First bike after CBT - Yamaha YBR125 OR Honda CBF125

Soldato
OP
I prefer the Honda, the Yamaha looks "skinny" if that is even a thing :)

The Yamaha is newer but the Honda done less miles and £300 cheaper.

The tyres seem a bit wider on the Honda too.

Associate
Can't go wrong with either. I had a Honda CB125r, probably the same engine, meant to be Bullet proof. But people say the exact same about the Yamaha 125s. Go for the better deal.

Soldato
OP
Can't go wrong with either. I had a Honda CB125r, probably the same engine, meant to be Bullet proof. But people say the exact same about the Yamaha 125s. Go for the better deal.

The Honda is £300 on sticker cheaper and has been very well looked after by a collector it seems. Barely used. The Yamaha has damage to exhaust and windshield too I noticed so that is not in the running anymore.

The Honda just seems a "bigger" bike.

Caporegime
Ah, the luxury of a keyboard. Now I can say more than a few words.

The CBF125 was superceded by the CB125F, which is made in India and it shows, just look at the crap spindly spokes on the wheels, they look like they'd buckle on the first pothole. The YBR 125 has also been superceded by the YS125. I've not seen many and I live in London where delivery bikes outnumber ants, there might be something to be said there.

Personally I'd want the Honda, purely out of taste and although the amount of plastic around the tank is quite small, it's still a bit more handsome and it'll be a bit comfier. Either way it's a 125cc, it'll have 4 moving parts, get you from Land's End to John'O'Groats for twenty quid, cost you £17 a year in tax and provided you're not buying new, you'll probably only lose a couple of hundred on the resale value.

Enjoy :)

Man of Honour
I had the Yamaha YBR but I think the Honda looks a little better. I wasn't bothered which I got but The YBR came up first and I also found it slightly more comfortable than the Honda CBF I used on my CBT.

It cost almost nothing to run. I loved it

Caporegime
I loved it

This is the thing isn't it. Loads of "real bikers" take the mick because I ride a scooter, but I don't think it really matters what you ride when you first step out of a car, the change is immense. I still love riding it every day, this tube strike we've got going on has resulted in London's roads being absolutely rammed, you can feel the tension amongst the drivers and I just zip past them all without a care in the world. I just bought my wife a Vespa too, we're already starting to plan our first trips on our scooters, Cheddar Gorge & Bath likely being the first one, followed by Isle of Wight.

No, they're not fast and no they're not flashy but they're still fantastic fun and I have a lot less risk than on a bigger bike plus I can stash tons of crap in it. I suspect we'll get bigger bikes in a few years but I can't see us ever getting rid of the scoots, for London they're simply unbeatable.

Man of Honour
This is the thing isn't it. Loads of "real bikers" take the mick because I ride a scooter, but I don't think it really matters what you ride when you first step out of a car, the change is immense. I still love riding it every day, this tube strike we've got going on has resulted in London's roads being absolutely rammed, you can feel the tension amongst the drivers and I just zip past them all without a care in the world. I just bought my wife a Vespa too, we're already starting to plan our first trips on our scooters, Cheddar Gorge & Bath likely being the first one, followed by Isle of Wight.

No, they're not fast and no they're not flashy but they're still fantastic fun and I have a lot less risk than on a bigger bike plus I can stash tons of crap in it. I suspect we'll get bigger bikes in a few years but I can't see us ever getting rid of the scoots, for London they're simply unbeatable.
Anyone on two wheels is a biker as far as I'm concerned. I desperately wanted a Vespa. I nearly got one instead of my Bonneville. I think your wife will love it. I still don't know about my return to biking but if I do then a Vespa may be on the cards at some point.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I desperately want a Vespa. I nearly got one instead of my Bonneville. I think your wife will love it.

I'll come visit you on it, you only live down the road. If you're up to it you can take it for a spin too, see if it might be a halfway house between not riding and a big bike. I'm sure your lady will be a lot more receptive of it too, most women are :D

Man of Honour
I'll come visit you on it, you only live down the road. If you're up to it you can take it for a spin too, see if it might be a halfway house between not riding and a big bike. I'm sure your lady will be a lot more receptive of it too, most women are :D
Thanks, that would be great.

Funny enough I may be "forced" onto one. I return to work on Monday but earlier this week my employer warned me that my role is at risk of redundancy (probably helped by the fact my work has been federated out to several people while I was off sick). So I've started looking for jobs just in case the worst happens. If I find a local one then I'd look at Vespa for commuting (my wife still not keen on the idea - may need some convincing). My main injury was to my leg and a scooter seems safer in that regard as it's inboard rather than around the bike.

Caporegime
Thanks, that would be great.

Funny enough I may be "forced" onto one. I return to work on Monday but earlier this week my employer warned me that my role is at risk of redundancy (probably helped by the fact my work has been federated out to several people while I was off sick). So I've started looking for jobs just in case the worst happens. If I find a local one then I'd look at Vespa for commuting (my wife still not keen on the idea - may need some convincing). My main injury was to my leg and a scooter seems safer in that regard as it's inboard rather than around the bike.

Bloody hell, sorry to hear that, what awful news to hear after all you've been through this year. I won't derail this thread any more but make no mistake I'll come visit you at some point in the coming weeks.

Soldato
OP
Last edited:
Caporegime
It is big and shiny, want some pics?

I got this:

For a budget helmet, no complaints. Measured my head and ordered size as they suggested, fits perfectly. Am sure will find problems with it the longer I am riding but for a noob, is great.

Just need to get gloves, jacket and boots before I pick up the bike on Tuesday.

AGV is one of the best brands of helmet you can get, very far from a budget brand. If it's good enough for the likes of Valentino Rossi, I'm sure you'll be fine :D

Google "Devitts sportsbikeshop discount code" for an additional 10% off, they give them out when you insure your bike with them but people tend to share the codes on forums and facebook groups and whatnot, shouldn't be too hard to find.

I will say that spending a bit on a jacket is important, if you don't get something comfy in as many weather types as possible, you'll be buying twice or simply not wearing it. I bought a Dainese Laguna Seca and it's fantastic. Comfy, fairly water proof, loads of zips for extra ventilation on hot days, elbow and shoulder guards pre-installed with a pouch for a back protector (another must imo) and zip up pockets. I can't see myself buying another jacket for a while.

Back
Top Bottom