First Car (mature driver)

Soldato
Being a Londoner I got away without really needing to drive for a long time but for a few reasons that's changed and I'm now close to booking my practical test, so hopefully I'll have passed soon and will need something to drive. Alas, I know very little about cars. Learning in a DS3 and not enamoured with that.

I'm 32 so I'm not sure if that will come into play with first-time-driver insurance (I'm sure it'll still be high and BR5 seems to be a Cat E area too...) and I have a bit more money to spend than a 17 year old, but at the time from what I've gleaned from skimming treads I probably shouldn't be looking to spend too much either for the usual reasons.

Driving would mostly be town runaround with occasional motorway/longer distances. Only real list of wants would be:

• 5-door, don't want it to be cramped in the back
• As good an interior/comfort (for longer drives) as I could expect for a first car
• The usual reliability/economy/cost of any parts etc stuff
• Decent visibility/vision/driving position or whatever you'd call it
(• Love my hi-fi so something I could stick a CarPlay receiver in and some better speakers although this might be something that's dead-easy to do on most cars)

I've searched a bit and seen things like Civics, Grande/Evo Puntos, Mazda 2s, Ibizas, Fabias - anything in particular that's recommended? I've looked at places like Honest John and all he ever recommends is a Yaris 1.3, but I don't want the same car as my mum! :D:o I don't really want something like a Fiesta either just because they seem so ubiquitous, although I recognise that's not a strong reason not to consider one!

Man of Honour
don't really want something like a Fiesta either just because they seem so ubiquitous

They are ubiquitous because they are the best small car on the market, arguably. The Punto is a terrible prehistoric thing which dates from 2005 and is remarkably still being sold new.

Not buying a Fiesta because it's common is like buying a Blackberry because everyone has android or iPhone..

Soldato
Out of that selection of cars the Fiesta will probably have the most value with regards to kit.

Plus the 1.0 turbo is a nippy little thing even with 5 people sat in one.

Soldato
OP
I'd probably want the next size up in cars if you're in your 30's. Look a the Ford Focus, Mazda 3, Seat Leon etc.

I did consider that, although obviously I'll have to see how insurance compares.

I wouldn't splash out to much on a first car. Get something oldish but still good.

That's the plan!

They are ubiquitous because they are the best small car on the market, arguably. The Punto is a terrible prehistoric thing which dates from 2005 and is remarkably still being sold new.

Not buying a Fiesta because it's common is like buying a Blackberry because everyone has android or iPhone..

This is true. I assume though that like the Corsa or Clio or something, lots of them on the road + lots of young people driving them = probably end up paying more for insurance than something which less young people drive? I'm sort of working on the assumption picking something likely less common but still good means I can save a bit on insurance.

Man of Honour
I'm not too far off you at 29 and the insurance isn't too bad for my Clio. Postcode is a key factor though.

Probably best to run some quotes and see what different cars would cost you. I don't think the saving on the insurance will be that relevant at your age however to the point where it will impact your car choice.

Man of Honour
Driving a crap car because it's unpopularity might make insurance cheap seems like a silly idea. You're 32, any saving in insurance between different makes of small car is likely not material.

You wouldn't buy a rubbish television because nobody else bought it so don't do the same with a supermini.

Soldato
If you want new :
New Ibiza if you can afford it!

New compact version of MQB platform, decent infotainment system (Fiesta's new system looks a bit rubbish tbh, though I must admit I haven't tried it, I've tried the pre 2016 one) with decent phone integration.
I liked the way the Fiesta drove, but I couldn't stand the position (eg. armrest positions, or lack thereof) . Same as the Focus, it wasn't really comfortable.

But I'm guessing new is not needed?
I'd just stick to something cheap and Japanese, cheaper to drive. Indeed Yaris or Corolla/Auris. If you can find a Civic that has been of an old guy instead of a chav then also a very wise choice.
Old Fabia is very cheap and simple A to B motoring, just not very roomy in the back and very very boring to drive (but for example the 1.4mpi can be abused to oblivion and it will keep going). Provided you have cruise and a/c it's not tiring to drive in my exp.

Soldato
I'd get yourself a good example focus mk2. There are loads out there, have plenty of room in the back, are nice to drive, aren't expensive to insure, are cheap to run and are just generally decent reliable motors.

I went from a mk2 Focus to a mk5 SEAT Ibiza at the age of 31 because I rarely have anyone else in my car and having a smaller car is dead handy for me personally but I do miss the extra room for storing junk and would have another focus no question.

Associate
If you can find a Civic that has been of an old guy instead of a chav then also a very wise choice.

Having just bought a 56 Civic 1.8, I fully endorse this. Very comfortable and oodles of space in the back. Only thing is that visibility out the back isn't great, and hooking up CarPlay would involve dismantling the dash. Still can't believe Honda didn't put aux connections in Civic's until 2009. Bizarrely, mine says CD/Aux but has no aux connection.

Man of Honour
Having recently helped buy my other halfs first car at 23 , make sure you check all sorts of cars as said above.

Her insurance was Similar on a 1.2 Mk1 Fabia to a Mid 2000s Passat, Audi A3/4, 05 Mondeo, some Saab estates etc

At 23, I had a 380bhp 4.0 Jag XJR insured for £720 FC - when they still wanted £1600 for a 2.0 Focus - figure that out.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies! Having looked at the Civic more the visibility out the back doesn't look very encouraging so I'll probably scratch that off the list. Re the suggestion of a Focus... I'm not adverse to that idea at all as they're still relatively compact and I'd be happy with something practical and sensible. The Mazda 3 looks great too and would tick the Japanese box (I suppose that would be a case of reliability v.s. cheaper parts/repairs with the Ford?).

Postcode-wise as said I'm Cat E which is the 2nd worst but that's only one part of the equation.

Soldato
Focus's are also very reliable mate, even compared to a Mazda 3. Don't be convinced that because a car is Japanese, nothing will go wrong!

Although a friend of mine had a Mazda 3 sport which was a really nice place to be! Great cars :)

Soldato
OP
Focus's are also very reliable mate, even compared to a Mazda 3. Don't be convinced that because a car is Japanese, nothing will go wrong!

Although a friend of mine had a Mazda 3 sport which was a really nice place to be! Great cars :)

Noted. I do like the interior of the 3 compared to the Focus though...

What don't you like about the DS3 as that might sway what people recommend?

My instructor has the Cabrio version. I obviously don't have anything to compare driving it to, but it feels stiff and certainly isn't very forgiving going over humps and bumps in the road. The visibility feels only 'ok' - the A pillars seem to obstruct my vision a bit, the windows a bit pokey and I feel like I've been in cars where the mirrors offer a better view.

This guy is on the money imo.

That said not seen any mention of budget so not sure if that might be a factor (or if you're looking @ new?)

Wouldn't be new; first car and all. I was thinking (not including insurance) up to about £3k? I could go up to £4-5k if I wanted to but for a first car I don't want to go mad.

Back
Top Bottom