first car cheap to insure and buy recommendations

Soldato
Hi there im a 23 student living in a terraced street and have nearly 2 years driving experience.

I have been insured under my dads insurance on his car for about 18months now

please give me some advice about what to buy, and anything which is cheap and fun :D

thanks for now:D

Associate
any guidance on age, milage and diesel or petrol?

i think youd be better off searching the forums for first car threads as theres plenty of them and theyll have better advice then what i can give as im in the same position as you and the list i gave is those which ive seen appear in other threads

Soldato
i think youd be better off searching the forums for first car threads as theres plenty of them and theyll have better advice then what i can give as im in the same position as you and the list i gave is those which ive seen appear in other threads

It's quite difficult to as you can't search for 'first' on these forums.

I bought a 51 plate Focus 1.6 Zetec with a similar budget at 18, 2 months after passing.

Soldato
Bought it in February. The only thing it has needed was a new sidelight and it sailed through its MOT.

Cost me £2000 and insurance was £1300 with business and DOC cover for myself.

Man of Honour
ive had a look and erm got 2 choices atm

206 Y reg 1.9diesel AC

yaris 01 reg 1.3vvt-i SR

both around the 2k mark and group 4-5

If you are going to look at pugs, please dont even give a 206 the time of day, its really a very poor car - you could get a 306HDI 2.0 with all the toys attached well within your budget which will be better.

Soldato
2 things that I'll always say in these threads.

Forget the 206, they're rubbish - they're cheap for a reason

Secondly, don't blinker yourself with insurance groups and engine sizes etc.

I think you can do better than a 206 or Yaris - something like a Focus Zetec would be perfect at that budget

Soldato
Yup, you definitely don't need to be in groups 1&2 like some people think. I personally find quite a lot of variation within the groups too - my old Toledo was IG6 but was a hell of a lot cheaper to insure than other group 6 cars

Soldato
Thats a hell of a jump from a 206!

They're relatively thirsty for what they are but otherwise very good cars - have you seen it/driven it yet?

Back
Top Bottom