First ever gaming PC

Soldato
What's your budget for a monitor? Depends what you want out of it too.

With the 5700 XT GPU, you'll be able to run a 1440p monitor comfortable whilst gaming. Which will look much more crisp, sharper and nicer image quality (usually). Or if you want to smash as high a refresh rate as possible playing FPS and you're very competitive, then you may like 1080p 240Hz+

But as a casual/non-competitive I'd go 1440p, it looks stunning :) But again depends on your budget :p Personally I have the Dell S2719DGF and it's a fantastic monitor.

Associate
OP
i happy to pay around £300 as that seems to be the price point roughly for either, i currently have a 60hz 1080p monitor & play PS4.

i have read that the biggest jump in 60hz to 144hz so im tempted to go 144hz & 1440p, will my PC be able to run that easily?

The Monitor i was looking at is this one.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
What i dont want is to sacrifice frames, i want to run at 144hz but at the same time have the best quality if that makes sense. so if my PC will happily run 144hz & 1440p i would obviously choose that option.

Soldato
Yeah it's a decent monitor if you want to keep it <£300. But I'd edit your link out, as that's an OcUK competitor and can't link due to forum rules.

Having a 5700 XT it's defo worth investing in 1440p

Associate
OP
Thanks again for your help i think i will go with the 1440p as im actually pretty bad at most games so at least they will look good while im dying haha.

Associate
Can't see which screen you were looking at now. :D

Another option if its not that one is the Acer VG270UP. Great monitor for the price sub £300 1440p 144 MHz IPS panel 1ms response time. Only issue is some people find the stand rubbish but can be fixed by adding a desk mount.

Associate
OP
i think you just recommended the exact one i was talking about Acer VG270U Pbmiipx.

i have a spare mount ready so stand is no issue, seems like this is the choice then, thanks.

https://uk.************.com/product...x-270-2560x1440-144-hz-monitor-vg270u-pbmiipx

Associate
OP
Hello Again PC arrived & im more than happy.

A guy i know thinks i got ripped off, i think he is full of crap. he says he is getting this for £900 help me call him out haha.

PC SPECIFICATION (Click to view full spec) FREE - BullGuard Internet Security 100Mb, 3 Users, 1 Year CiT G Force Gaming Case - Black/RGB AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8GHz (4.4GHz Turbo) Hex-Core CPU (Includes Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition!) Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition CPU Cooler NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6GB Graphics Card 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz DDR4 (2x8GB) Memory 1TB Seagate BarraCuda Hard Drive ASUS Prime B450M-K Motherboard Aerocool Integrator 700W 80+ Power Supply 300Mbps TP-Link WIFI Card Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64 Bit GameMax Strike RGB Gaming Mouse Trust Spotlight Streaming Pack 3 Year Protect Warranty (Return to Base - 1 yr Parts, 3 year labour, Carriage Free for first 30 days) Standard Dispatch Time - 7-10 working days, (Mon-Fri)

Thanks.

Associate
Hello Again PC arrived & im more than happy.

A guy i know thinks i got ripped off, i think he is full of crap. he says he is getting this for £900 help me call him out haha.

PC SPECIFICATION (Click to view full spec) FREE - BullGuard Internet Security 100Mb, 3 Users, 1 Year CiT G Force Gaming Case - Black/RGB AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8GHz (4.4GHz Turbo) Hex-Core CPU (Includes Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition!) Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition CPU Cooler NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6GB Graphics Card 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz DDR4 (2x8GB) Memory 1TB Seagate BarraCuda Hard Drive ASUS Prime B450M-K Motherboard Aerocool Integrator 700W 80+ Power Supply 300Mbps TP-Link WIFI Card Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64 Bit GameMax Strike RGB Gaming Mouse Trust Spotlight Streaming Pack 3 Year Protect Warranty (Return to Base - 1 yr Parts, 3 year labour, Carriage Free for first 30 days) Standard Dispatch Time - 7-10 working days, (Mon-Fri)

Thanks.

Your pc is a lot better than his, looks like he's been ripped off to be honest! :D

Soldato
I just told you why in my post :p Clearly your ‘friend’ is jealous, he hasn’t a clue himself it seems.

Just the graphics card alone yours is a lot better. The YT video I linked shows the game benchmarks, your card achieves much more FPS than his 1660 Ti.

You also have a 1TB SSD - so your Windows, software and games will be much smoother and faster to boot and load up. Your apparent friend only has an old HDD so will be much slower and clunkier to boot and load.

Associate
OP
Hello again guys,

I am having some issues running COD Warzone on 144fps & 1440p, my GPU is running at 100% should it be? the graphics are sometimes off & i get lag in close quarter fights.

Soldato
Yeah it means your GPU is doing it's job :p What do you mean by the graphics are sometimes 'off'? If it's stuttering then could be a potential AMD driver issue. It should run fairly well on high @ 1440p for COD MW...

Also what sort of 'lag' is it? Have you enabled the FPS counter, are you seeing your FPS drop? Or is it network/latency lag possibly?

Lastly, what AMD driver version do you have? The latest WHQL ones are 20.4.2 but could be worth updating to the newer 20.5.1 optional drivers, could have some tweaks and performance improvements.

Edit: Have you enabled FreeSync and ensured your refresh rate is set to 144Hz btw? ;) Worth checking.

Associate
OP
Hey,

Thanks for responding the driver is 26.20.15015.1007, i have freesync enabled & there is also an option for enabling virtual super resolution to change DPI.

i have the FPS counter on & its all over the place really 60fps at worst then 120 normal but it flits around a lot. In game i have frame rate set to 144, gameplay max 300, menu max 60, out of focus max 30.

in terms of graphics its lots of different stuff but not all the time, walls disappearing, grainy pixelated view & it seems like input lag close quaters sometimes stuttering when i run jump. That could be server based or the fact i'm on wifi for the next few days but it is 200mb.

i have just seen their is an update on the actual Radeon app so i will do that now the 20.5.1 you mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom