First birthday present to girlfriend

Soldato
It's coming up to my girlfriends birthday and have a couple of ideas - She likes the theater, I do not (as i expect most men don't) but happy to go to something. She mentioned a London visit but a night/weekend in London would set me back £500 minimum which I just don't have at the moment.

She doesnt't have a laptop and I have a spare one which I don't use, its a few years old but obviously second hand. How would you feel about being given a second hand laptop/any electronic device for your birthday if you wanted one?

Man of Honour
Don't do the second hand laptop thing, regardless of how logical and sensible it might be. Either sell it and get her something new, or look in to the London thing properly and you'll see how it doesn't have to be anywhere near £500 if planned properly. Does it have to be London?

Soldato
I presume you live a long way from London? If its feasible to see something and get a late train, that shouldn't sting anywhere near £500. That said I'd have thought even an overnight could be done for more like £250.

Alternatively, go to a nearer theatre if anything decent is on.

Edit - The Lion King for example, shows at 14.30 and 19.30 on a Saturday, if you really couldn't stretch to a hotel, a lunchtime show would be doable surely?

I haz 4090!
Don
Get someone more your age.

Hahaha, this was the first thing that I thought when I read the title!

Giving your other half a grubby old laptop for her birthday will instantly make her think "Maybe I need to reassess what I'm doing here".

As others have said, where are you based? Can't you go to a local theatre instead?

Man of Honour
Yeah the second hand laptop that you don't use is not romantic etc, I would give her this in a few weeks just as a surprise. She will think you are sweet then. Have you been to the theatre? I like it and I'm proper manly :o

I haz 4090!
Don
Yeah the second hand laptop that you don't use is not romantic etc, I would give her this in a few weeks just as a surprise. She will think you are sweet then. Have you been to the theatre? I like it and I'm proper manly :o

Bet you can't wait for Mamma Mia to start at the Palace! :D

Man of Honour
Theatre and late night train back (depending on how far away you are from London of course). The second hand laptop is a bad idea.

EDIT: If too far away for a train back home the same night then look at staying somewhere outside of London which is reachable by train or tube. That may cut the price down a bit.

Permabanned
Mate you have a lot to learn. Do not give her the laptop, they prefer something thoughtful which doesn’t necessarily mean expensive. Get some theatre tickets to something local and a meal out. A small piece of jewellery that compliments her other things.

Not second hand tech, you will be single after giving her that.

Soldato
I feel like the second hand laptop might go down like a lead balloon...

Might be worth just dropping the £500 on theater tickets and hotel :p

Back
Top Bottom