 years riding experience pretty much just to get good road craft and body positioning sorted on a smaller bike then you can take what you learned onto the bigger machines, just ma 2 cents :)

Associate
Some people do fine on a fast bike straight after the test with little experience, others dont and end up as A & E stats or RIP.

I think if you have will power, can control the right hand and are a willing learner then you can and should go to a powerful bike, theyre in some ways easier to ride(well for me anyway).

I did 6months on a CBR125 around London and Surrey and that set me in perfect stead for a CBR600F as I was ready for a bigger bike by then.

Soldato
Some of the most enjoyable experiences for me were getting gradually faster bikes.

125>400>600, the 400 and 600 felt like missiles in comparison to the 125 and 400. Jumping straight on a 600 for me would have meant I lost out on the thrill of 'upgrading'.

Associate
My first bike on the road was a 929cc fireblade, although i did ride 250/500cc 2 stroke motorcrossers.

It all depends on how much you can trust yourself to keep your right hand under control really, a gsxr600 isn't that much faster than an SV on the road. It just feels like it due to the performance being a lot higher up in the rev range. I'd agree that bigger bikes can be easier to ride, I'd certainly rather ride a big bike steady than try to revs the nutts off a smaller machine.

In a straight line duel however, any sports 600 would totally murder it! (sv)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I think 125 to sports 600 is ok... 600s are pretty docile if you keep revs low, and your only gonna high side out of a corner if you are in way to low a gear and are ham fisted on throttle

I went 125 > 250 (kr1) > 600, shame the 250 class is dead it was a nice little stop gap...

Scrub that went 50 > 70 > 125 > 250 > 600 > 250 > 125 > 400 > 600 > 1300 > 1000 > 1000 > 1200 > 1000 lol

Soldato
My 2p…

I jumped on a Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R as my first bike, a few weeks after passing direct access, with zero riding experience prior to the intensive course; and subsequent re-test.

Although I didn’t seek anyone’s advice on the matter, as I was dead set on a ‘sportsbike’, I was aware of the old saying that a sports 600 as a first bike was a bad idea, or at least, not the best decision. But I’m happy to report that it was a perfectly fine decision.

It’s totally down to the individual; I myself used to drive fast, but calmed that down a year or so, prior taking my bike test, not due to an accident, just down to the fact driving quick felt pointless. I knew the respect a bike deserved and adjusted my mindset accordingly, and enjoyed many thousands of miles happy biking – until some plonker knocked me off.

If you’re dead set on a GSXR 600, go for it, there’s no reason not to if that’s what your heart is telling you, you just need to get your head in check before jumping on one, you need to appreciate that you have zero protection on the vehicle and that full kit will only give an extra layer of protection, not make you invincible.

+1 for following your heart, but using your head :D

Associate
I went straight to an SV650 following a DAS course.

Personally I wouldn't have liked anything bigger to start with, I've had a couple of "moments" following being too heavy handed with the throttle, but that's just me.

Any bike over 600cc will be faster at accelerating than the vast majority of cars on the road. So the kicks will be there regardless of the route you take.

End of the day it's your decision. :)

Back
Top Bottom