First build in 8 years! (M-ITX Kaby Lake)

Man of Honour
Hi guys

So the last time I built a PC was 8 years ago! Since then I have just been using high end laptops and console gaming until 2015 when I sold my PS3. Not too sure why I stopped, think I just concentrated on other hobbies such as DIY and cars.

After seeing many Youtube videos about GTX 10 series, Kaby Lake, M2 Drives, G-Sync ect I just had to build a new rig. This is the setup I finally decided on

Fractal Design Define Nano S Mini-ITX Case - Black Window
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 Windforce 2x 8192MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz (Kaby Lake) Socket LGA1151 Processor - OaEM
Team Group Delta 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C16 3000MHz Dual Channel Kit - Red Light (TDTRD416G3000H
Super Flower Platinum King 550W 80 Plus Platinum Power Supply - Black
Asrock Z270M-ITX/ac Intel Z270 (Socket 1151) DDR4 Mini ITX Motherboard
Cryorig C7 Top Flow CPU heatsink
Intel 600P 256GB M.2-2280 PCI-e 3.0 x 4 NVMe 3D NAND Solid State Drive (SSDPEKKW256G7X1)
Seagate BarraCuda 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache HDD - OEM (ST2000DM006)
Dell S2417DG 24" 2560x1440 TN G-SYNC Widescreen LED Monitor - Midnight Grey

Here are some pictures

First Impressions - It's the fastest computer I have ever used, That said I wish I hadn't bothered with a G Sync monitor and just got a 144hz. The case is also not as small and as quiet as I would have liked, In fact, I had to move it from the desk to the floor just so the noise wasn't annoying

This mess was the last thing I built haha (C2D, GTX260)

imgupload

Associate
Hey Danny, posted in your other thread but thought I would stop by here too. Shame you're not that fussed about G Sync, I couldn't be without it now. I guess it depends on the games you play though, when framerates drop below 100 I really notice the tearing and inconsistant frame timings when I turn it off.

Your builds looking very smart though, enjoy.

Soldato
I had no idea Team Group Delta looked so much like Avexir! If you haven't done (and dont want to sound patronising so ignore if you have) you need to change to XMP in bios - 2133 is too slow for the lake chips.

Very nice and tidy btw, love my MITX builds.

Man of Honour
OP
I had no idea Team Group Delta looked so much like Avexir! If you haven't done (and dont want to sound patronising so ignore if you have) you need to change to XMP in bios - 2133 is too slow for the lake chips.

Very nice and tidy btw, love my MITX builds.

Hi yeh I have set it to XMP already, Thanks

Soldato
This mess was the last thing I built haha

We've all done some of those....well, at least those of us over a certain age anyway. It never used to be a design aim to make the inside look good since you were always going to have a solid lid on it anyway *shrug*

The case is also not as small and as quiet as I would have liked, In fact, I had to move it from the desk to the floor just so the noise wasn't annoying

Small, maybe not but if it were 'proper' ITX size you wouldn't have got that GPU in there. A bit more space gives you the option to do more watercooling...which solves the problem of noise. A decent fan controller may also be your friend. I'd recommend the Aquaero - expensive but powerful and flexible. An Aquaero 5 LT (or a 6 LT if you can find them!) will fit in that case as it doesn't have a screen. If the dimensions are similar to the larger version of that case, you can get it mounted in the space under your hard disk.
Next challenge is obviously to watercool the GPU....be rude not to! :p ;)

Man of Honour
OP
We've all done some of those....well, at least those of us over a certain age anyway. It never used to be a design aim to make the inside look good since you were always going to have a solid lid on it anyway *shrug*

Small, maybe not but if it were 'proper' ITX size you wouldn't have got that GPU in there. A bit more space gives you the option to do more watercooling...which solves the problem of noise. A decent fan controller may also be your friend. I'd recommend the Aquaero - expensive but powerful and flexible. An Aquaero 5 LT (or a 6 LT if you can find them!) will fit in that case as it doesn't have a screen. If the dimensions are similar to the larger version of that case, you can get it mounted in the space under your hard disk.
Next challenge is obviously to watercool the GPU....be rude not to! :p ;)

I wish someone made AIO water cooler that did cpu and gpu.... Or maybe I could get 2 x 120mm seperate ones

After 7 hours on BF1 last night the GPU fans were quite noisy, but not unacceptably bad, temps were 57*c

Man of Honour
OP
Hey Danny, posted in your other thread but thought I would stop by here too. Shame you're not that fussed about G Sync, I couldn't be without it now. I guess it depends on the games you play though, when framerates drop below 100 I really notice the tearing and inconsistant frame timings when I turn it off.

Your builds looking very smart though, enjoy.

Hi mate I think G-Sync is one of those things if you take it away you'd miss it

My monitor price and GPU have gone up 5-10% since I purchased so I am quite happy about that

Soldato
I wish someone made AIO water cooler that did cpu and gpu.... Or maybe I could get 2 x 120mm seperate ones

After 7 hours on BF1 last night the GPU fans were quite noisy, but not unacceptably bad, temps were 57*c

The EK Predator stuff will do both - it has a QDC (Quick DisConnect) so that you can plug in either another rad or a GPU block. Once you're fitting the block yourself though, I'm not sure there's all that much need to go AIO. Also, having looked, it seems that EK have stopped making them. Could be some around as end-of-line stock though. They do claim to be launching something in the spring - could be worth a look.

Soldato
EK pred or Alphacool Eisbear , £188 all in to water cool both and a dual rad with them. New GPU you keep the waterblock but buy a new heat sink , half the cost of a full block ;)

Associate
The EK Predator stuff will do both - it has a QDC (Quick DisConnect) so that you can plug in either another rad or a GPU block. Once you're fitting the block yourself though, I'm not sure there's all that much need to go AIO. Also, having looked, it seems that EK have stopped making them. Could be some around as end-of-line stock though. They do claim to be launching something in the spring - could be worth a look.

EK are bringing out a new modular AIO system in the second quarter of the year (they were saying Q3 but have changed that in the past few days to 'beginning of Q2'). This will allow for the first time to have an AIO GPU only water block system, or CPU or both as you want.
I am so ready for a GPU system. A GPU water block system of this ease has been such a gap in the market so far. I know there has been at least one option but it involves 2 fans, so I think would improve nothing on the noise factor, and it doesn't have the quality of EK. I think if EK can keep the price within touching distance they could sell swimming pools full.

https://www.ekwb.com/news/ek-is-announcing-modular-liquid-cooling-products/

''The EK-MLC is going to replace the current EK-XLC family of products, which means that all EK-XLC Predator models of the 1st generation are being discontinued and have reached the end of life status as of today''

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom